PDA

View Full Version : Saudi: US Veto for Palestinian State Will Cost Alliance

Agorism
09-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Saudi: US Veto for Palestinian State Will Cost Alliance

http://news.antiwar.com/2011/09/12/saudi-official-us-veto-for-palestinian-state-will-cost-saudi-alliance

http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2008/0801/bush_mideast_0116.jpg

The United States would lose Saudi Arabia as an ally if it blocks the Palestinian bid for statehood at the United Nations this month, according to a New York Times piece written by a senior Saudi official.

“Saudi Arabia would no longer be able to cooperate with America in the same way it historically has,” Prince Turki al-Faisal, the former Saudi intelligence chief, wrote in an opinion piece that was officially sanctioned by the monarchy. “Saudi leaders would be forced by domestic and regional pressures to adopt a far more independent and assertive foreign policy.”

The Obama administration has been firm in denouncing Palestinian attempts to generate support for its bid for statehood and has promised to veto the resolution at the Security Council this month.

If the US follows through on that promise, wrote al-Faisal, “Saudi Arabia would pursue other policies at odds with those of the United States, including opposing the government of Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki in Iraq and refusing to open an embassy there despite American pressure to do so. The Saudi government might part ways with Washington in Afghanistan and Yemen as well.”

Prince Turki al-Faisal stressed that the starting point for peace must be a two-state solution based on the pre-1967 borders, something the US and Israel have slighted for decades, and still in the Obama administration.

MJU1983
09-13-2011, 06:34 PM
That's kind of a lose lose but I'd say us breaking ties with Saudi Arabia would be the best thing to happen to the United States and the World in a LONG time.

Cowlesy
09-13-2011, 06:36 PM
No it won't lollololol. The Saudi Royal Family would be drawn and quartered by its own people if it weren't for us protecting them.

dannno
09-13-2011, 06:42 PM
That's kind of a lose lose but I'd say us breaking ties with Saudi Arabia would be the best thing to happen to the United States and the World in a LONG time.

Ya I don't want to be enemies with Saudi Arabia, but I also don't want our country to be encouraged to build huge embassies and control other governments and have help fighting more wars, all things they said they would stop doing.

dannno
09-13-2011, 06:43 PM
No it won't lollololol. The Saudi Royal Family would be drawn and quartered by its own people if it weren't for us protecting them.

Huh, good point.

-C-
09-13-2011, 07:54 PM

You mean if the Brits stop protecting them.

-C-
09-13-2011, 07:55 PM
Ya I don't want to be enemies with Saudi Arabia, but I also don't want our country to be encouraged to build huge embassies and control other governments and have help fighting more wars, all things they said they would stop doing.

We're already enemies with Saudi Arabia. They helped orchestrate this thing called 9/11. Heard of it?

Agorism
09-13-2011, 07:56 PM
We're already enemies with Saudi Arabia. They helped orchestrate this thing called 9/11. Heard of it?

A lot of it was planned in Germany.

Dr.3D
09-13-2011, 07:59 PM
A lot of it was planned in Germany.

Oh crap! Are those Germans at it again?

:eek:

moderate libertarian
09-13-2011, 09:04 PM
US support of occupation of Palestinians has probably cost US economy upwards of $10 trillion inluding costs of 9/11, Iraq and other costs. Opposing their liberty and independence would be a dumb move for us but probably would speed up one state solution that might be better in the long run.

musicmax
09-13-2011, 09:43 PM
The Saudi Royal Family would be drawn and quartered by its own people if it weren't for us protecting them.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Cowlesy
09-13-2011, 09:47 PM
And maybe I am wrong, but this isn't a Security Council vote, so I don't think the U.S. has a veto in the General Assembly where this vote is taking place, right?

Keith and stuff
09-13-2011, 09:50 PM
What, I thought Clinton supported Palestinian Statehood. Obama doesn't? Wow, he is worse than a lot of the GOP on foreign policy.

cucucachu0000
09-13-2011, 09:51 PM
it looks like were gonna kicked out of the middle east anyway even after all this bickering.

Agorism
09-14-2011, 04:29 AM
And maybe I am wrong, but this isn't a Security Council vote, so I don't think the U.S. has a veto in the General Assembly where this vote is taking place, right?

From what I heard both will vote. Even if the Security Council veto's it, the general assembly can still vote on it.