PDA

View Full Version : Should Faking a Name on Facebook Be a Felony?

RonPaulFanInGA
09-15-2011, 06:15 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903285704576562294116160896.html

green73
09-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Imagine that President Obama could order the arrest of anyone who broke a promise on the Internet. So you could be jailed for lying about your age or weight on an Internet dating site. Or you could be sent to federal prison if your boss told you to work but you used the company's computer to check sports scores online. Imagine that Eric Holder's Justice Department urged Congress to raise penalties for violations, making them felonies allowing three years in jail for each broken promise. Fanciful, right?

Think again. Congress is now poised to grant the Obama administration's wishes in the name of "cybersecurity."

o_O

tangent4ronpaul
09-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Remarkably, the law doesn't even require devices to be connected to the Internet. Since 2008, it applies to pretty much everything with a microchip. So if you're visiting a friend and you use his coffeemaker without permission, watch out: You may have committed a federal crime.

:eek:

ItsTime
09-15-2011, 08:07 AM
:eek:

Damn Ill be committing like 20 felonies a day! j/k

Wren
09-15-2011, 08:10 AM
WTF. Also, I find facebook to be offensive in the sense that they demand that you register with your real name, age, address etc.

and..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G87jOx1VJ3o&feature=channel_video_title

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-15-2011, 10:00 AM
I wish they had titled that title differently. That first link could get A LOT of well received play on facebook.

It would get a lot of play on facebook with a different title like "Should it be a felony to check your facebook at work?"

Anyone got a news site where they could re-title it and we can run it viral?

Peace&Freedom
09-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Why should a private network be subject to identification laws, as if it were a government agency? Is this a backdoor admission that FB is already an NSA co-opted project?

oyarde
09-15-2011, 10:07 AM
My boss will not allow a coffee maker in my facility . Or , I would be using the hell out of it :)

oyarde
09-15-2011, 10:17 AM
On a serious note , why would that be a felony ?

Anti Federalist
09-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Why should a private network be subject to identification laws, as if it were a government agency? Is this a backdoor admission that FB is already an NSA co-opted project?

There you go.

Of course it's a felony.

You are giving false information to federal "officers".

You are insane if you use your real name and stats on Facebook. You might as well just invite an NSA spook into your home to live with you.

tangent4ronpaul
09-15-2011, 10:39 AM
My boss will not allow a coffee maker in my facility . Or , I would be using the hell out of it :)

He's a Mormon - right?

tangent4ronpaul
09-15-2011, 10:42 AM

There you go.

Of course it's a felony.

You are giving false information to federal "officers".

You are insane if you use your real name and stats on Facebook. You might as well just invite an NSA spook into your home to live with you.

Spooks actually make pretty good roomies - though depending on their job description, they sometimes take their work home with them.... ie: direct it at those they live with - that can be a major drag... been there, done that.

AFPVet
09-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Facebook is a private entity... if you want to use fake information, go for it. Once more, they are using existing laws to push the envelope and extend beyond the original intent (much like the Constitution). Lawmakers should be charged with violating the original intent of the Constitution. That would make them think twice....

TonySutton
09-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Someone needs to invite Perry and Romney over to their house for a cup of coffee. :p

Anti Federalist
09-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Everyone With an Online Dating Profile Could Soon Be a Felon

Thursday, September 15th, 2011

http://www.theagitator.com/2011/09/15/everyone-with-an-online-dating-profile-could-soon-be-a-felon/

Orin Kerr explains:

The little-known law at issue is called the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. It was enacted in 1986 to punish computer hacking. But Congress has broadened the law every few years, and today it extends far beyond hacking. The law now criminalizes computer use that “exceeds authorized access” to any computer. Today that violation is a misdemeanor, but the Senate Judiciary Committee is set to meet this morning to vote on making it a felony.

The problem is that a lot of routine computer use can exceed “authorized access.” Courts are still struggling to interpret this language. But the Justice Department believes that it applies incredibly broadly to include “terms of use” violations and breaches of workplace computer-use policies.

Breaching an agreement or ignoring your boss might be bad. But should it be a federal crime just because it involves a computer? If interpreted this way, the law gives computer owners the power to criminalize any computer use they don’t like. Imagine the Democratic Party setting up a public website and announcing that no Republicans can visit. Every Republican who checked out the site could be a criminal for exceeding authorized access.

If that sounds far-fetched, consider a few recent cases. In 2009, the Justice Department prosecuted a woman for violating the “terms of service” of the social networking site MySpace.com. The woman had been part of a group that set up a MySpace profile using a fake picture. The feds charged her with conspiracy to violate the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. Prosecutors say the woman exceeded authorized access because MySpace required all profile information to be truthful. But people routinely misstate the truth in online profiles, about everything from their age to their name. What happens when each instance is a felony?

What happens is merely another step toward the complete criminalization of everyday life.

Anti Federalist
09-15-2011, 02:11 PM
We're all on our way to prison.

Better snap out of it folks.

The time is coming to fight, fuck or hit the fence.

brushfire
09-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Pen names would have to be illegal then too - such as Mark Twain...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yndfqN1VKhY

DamianTV
09-15-2011, 03:13 PM
We're all on our way to prison.

Better snap out of it folks.

The time is coming to fight, fuck or hit the fence.

If we live in a Police State, we are already in Prison. When we are taken to jail for being accused of ANY crime, we are just being moved to a different jail cell.