PDA

View Full Version : Tonight I drew down on a group of guys beating a security guard...

Reason
09-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Tonight after work I picked up my g/f & we headed over the local mall to watch a movie (contagion).

We pulled into the parking lot & I came around a corner & parked.

As I climbed out of my Jeep & turned around I saw a group of guys beating a guy that was laying on the pavement.

Something clicked... next thing I know I am screaming louder than I ever knew I could "BACK THE **** UP!" over & over as I am running towards the group holding my m26c with both hands, safety off, laser directly in the faces of the attackers...

There were 3 guys that I personally saw actively involved in punching/kicking the guy as I ran forward, & a group of their friends, another 6 or so that were within 15 feet of the beating.

The guy on the ground was a security guard wearing a white uniform & there was another security guard that was in the fray attempting to protect his buddy without much luck. There were also a few bystanders that were trying to stop the attack but with mostly non physical efforts.

The guard on the ground was bloodied up but not seriously injured that I could tell.

As the group backed up another security guard showed up (all completely without any self defense tools whatsoever) & at this point I am on the line with ECPD dispatch.

Apparently my g/f who had been getting out of the Jeep at the same time had been on the line with 911 the second she saw my m26c out of the holster & me running.

The group of attackers seemed to have come in mostly two different vehicles, one white car & one dark truck.

The main attackers jumped into the white car that was essentially right next to where the attack had been taking place & left, at this point I was on the line with dispatch giving them plate numbers & descriptions.

The white car leaves & half of the group remaining is circling back over to their truck getting ready to leave.

I had yelled to my g/f to grab my flipcam from the Jeep & this is right around when the recording starts.

The guys circling back to the truck are leaving & a guard goes to get their plate number & you can see one of the guys stand in front to block the plate.

Shortly after the truck starts exiting the parking lot the first cop shows up & we tell him to get the truck, he takes off after the truck.

The injured guard is very shaken & is trying to tell everyone what had happened.

To sum it up it sounds like the group of guys had been causing problems in the mall for several hours & having problems with the security staff. The security staff either kicked them out or followed them out, at one point the injured guard states that he was trying to get their plate number & that was when the attack began.

The cops were pretty cool with everyone and myself. No doubt it helped that the guard kept repeating to them that "the guy with the gun saved my life, the guy with the gun saved me!, thank you so much!"

The cops had several people fill out written statements, they gave me no problems whatsoever about my openly carried taser which was back in the holster before they showed up. While I was speaking with dispatch I requested that they notify the responding units that I was there with a taser openly visible in a holster that appears like a firearm.

One of the cops asked if I always carried it & I told him I had started about 6 months or so ago because I had wanted to get a ccw & you can't get one in San Diego, so I looked into open carrying & realized I spend all day within one school zone or another, so I ended up with this... He actually said that with the way the open carry law is that taser might even be better in some aspects since there is no downtime of loading a magazine, even though that wouldn't have been an issue in this case.

The adrenaline took over an hour to wear off, I am just happy they backed off & no one charged me requiring a trigger pull... No doubt a lawsuit would come from some dirtbags parents after their A+ student lost half their front teeth from facepalming into the pavement as the taser was deployed...

It's very weird as I think about what happened, I know there is no way I could point out the main attackers faces if I had to, the guys are just a complete blur in my mind, more than anything I really wish I had had a camera attachment on the m26c, I will be looking into that tomorrow...

craziness,

& we missed our movie... http://cdn.calguns.net/calguns.net/calgunforum/images/smilies/mad.gif

(I have deleted the image of the contact info paper from the PD as per advice from several PM's)

Wesker1982
09-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Awesome job! +rep

Kotin
09-13-2011, 11:20 AM
dude you are fucking awesome.. thank you for being what a citizen should be.

you own. this is something I myself would hope I would do and anyone else for that matter.

Working Poor
09-13-2011, 11:21 AM
damm

Nate-ForLiberty
09-13-2011, 11:25 AM
yes!

*fist pump!*

pcosmar
09-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Good on ya.

This is how it should be.
And in time the need for such would be less.

fade
09-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Great job. I hope those kids get the lesson they deserve.

amonasro
09-13-2011, 11:37 AM
You probably saved that guy's life. All in a day's work, right?

Dr.3D
09-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Last time I did something like that, the police tried to get me for brandishing.

Reason
09-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Last time I did something like that, the police tried to get me for brandishing.

Yeah, I am not sure how this would have played out if I had been holding a glock instead of an m26c...

No doubt the dispersion of the thugs would have been the similar but I don't know how the cops would have handled it.

Nate-ForLiberty
09-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Why did you call the cops anyway?

Reason
09-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Why did you call the cops anyway?

There were a lot of people that had called/were calling by the time I called, this crime definitely had a victim & I wanted to make sure that dispatch told the responding officers that I had a taser on my hip that can be easily confused for a firearm, especially in the dark.

lucky_bg
09-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Huge +rep. If they take pic of you for local newspaper, make sure to wear ron Paul shirt. :D

Invi
09-13-2011, 11:53 AM
I have no words. You're awesome. Nice job.

PastaRocket848
09-13-2011, 11:58 AM
that's how you do it. leading by example. kudos, sir.

Shane Harris
09-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Bamf

Bern
09-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Between this and your recent electricity blackout experience, I'd say you sir, kick ass at being prepared.

Dr.3D
09-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Yeah, I am not sure how this would have played out if I had been holding a glock instead of an m26c...

No doubt the dispersion of the thugs would have been the similar but I don't know how the cops would have handled it.

Well, where I live, the m26c would have been illegal to carry. I can legally carry a pistol though.

Bruno
09-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Huge +rep. If they take pic of you for local newspaper, make sure to wear ron Paul shirt. :D

what he said, + rep from me, too

Way to go, Reason! Glad you are safe, and helped save someone else's hide!

AFPVet
09-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Great job man! You halted the attack, gave a description of the subjects/vehicles... perfect! You would make a great peace officer!

CaptainAmerica
09-13-2011, 12:18 PM
this is why it is important for good citizens to be armed whether they like to be or not.

Napoleon's Shadow
09-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Were the aggressors taken into custody?

sailingaway
09-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Good job! Living in California and seething over how less safe it is than places where you are allowed to protect yourself.

AFPVet
09-13-2011, 12:25 PM
this is why it is important for good citizens to be armed whether they like to be or not.

I agree... armed citizens (especially if openly carrying) make the best homeland security force!

Danke
09-13-2011, 12:28 PM
He actually said that with the way the open carry law is that taser might even be better in some aspects since there is no downtime of loading a magazine, even though that wouldn't have been an issue in this case.

I'm not sure why. Can't you carry the magazines with you? I can load a magazine and charge the gun ~2 seconds.

Taser gives you one shot. Even if you get one, there was a group. Glad they backed off. I wonder if you were the only one to know it was just a Taser.

AFPVet
09-13-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure why. Can't you carry the magazines with you? I can load a magazine and charge the gun ~2 seconds.

Taser gives you one shot. Even if you get one, there was a group. Glad they backed off. I wonder if you were the only one to know it was just a Taser.

I agree... I initially thought that the OP had a firearm. You wouldn't see me with a taser, but it would most likely be a Sig Sauer P220.

IndianaPolitico
09-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Wow! Great job! +rep.

Sad to see how restrictive the gun laws are out there. In my state, pretty much anything goes.

LibertyEagle
09-13-2011, 12:49 PM
:)

CaptainAmerica
09-13-2011, 12:50 PM
http://www.film.com/wp-content/uploads/2005/03/21375941-21375943-large.jpg
a reenactment of what happened .

heavenlyboy34
09-13-2011, 12:57 PM
+rep to the OP. You deserve some sort of medal of honor-whatever they give civilians for this kind of heroism. :cool:

Pericles
09-13-2011, 02:17 PM
dude you are fucking awesome.. thank you for being what a citizen should be.

you own. this is something I myself would hope I would do and anyone else for that matter.

That ^^^^^

123tim
09-13-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm proud of you.

No offense, but I'm glad that you missed the movie too. We need more people like you and less movies like that.

Just think - You probably treated some other moviegoers to some real-life "reality" programming.

In liberty,
Tim

hazek
09-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Wow awesome job!

Will you post what video footage you got online?

Kylie
09-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Good job, Reason!

Glad that it all ended the way it did and you didn't have to use your weapon.

ClayTrainor
09-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Awesome story, awesome job.

Thanks for being such a good person!

AFPVet
09-13-2011, 03:34 PM

We have "pointing a firearm" in my state instead of brandishing; however, in this context, the OP was well within his right to draw down on the group due to the "disparity of force".

Pericles
09-13-2011, 03:36 PM

a. k. a. a militia

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-13-2011, 03:50 PM

All I'm gonna say is that you're lucky that turned out well for you. Ain't no way I'd pull out a taser on that many hostile people. I guess only you know what the situation looked like. Where I live, I'd assume that's gonna turn into a gunfight of some kind, and respond as needed.

devil21
09-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Nice work!

Sucks that you can't even carry a gun in your area. The taser is ok but obviously has a lot of weaknesses if you are forced to use it.

awake
09-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Where I live If I did what you did I would be stomped by the police and the thugs. Good job, you did a police service much more valuable than the professionals. If only others realized that more guns mean less crime.

Cowlesy
09-13-2011, 05:13 PM
That right there is some Hero Living.

+Rep

Rothbardian Girl
09-13-2011, 05:40 PM
This story is worthy of a thousand +reps. Great job.

jmdrake
09-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Tonight after work I picked up my g/f & we headed over the local mall to watch a movie (contagion).

As I climbed out of my Jeep & turned around I saw a group of guys beating a guy that was laying on the pavement.

Something clicked... next thing I know I am screaming louder than I ever knew I could "BACK THE **** UP!" over & over as I am running towards the group holding my m26c with both hands, safety off, laser directly in the faces of the attackers...

& we missed our movie... http://cdn.calguns.net/calguns.net/calgunforum/images/smilies/mad.gif

Missed the movie? It sounds like you were the movie.

Rael
09-13-2011, 05:59 PM
+rep

Bryan
09-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Respect.

LibForestPaul
09-13-2011, 06:37 PM
I would not have gotten involved.
Without a gun (which is a given in this state) I will not put myself or my family into risk, even with a taser.

Should I ever be able to legally carry (open or concealed) it is still doubtful I would get involved. The laws of most states are simple against sheep wearing teeth and protecting their own.

Why do I post this here, because this makes me feel sad, that this county has come to such a place. That any persons naturally instinct, wanting to protect the weak from violence and aggression, is actively suppressed through media, laws, and social norms (try to open carry where legal).

anaconda
09-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Accolades!

Question: So it was a taser not a firearm? Don't you have to get dangerously close to someone for that to work? Did the thugs think it was a regular firearm?

bkreigh
09-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Screw missing your movie man. You just made your own!

Nice job bud!

ihsv
09-13-2011, 07:38 PM
http://bonaventuredesign.com/rpf/reason-award.png

Eric21ND
09-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Between this and your recent electricity blackout experience, I'd say you sir, kick ass at being prepared.
What happened with the blackout?

Eric21ND
09-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Great job! You're a bonafide hero in many respects. Tell us more about your taser, post pics perhaps?

Libertea Party
09-13-2011, 08:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXbj6_cwhC4

Sentient Void
09-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Fucking awesome dude. +REP.

Reason
09-13-2011, 11:25 PM
Great job man! You halted the attack, gave a description of the subjects/vehicles... perfect! You would make a great peace officer!

I used to want to go into law enforcement, back before I had a political education, now that I know what a victimless crime is... I would have to find a dept. that would be okay with me not enforcing victimless crime laws...

Were the aggressors taken into custody?

I don't think they were able to stop the white car that had the main aggressors in it, we did give them the plate info, no idea if that panned out at all.

Wow awesome job!

Will you post what video footage you got online?

Probably not, it shows a lot of faces.

Good job, Reason!

Glad that it all ended the way it did and you didn't have to use your weapon.

Me too!

Accolades!

Question: So it was a taser not a firearm? Don't you have to get dangerously close to someone for that to work? Did the thugs think it was a regular firearm?

Yes, it's the m26c taser, it has a 15 foot range on the projectile deployment, it can also be used as a physical contact stun gun after deploying the cartridge. I don't know what they thought, I do know that they backed the f**k off lol It was dark, I never stated what it was, all I ever said was "BACK THE F**K UP" extremely loudly with some serious command presence that I didn't even know I had...

Great job! You're a bonafide hero in many respects. Tell us more about your taser, post pics perhaps?

Here is a link (http://www.taser.com/products/self-defense-products/taser-m26c)

Some pics,

http://www.stun-gun-defense-products.com/buy-stun-gun/images/P/44855-01.jpg

http://www.taser.com/images/products/self-defense-products/m26c/images/taser-m26c_3.png

Aratus
09-13-2011, 11:34 PM

There were 3 guys that I personally saw actively involved in punching/kicking the guy as I ran forward, & a group of their friends, another 6 or so that were within 15 feet of the beating.

The guy on the ground was a security guard wearing a white uniform & there was another security guard that was in the fray attempting to protect his buddy without much luck. There were also a few bystanders that were trying to stop the attack but with mostly non physical efforts.

The guard on the ground was bloodied up but not seriously injured that I could tell.

As the group backed up another security guard showed up (all completely without any self defense tools whatsoever) & at this point I am on the line with ECPD dispatch.

Apparently my g/f who had been getting out of the Jeep at the same time had been on the line with 911 the second she saw my m26c out of the holster & me running.

The group of attackers seemed to have come in mostly two different vehicles, one white car & one dark truck.

The main attackers jumped into the white car that was essentially right next to where the attack had been taking place & left, at this point I was on the line with dispatch giving them plate numbers & descriptions.

The white car leaves & half of the group remaining is circling back over to their truck getting ready to leave.

I had yelled to my g/f to grab my flipcam from the Jeep & this is right around when the recording starts.

The guys circling back to the truck are leaving & a guard goes to get their plate number & you can see one of the guys stand in front to block the plate.

Shortly after the truck starts exiting the parking lot the first cop shows up & we tell him to get the truck, he takes off after the truck.

The injured guard is very shaken & is trying to tell everyone what had happened.

To sum it up it sounds like the group of guys had been causing problems in the mall for several hours & having problems with the security staff. The security staff either kicked them out or followed them out, at one point the injured guard states that he was trying to get their plate number & that was when the attack began.

The cops were pretty cool with everyone and myself. No doubt it helped that the guard kept repeating to them that "the guy with the gun saved my life, the guy with the gun saved me!, thank you so much!"

The cops had several people fill out written statements, they gave me no problems whatsoever about my openly carried taser which was back in the holster before they showed up. While I was speaking with dispatch I requested that they notify the responding units that I was there with a taser openly visible in a holster that appears like a firearm.

One of the cops asked if I always carried it & I told him I had started about 6 months or so ago because I had wanted to get a ccw & you can't get one in San Diego, so I looked into open carrying & realized I spend all day within one school zone or another, so I ended up with this... He actually said that with the way the open carry law is that taser might even be better in some aspects since there is no downtime of loading a magazine, even though that wouldn't have been an issue in this case.

The adrenaline took over an hour to wear off, I am just happy they backed off & no one charged me requiring a trigger pull... No doubt a lawsuit would come from some dirtbags parents after their A+ student lost half their front teeth from facepalming into the pavement as the taser was deployed...

It's very weird as I think about what happened, I know there is no way I could point out the main attackers faces if I had to, the guys are just a complete blur in my mind, more than anything I really wish I had had a camera attachment on the m26c, I will be looking into that tomorrow...

craziness,

(I have deleted the image of the contact info paper from the PD as per advice from several PM's)

true grit is true grit

hazek
09-14-2011, 05:59 AM
Probably not, it shows a lot of faces.

Blur them out! ;)

jt8025
09-14-2011, 06:48 AM
toob or it didn't happen.

j/k

LibertasPraesidium
09-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Great job. This is why 2nd amendment rights are so important. If the security guard would have been armed they would have shown him more respect. The problem a great many have with armed civilians is the number of crimes they think would be committed because of the potentially armed society. The problem is that if you are threatened with a weapon and someone pulls out something bigger it gets rough. Thanks for doing your part.