PDA

View Full Version : We need a slogan for "libertarian compassion"

undergroundrr
09-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Splitting off from a thread about the Chris Mathews "Ron Paul wants to let the 30-year old guy die" feature.

I think the concept that "libertarians aren't compassionate" is going to be the ultimate hurdle in Ron Paul's message reaching the hearts and minds of the American voting majority. People are truly AGHAST when you tell them the disadvantaged don't need safety nets woven out of government force.

There needs to be a succinct slogan about voluntarism being compassionate. It needs t-shirts, bumper stickers, a real motto. It needs to be repeated ad nauseum in society until every American is clear that state funding appropriation (whether for starving children, animals, the environment, rape victims...) violates those it purports to help. And it needs very public good works by voluntarists to back it up.

What would that slogan be?

"Let's Unleash Compassion" almost expresses it for me. One of the most powerful benefits of the reduction in state power that Ron Paul represents is that people would have more control over their own livelihood to further the causes they care deeply about.

RonPaulVolunteer
09-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Empowered Compassion.

heavenlyboy34
09-14-2011, 04:32 PM
greater freedom, greater compassion (?)

pauliticalfan
09-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Freedom: It's Compassionate

or

You Can't Spell Compassion Without Passion (Picture of Ron Paul/Founding Fathers)

Guitarzan
09-14-2011, 04:38 PM
I don't think any label would work, no matter how clever it is.

I try my best to show real world historical instances of how the market provides for the people and how the welfare state is more destructive than helpful.

KramerDSP
09-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Mandatory compassion isn't compassionate.

undergroundrr
09-14-2011, 04:39 PM
It would be great to have something as simple as "Freedom is popular."

pauliticalfan
09-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Liberty: It's as Compassionate as You Want it to Be

mconder
09-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Libertarians: We're so compassionate, will kick you to the curb so you can make something of yourself. Don't thank us. It was all you. Now doesn't that feel nice to be somebody rather than somebody's bitch?

AlexMerced
09-14-2011, 05:05 PM
I have a whole playlist on Libertarian Social Responsibility at AlexMerced.com - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFA82313A513B6B35

I think I've made the case for how most social changes a lot of the left (gender equality) and right (strengthening of the family) like actually are more than likely to happen through libertarian means

acptulsa
09-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Friends don't leave friends at the mercy of the federal government.

Rfalcon51
09-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Libertarianism: Actual Compassionate Conservatism

cucucachu0000
09-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Mandates<Compassion or Mandates (not equal to sign) compassion

heavenlyboy34
09-14-2011, 06:04 PM
btw: slogans should be short and easy to remember. FWIW

Fermli
09-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Inflation is not compassion.

harikaried
09-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Stealing isn't compassionate.

AlexMerced
09-14-2011, 06:12 PM
"Compassion is something you choose to be, not forced to be... Ron Paul 2012"

zHorns
09-14-2011, 06:14 PM
"Empowering Individuals"

AlexMerced
09-14-2011, 06:17 PM
"We're Right... Period, so STFU" is that compassionate enough?

jolynna
09-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Ron Paul said NO.

Local doctors care. Social systems don't.

Keep your local doctor. A social system will drive him away.

Do you want to be a number in a system?

Liberty = being human, not a number.

SYSTEMS DON'T CARE. PEOPLE DO.

Ron Paul did say no, that he wouldn't let the young man die. It was the crowd that said yes. Ron Paul said he had been a doctor for years and years and years and that neither HE nor any other doctor let patients die because they didn't have money.

Amish and Mennonites do NOT participate in employer insurance plans because it is against their religious beliefs. They do not pay into or receive social security either--they CAN and do opt out. Nor are they deadbeats that stiff the hospitals that treat them. As a community they get together, from free choice, and make arrangements to pay off any debts incurred by the illness of one of theirs. I live in a community where most of my neighbors are Amish and have gone to many fish fries or barbeques to help out with someone's illness. Doctors and hospitals in my area do NOT hesitate to treat the Amish.

However, MANY doctors here no longer accept Medicaid patients because of all the red tape, expense and downtime in getting reimbursed from THOSE patient's care. MY doctor and many others plan on RETIRING if Obamacare comes to pass. The U.S. isn't just big cities. A good portion of older people still reside in smaller, scattered communities. Having access to a doctor that isn't far away matters a LOT to the elderly--who more than at any other time in their lives need medical care and treatment.

harikaried
09-14-2011, 06:31 PM
I can't think of the right words but something along the lines of..

Neither gratitude nor empathy exist with forced compassion.

What the receiver and giver usually feel with compassion..

To the receiver: Gratitude, appreciation, thankfulness, gratefulness
To the giver: Empathy, sympathy

speciallyblend
09-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Slogan: Vote

Sola_Fide
09-14-2011, 06:33 PM
"A Can Of Dog Food For Every Granny"

KingNothing
09-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Libertarians: Not the Assholes You Think We Are

harikaried
09-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Medicare is compassion without empathy and gratitude. Ron Paul believes in real compassion.

acptulsa
09-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Libertarians: Not compassionate enough to steal from the poor and give to the rich.

erowe1
09-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Good without government.

KingNothing
09-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Paul always says that we, as individuals in a free do society, have a moral obligation to help those in need.
And I've found that the phrase really lessens the tension when talking to progressives and democrats. It shows them that we have the very same concerns that they've got, and is a wonderful bridge to conversations in which agreement can be found - bashing corporatism and unjust wars.

ronpaulhawaii
09-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Libation? :p

Or maybe,

Freedom empowers human compassion, naturally.

Freedom empowers human compassion.

Freedom empowers compassion.

Freedom!

jolynna
09-14-2011, 06:51 PM
War isn't compassionate.

bunklocoempire
09-14-2011, 07:44 PM
"$100 worth of help freely given by your next door neighbor,

or,

$5.00 worth of help out of $500.00 stolen at gunpoint by D.C. and lobbyists."

EDIT: You decide, or someone else is going to decide for you.

Bunkloco

Sola_Fide
09-14-2011, 08:00 PM
You guys didn't like my "A Can Of Dog Food For Every Granny" slogan???

tremendoustie
09-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Splitting off from a thread about the Chris Mathews "Ron Paul wants to let the 30-year old guy die" feature.

I think the concept that "libertarians aren't compassionate" is going to be the ultimate hurdle in Ron Paul's message reaching the hearts and minds of the American voting majority. People are truly AGHAST when you tell them the disadvantaged don't need safety nets woven out of government force.

There needs to be a succinct slogan about voluntarism being compassionate. It needs t-shirts, bumper stickers, a real motto. It needs to be repeated ad nauseum in society until every American is clear that state funding appropriation (whether for starving children, animals, the environment, rape victims...) violates those it purports to help. And it needs very public good works by voluntarists to back it up.

"Let's Unleash Compassion" almost expresses it for me. One of the most powerful benefits of the reduction in state power that Ron Paul represents is that people would have more control over their own livelihood to further the causes they care deeply about.

I like, "we all need to reach into our own pockets to help those in need -- not try to forcibly take money from our neighbor's pockets"

undergroundrr
09-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Here's a couple more -
"Keep It So You Can Give It"
"Compassion Begins With You, Not With A Government Program"

S.Shorland
09-15-2011, 08:45 AM
'When all's safe at home,good willed money will roam.'

Sounds more folksy and applepie-ish.

S.Shorland
09-15-2011, 08:50 AM
'Keep It So You Can Give It' Top Marks

Here's a couple more -
"Keep It So You Can Give It"
"Compassion Begins With You, Not With A Government Program"

tfurrh
09-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Compassion? Ron Paul's middle name is Earnest.

tfurrh
09-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Damn, am I just a thread killer? Every time I reply to a thread, it dies off. Yesterday I started a new thread....nothing. 1 reply. Hours later, another guy starts the same one, then there's 3 pages of replies. WTF? Do I stink?

Carole
09-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Disagree with "compassion" slogans.

Liberty, freedom, peace, and prosperity are all we need. :D

Valli6
09-15-2011, 10:03 AM
Damn, am I just a thread killer? Every time I reply to a thread, it dies off. Yesterday I started a new thread....nothing. 1 reply. Hours later, another guy starts the same one, then there's 3 pages of replies. WTF? Do I stink?
Hmm, and I felt I was the one largely responsible for thread die-offs! :D

I guess sometimes it just happens that way. Now we can both relax. :o

Original_Intent
09-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Did your dad take the training wheels off because he hated you or because he loved you?

undergroundrr
09-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Love the "training wheels" line.

Steve-in-NY
09-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Legalize Responsibility.

tfurrh
09-15-2011, 08:15 PM
LiberCAREians

jason43
09-15-2011, 08:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/embed/gKhkI1bbsFE

When you ask who will do things, our answer is "We will"

Andrew76
09-15-2011, 09:03 PM
I don't have a slogan, and forgive me for not reading all previous posts, but the Libertarian/Small gov. approach to healthcare, like everything else, is THE philanthropic philosophy to beat all philosophies.
Those of you who have not read Frederic Bastiat's "The Law" are missing out on a fundamental lesson.

Statist/collectivist argument for government run anything "because it's the philanthropic thing to do" are demonstrably false. "The Law" is a revelation in this regard. Statist philanthropy is false philanthropy. The quick answer is, the ends do not justify unjust means. True Philanthropy and "brotherhood" are inseparable from from the word "voluntary." There is literally no way around this. Stealing is either right or wrong. Tax money, stolen for "humanitarian" ends is a contradiction. You took the money by force. You do not believe in people, you believe in controlling people. This is false philanthropy. True philanthropy requires voluntary means. Period.

Ron Paul as a physician never turned anyone away. He would work for less money or he would work for free when needed. He voluntarily donated his time and expertise as a doctor. Real humanitarianism, real philanthropy.
People are playing on the "he'd let him die" episode and twisting the facts. Let everyone know that he never turned anyone away, and voluntarily helped people when it was necessary. This is real helping. Not forced helping.

Eric21ND
09-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Voluntary Charity

When there are world disasters voluntary charity from individuals surpasses governmental aid. Thank me later :p

jason43
09-15-2011, 09:11 PM
There are several schools of thought. I'm pretty sure the Rand types are more every man for himself. I like the idea of local voluntarism and problem solving by groups of individuals. The most effective help is when people that are the most passionate or skilled solve a problem.

I like how they say we lack compassion, but our neighborhoods are not the way they should be. There is no help because the government does everything and you dont need your community anymore.

Lymeade-Lady
09-15-2011, 09:15 PM
The poor: a tax obligation or an opportunity for individual compassionate resourcefulness? Not exactly succinct, but I personally don't like someone giving to me out of obligation near as much as b/c they want to. Institutes don't have compassion. People do. And the people who work at the govt institutes giving to the poor don't show much compassion. But you might actually find someone who cares for you if you go to the local church here or a local charity. People who give you a hand up instead of a hand out.

It would be an awesome documentary to go film/interview people at a government agency vs. some private charity. There are at least 2 great ministries in my town that really love and serve people. They help people get a better life, not just their groceries. I'd LOVE to see some interviews of people who used to be on welfare and got a hand up from one of these type charities and how much difference it made for them.

parocks
09-15-2011, 09:16 PM

I don't want to hear "compassionate" Bush was "Compassionate Conservative".

The things that the Federal Government does now were done by others before the Fed Gov started doing them.

People were not dying in the streets before the Fed Gov came along.

States, Local Governments and Charitable institutions did the job before and can do the job again.

And they're closer to the problem, and are just better at doing the job.

The Federal Government shouldn't be involved.

undergroundrr
09-16-2011, 09:56 AM
I like LiberCAREians a lot.

And LymeAde-Lady, I think your documentary idea would be a great idea for a gifted YouTuber. Demonstrating the superiority of private charity and linking it to Ron Paul would be really positive.

For now, I'm going to stick with "Keep it so you can Give it."

In answer to some of the more skeptical posts above - Yes, I fully understand and agree with the idea that productive activities in a free market contribute to human welfare more effectively than anything else. But for those who think there should be more short-term solutions through direct charitable giving (and I think that's just about everybody), "Keep it so you can Give it" could be effective. Who hasn't felt something like guilt that they couldn't give to a cause that they fully support because personal finances were too tight?

VoluntaryAmerican
09-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Charity not Theft.

Carehn
09-16-2011, 11:22 AM
weapons of mass creation

CTRattlesnake
09-16-2011, 11:59 AM
this

undergroundrr
09-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Weapons of Mass Creation is a powerful phrase. I just about fainted the first time I heard RP say it.