PDA

View Full Version : Need some YouTube 'like' love on floor argument against marriage amendment

GunnyFreedom
09-15-2011, 03:19 AM
I need some YouTube 'like' love on this vid from UNC TV on my speech opposing the State Constitutional Amendment to define marriage. I'll just post the URL instead of the embed, because you can't 'like' the vid from here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaJ2iF9oLi0&feature=youtu.be

Note that I went way way over the top religious in the floor arguments in order to head the social-con attacks off at the pass. These orgs are extremely powerful, and the only way I could come safely out the other side of this was to explicitly demonstrate that a proper Christian should oppose this too.

ETA -- ok I'll post the embed too in case you want to see it here first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaJ2iF9oLi0&feature=youtu.be

GunnyFreedom
09-15-2011, 03:56 AM
Post-refresh bumper-cars.

JoshLowry
09-15-2011, 04:00 AM
Thumbed up. Nice speech.

I like how the guy in the blue tie tried really hard to look bored/confused throughout your speech.

GunnyFreedom
09-15-2011, 04:30 AM
Thumbed up. Nice speech.

I like how the guy in the blue tie tried really hard to look bored/confused throughout your speech.

Thanks Josh!

Yeah, my seatmate is a straight-line caucus voter. Whatever the Republican caucus supports, he supports. Whatever they oppose, he opposes. He doesn't ever really think about the bills in front of him, to be honest. I'm always giving him hell about his voting philosophy.

lucky_bg
09-15-2011, 04:49 AM
I gave you my love... :p

GunnyFreedom
09-15-2011, 05:35 AM
I gave you my love... :p
Thankee Sai!

Fortunately there are no more horrifying moments like this one on the horizon, so if I can mitigate this I should be OK. Especially if I can show the voters in a potential Primary that with the ObamaTsunami coming in 2012, Republicans will suffer in the General unless they can get Democratic crossover voters.

Working Poor
09-15-2011, 05:46 AM
My love and like to you Glenn

GunnyFreedom
09-15-2011, 06:12 AM
Thanks!

The unusual approach I took behind this, has only a few on the far-out fringe angry at me, so I don't expect it will harm me very much in the 2012 primary. If I can figure out an effective way to articulate the "crossover voters are needed for Republicans to win in 2012" argument I should have the primary locked up.

olehounddog
09-15-2011, 06:21 AM
Thumbed up. Nice speech.

noticed that right off too.

Way to go Glen. I totally agree.

bunklocoempire
09-15-2011, 06:27 AM
Done! :)

Bunkloco

GunnyFreedom
09-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks y'all so much! The confusion around these parts is palpable. You know if you oppose DOMA you can't be Christian, right? When I sit there and deconstruct the social con family policy groups with Christian theology it just kinda breaks em in the head. It's funny to watch high level church leaders struggle to respond to the explanation of how 501(c)3 is a blasphemy. :D :D :D

bluesc
09-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Liked.

Great speech Glen :)

Vessol
09-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Glen, your speaking skills have only gotten better and better, that was excellent.

I also like how you brought up how marriage licenses were first created to prevent inter-racial marriages.

Edit: Oh, and those guys behind you, boy they don't seem happy to listen to you.

GunnyFreedom
09-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Thank you! I know that the direction I took on floor arguments here is a bit unusual for many Ron Paulers, but I have to deal with the CC and the AFA and others between now and the May primary...so I brought more Christianity to the House Floor than it may have ever heard before. It's a straight theological argument for getting government out of marriage, because I knew I'd have to deal with Christian "Moral Majority" types freaking out because I opposed this thing.

Everything I said was 100% true, and I believe every word of it. I wasn't making stuff up, I just intentionally took a much deeper theological direction in my floor arguments to head of the forthcoming attacks by the moral majority. It will be hard for the Christian Coalition to attack me for being "too strictly Christian" claiming that I "need to compromise with the world" without impeaching their own credibility.

GunnyFreedom
09-15-2011, 10:46 PM
Glen, your speaking skills have only gotten better and better, that was excellent.

I also like how you brought up how marriage licenses were first created to prevent inter-racial marriages.

Edit: Oh, and those guys behind you, boy they don't seem happy to listen to you.

Thanks! oh yeah, the guy on the far left of the video is one of the bill's primary sponsors (all the others in the shot except me are sponsors), the guy in the blue tie is a "toe the party line" guy more than anybody else in the entire chamber, and the guy in back with the pink tie is a "moral majority pastor" type. Everyone you can see in the vid are Republicans. At one point, the other primary sponsor walks through the shot.

It's amazing to me that not one single Republican voted in favor of the amendment to send to the ballot the option to get government out of marriage altogether. Seems they all trust and have faith in government over and above their trust and faith in God... I am pretty sure that's called 'idolatry.'

GunnyFreedom
09-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Liked.

Great speech Glen :)

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Nate-ForLiberty
09-15-2011, 10:50 PM
liked!

sailingaway
09-15-2011, 10:51 PM
liked

BamaFanNKy
09-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Brilliant tactic in your speech. Bravo!

Rael
09-15-2011, 10:52 PM
Did you get any cosponsors on the proposal to privatize marriage?

GunnyFreedom
09-15-2011, 11:11 PM
liked!

liked

Brilliant tactic in your speech. Bravo!

Thanks! I was awful nervous about it, because I didn't want to bring that much religion to the House Floor, but the pressure to bring and pass DOMA came exclusively from the 'Moral majority christian Right' so it was a fight fire with fire thing. It also makes it harder for them to crucify my in the upcoming primary, though I am sure they will find a way. :D

GunnyFreedom
09-15-2011, 11:13 PM
Did you get any cosponsors on the proposal to privatize marriage?

You don't get cosponsors on amendments to bills, but the former House Speaker (Democrat) argued on the floor in favor of it, and nearly the entire Democratic Caucus voted for it. :D :eek: