PDA

View Full Version : A Marketing Man's take on Ron Paul's Foreign Policy Messaging

DerekB
09-14-2011, 07:07 AM
Ron Paul's response at the last debate:

PAUL: As long as this country follows that idea, we're going to be under a lot of danger. This whole idea that the whole Muslim world is responsible for this, and they're attacking us because we're free and prosperous, that is just not true.

Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda have been explicit -- they have been explicit, and they wrote and said that we attacked America because you had bases on our holy land in Saudi Arabia, you do not give Palestinians fair treatment, and you have been bombing --

(BOOING)

PAUL: I didn't say that. I'm trying to get you to understand what the motive was behind the bombing, at the same time we had been bombing and killing hundreds of thousands of Iraqis for 10 years.

No, no, no, no!

I'm sorry to say, but to the neo-con audience... the ones we need to come around and support Dr. Paul, Ron sounds like a lunatic here. People who were starting to consider him before this week's debate are now roundly dismissing him. The sad thing is that this is completely unavoidable, if Ron's advisers would wake up and actually consider their AUDIENCE, this could have been solved long ago. It needs to be solved immediately to help ensure Ron stays in the debates and hopefully makes it to the Oval Office.

Don't Quote Osama
Don't say 'empire', 'invasion', or 'occupying'. EVER.
Use Analogies

Above are my short-term solutions, the first two are common sense. The third item, use analogies, is seriously where I think Ron Paul needs to go next. He needs to start putting his views into terms neo-con voters can understand. How about this one:

"Mr. Santorum, tell me, if you were walking through a bad part of Pittsburg in your home state, and ended up getting stabbed and robbed, no one would ever say that was your fault. The media wouldn't say it, your family wouldn't say it, and I wouldn't say it. That would be illogical. However, one thing I might suggest to you once you healed a bit is to stop going for walks in the bad part of town. I might suggest you stick to the park or the downtown area next time. Seems like common sense, right? It's just like 9/11 - I never even remotely said 9/11 was our fault or that America was to blame, although you and the soundbite media might like to make it sound like I did. What I said (and what the CIA tells us) is that maybe as a country we're walking through the wrong side of town... that building hundreds of bases on middle eastern holy ground and all around the world is unnecessary provocation causing unnecessary danger and risk. So why Mr. Santorum, as I stand here and suggest that you are a bit smarter about where you go for walks, are you refusing to heed my wise advise?"

Or maybe one that uses current events?

"Mr. Santorum, after the Seals successfully took down Osama Bin Laden, we buried him at sea under full muslim religious practices. Why did we do that? He certainly didn't deserve it. The answer our armed forces would give is that anything else would be an unnecessary provocation. They're right, and I'm sure you'd agree... what was important was that we exacted justice - not that we spit in the eye of our attacker, provoking future attacks. So I ask you, Mr. Santorum, if you support these types of decisions to reduce unnecessary provocation, why do you continue to support the construction and maintenance of hundreds of military bases across the mid east and the world even though the CIA tells us that this is the single most important reason the terrorists put us at the top of their target list? Why not instead understake a real DEFENSE policy - a policy of no nation building - a policy our founders would support? Did our founders have it wrong Mr. Santorum?"

Here's one Ron Paul fans can use with their skeptical friends:

Imagine a large ant hill full of fire ants. (muslim world)
Imagine a newly-wed out for a picnic 20 feet or so away. (America)
Nothing happens, the couple isn’t bothered and the fire ants go about their business.
Eventually, a couple of fire ants, find the picnic blanket and proceed to biting the couple. (very small and select number of insane muslim terrorists)
The common sense it to smash and kill the ants who attacked and continue on with your lovely picnic – but instead, the man (GOP) stands up, searches everywhere for the ant hill and stands on it proudly (190 military bases around the world, overthrowing democratically elected leaders, minor interventions, major wars, etc.).
He doesn’t go back to the picnic though after stomping the hill. He stays, he says, in order to protect his loved one from the ants in the future.
Very soon though there aren’t just a few crazy ants who are attacking them – when faced with an invader making base in their area, the crazy ants quickly convince the larger colony what the danger is too great to ignore. There are some ants that always stay inside (moderate and anti-confrontation muslims) but now many have been convinced/radicalized to take up arms against the man.
Whereas there were only a couple of attacking ants at first, there are now thousands. Thousands of aggressive ants made extreme by the unassuming actions of the man.
Wave after wave of the ants sting and bite the man. Just then, his lovely bride (Ron Paul) says, “Stop stomping on their ant hill! Come back here or you’ll be bitten to death!”
The man (GOP) responds, “What are you saying?!?! That his is my fault? They stung us first, we’re innocent! How dare you take sides with the ants.”
“You are an idiot.” The woman responds “I love you - but you really aren’t making the situation any better. Why not just get rid of the bad ants that actually attacked us and stop fanning the flames with the entire colony! I know you’re trying to save me, I know you have the best of intentions, but seriously… stop!”
“What an irresponsible thing to say. I can’t believe you side with the ants over me.” Said the man.
“Jesus… this is hopeless.” Said the woman

DerekB
09-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Admin, please delete this thread - it was placed in the wrong forum.