PDA

View Full Version : Help Robert Murphy debate Paul Krugman

matt0611
09-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Hey guys, if you don't already know about Robert Murphy, he's an awesome Austrian Economist that publishes over at Mises.org a lot.

He recently debated Keynsian economist Karl Smith (because they couldn't get Krugman) at a recent online Mises.org debate that can be viewed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPxzE2XM1TY&feature=channel_video_title

Murphy does a great job debating him and Karl Smith even posted on his blog that he thought he kinda lost the debate to Murphy.

Anyway, Robert Murphy has been trying to get Paul Krugman (currently the most prominant Keynsian economist) to debate him but Krugman won't do it (says its a waste of his time).
So to entice him we are trying to raise $100,000 to donate to a food bank in NYC if Krugman will debate Robert Murphy on Austrian Business Cycle theory and Keynsian economics.

Here's Dr. Murphy explaining it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJUHsGHB4VY

You can make your pledge at

http://www.thepoint.com/campaigns/campaign-0-1240

We're already at almost $70,000. So we're getting close!

The cool thing is that it doesn't actually charge your credit card until it happens. So you don't have to worry about diverting money from the moneybombs because this debate will not happen for a while I'm guessing (at least months away).
And if it never happens your credit card will never be charged.
(You can also change your mind at anytime before it happens)

I gave $25 cause for me, to watch Krugman get owned in a debate, it would be so worth it!

Even if you don't want to give anything and you're just interested in economics I highly recommend Robert Murphy's books (especially the one about the great depression and the new deal) or watching any of his youtube videos. The way he explains things is really simple to understand and he's hilarious too :) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w2xXOQY-NY

brushfire
09-14-2011, 01:34 PM
LOL - AWESOME!

Yes, I'm a big fan of Dr Murphy.

mello
09-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Nothing personal but if anybody should debate Krapman, it should be Schiff.

matt0611
09-14-2011, 01:49 PM
Nothing personal but if anybody should debate Krapman, it should be Schiff.

Well, Peter Schiff is awesome, and I'd love to see that too, but Peter is not an "economist" in the traditional sense.
Murphy has a PhD in econ from NYU, so I'd expect Krugman to be much more open to debating with him than he would Peter.

emazur
09-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Well, Peter Schiff is awesome, and I'd love to see that too, but Peter is not an "economist" in the traditional sense.
Murphy has a PhD in econ from NYU, so I'd expect Krugman to be much more open to debating with him than he would Peter.

Also Murphy's original economic education was in the Keynesian school (if I recall), so he knows everything Krugman knows. Plus, he calls himself the anti-Krugman - reads everything Krugman writes and refutes all of it. Krugman wouldn't stand a chance - his only strategy would be to say things like "we didn't do enough". Stimulus failed? We didn't stimulate enough. Housing bubble popped? We didn't raise interest rates enough before things got out of control. But I have no doubt Murphy is ready for that

josh b
09-14-2011, 02:41 PM
I've been waiting to see this for a while. Someone needs to put Krugman in his place.

That third video is both hilarious and terrifying at the same time.

Cutlerzzz
09-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Schiff also debated Smith a few days ago on his radio show. Murphy clearly won his debate with Smith (Smith said as much) while Schiff, IMO, tied with Smith and got no where.

Murphy is possibly the best Austrian Economist today (look at his Mises archives), he has a PhD, and as already mentioned he is extremely well versed in Keynesian Economics (Murphy is well versed versed in just about all schools of thought, seriously, look at his Mises.org archives).

I know that we see and hear from Schiff every day, but Murphy is the best man for the job.

freshjiva
09-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Just pledged $150. This would be an epic debate to witness.

green73
09-14-2011, 03:35 PM
rep +

matt0611
09-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Just pledged $150. This would be an epic debate to witness.

Wow, thank you! That's awesome.

+rep to you.

BuddyRey
09-14-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm strapped for cash right now, but I definitely endorse this project.

TexanRudeBoy
09-14-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm strapped for cash right now, but I definitely endorse this project.

You don't pay now. You pledge to pay a certain amount but its not charged to you until the total is reached.

ClayTrainor
09-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Pledged $50 months ago.

TheDrakeMan
01-02-2012, 04:17 PM
So what ever happened to this?

StilesBC
01-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Krugman refuses. Says 'that debate happened in the 30's and Keynes won. Time to move on,' etc.

Liberty_Mike
01-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Krugman refuses. Says 'that debate happened in the 30's and Keynes won. Time to move on,' etc.

What a wimp Krugman is. I guess he can't do anything unless he is hiding behind the New York Times.