PDA

View Full Version : Share your "I converted a Democrat" stories here

Bruno
09-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Last election, my wife's parents supported Obama, despite my best efforts to swing them over to Ron Paul. They even had a huge Obama sign at the entrance to their farm near Sioux City. They thought he would end the wars, a key issue for them.

We know what happened in the next few years under Obama's presidency. They have watched it all, become disgusted with him, and listened to and talked with me and my wife for the past few years. They have been outraged at how Ron has been treated after the straw poll and during the debates. "This guy makes more sense than all those idiots up on stage, you can see right through them!".

Next Tuesday, they will be seeing him speak in person for the first time in Sioux City, along with their son. Afterwards, they will be picking up a Ron Paul sign from the regional director for the campaign I put them in touch with, to put at the end of the lane where the Obama sign once was. :)

Please share your stories, I know there are many out there! Ron has deep support over a wide range of the political spectrum, and we will need all the votes we can get!

hwm
09-13-2011, 09:22 PM
I don't have a great story to go with it, but over the last year I have slowly converted my girlfriend from a registered Democrat to a libertarian Ron Paul supporter. The key was to plant small seeds, and a pro-liberty ideology carries the intrinsic advantage of stepping outside of partisan hackery. Like you would expect from a Democrat in transition, the foreign policy came easy and the domestic stuff took longer. This is the opposite of my father, who I have been able to help convert from a neocon (who thought he was libertarian) to a liberty-minded outlook.

Napoleon's Shadow
09-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Cool. As long as they actually do go out and vote because statistically speaking they usually don't.

No disrespect Bruno, but we need to see more "I got a Republican to commit to vote for RP" stories.

Good work though.

Bruno
09-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Cool. As long as they actually do go out and vote because statistically speaking they usually don't.

No disrespect Bruno, but we need to see more "I got a Republican to commit to vote for RP" stories.

Good work though.

Mine will. And just over 150 of them would have won the Straw poll for us. Since we had that many out there that were Republican Ron Paul supporters and didn't show, that would have helped.

Statistically speaking, Obama should have never won the election. Many of his voters cast their ballots for the first time ever, and he would have never won by that narrow margin in Iowa without every vote he could get.

If every Ron Paul supporter got one Democrat or independent to vote for him, that doubles our numbers and suddenly things are turned in our favor. There are still too many Republicans who like him, "but he can't get elected, I'm going for the safer bet of Romeny, Perry, (insert empty suit here)."

I'm not saying we should all run around knocking on Democratic doors, but we all have friends on the other side of the aisle. Don't waste the opportunity, that is all. There are far more simliarities than they know, and the duty is ours to educate them as fellow Americans.

I don't have a great story to go with it, but over the last year I have slowly converted my girlfriend from a registered Democrat to a libertarian Ron Paul supporter. The key was to plant small seeds, and a pro-liberty ideology carries the intrinsic advantage of stepping outside of partisan hackery. Like you would expect from a Democrat in transition, the foreign policy came easy and the domestic stuff took longer. This is the opposite of my father, who I have been able to help convert from a neocon (who thought he was libertarian) to a liberty-minded outlook.

+ rep and welcome!

Mises_to_Paul
09-13-2011, 10:25 PM
It's always a great thing to bring any individual person on board. Nice job.

I've been working on converting people who are in the camp of "I love what Ron Paul says on 80 percent of the issues, but the other 20 percent are too extreme", and trying to break the idea that a solution outside the status quo does not equal a bad solution, which I think a lot of people have been conditioned to believe.

I had a nice discussion today with a fence-sitter (as best as I could tell) about the Austrian explanation for the Great Depression, and making the relevant analogies to today.

I won't deny though...there are a lot of mental blocks to get through after years of statist propoganda. But we can do it.

acptulsa
09-13-2011, 10:30 PM
My mother was a registered Democrat for fifty-nine years, including forty-one married to a registered Republican.

She told me she's registering as a Republican just for this primary.

Cap'n Crunk
09-13-2011, 10:34 PM
My mom has also been disgusted with the treatment Ron Paul has been receiving from the media. I went home to visit last week and she had a pen and paper and was marking down every time a candidate was addressed during the debate. She is an anti-war progressive who voted for Obama in the 2008 primary and Ralph Nader in the general election. She will be voting for Ron Paul in the upcoming primary. Everyone else I have turned was either a Republican or someone who has never voted.

Bruno
09-16-2011, 06:15 AM
Bump for Barry

libertarian4321
09-16-2011, 06:24 AM
I finally got my Mom to get on board after being a Dem for about 70 years (give or take). She's not a fan of the wars, and Obama's failure to end them (as well as getting involved in Libya) I think were the issues that finally got her to change her mind.

I don't think she'll be out at the sign waves, or participating in money bombs, or anything, but she will vote for him.

raider4paul
09-16-2011, 07:02 AM
I was young and stupid.

Fin.

Bruno
09-16-2011, 07:20 AM
I was young and stupid.

Fin.

Ditto

LawnWake
09-16-2011, 07:42 AM
Everyone make sure to go vote at the primaries in a group. Decide to meet up there and do it together, to make sure everyone's actually going.

Also, I'm an international user, but I did convert a friend of mine from New York to Ron Paul and he's registering Republican and I'm hoping he'll convert his parents.

faithfulfriend
09-16-2011, 07:58 AM
My family consists of mostly neo-conservatives. Gave my older sister Dr. Paul's book "Revolution: A Manifesto".....

That's all it took. She wrote him in at 2008. The rest of my family? They're coming around.

Converted my wife with a 2 hour conversation about war and the Constitution. She was a huge Palin fan before hand.

I've converted several friends as well. One the other night was telling me that there was a good article on Ron Paul on aol.com two days ago. She just turned 18 and will be able to vote for the first time, she's Dr. Paul all the way.

All it takes is a little common sense approach to people of alternative views. I've had several friends tell me I'm very convincing and that my arguments make a lot of sense.

Bruno
09-16-2011, 08:05 AM
+ reps to all above!

jmdrake
09-16-2011, 08:07 AM
My mom supported Obama last go round with reservations. We've had lots of discussions since then. She's definitely unhappy about the continued wars, that he helps the banks but not the people, and she warned me about the coming of socialized medicine back in the 1970s. The last time we talked politics I said "Mom. You've just got to vote for Ron Paul. This country is going to hell in a handbasket". She was like "Son. I think you're right. I might just do that."