PDA

View Full Version : I loved Ron's reply to what he'd bring to the White House...

wgadget
09-13-2011, 07:41 AM
a bucket of common sense and an Austrian economics primer for ignorant Americans. :D

KingNothing
09-13-2011, 08:08 AM
It's why he's a Serious candidate, and the rest are just children.

king_nothing_
09-13-2011, 08:11 AM
Your name is way too close to mine! :O

jmdrake
09-13-2011, 08:20 AM
I hate to say it, but Bachmann's was better. Most people don't have a clue what the hell Austrian economics is. Instead Bachmann gave a simple "bill of rights and constitution" answer. (And she was channeling her inner Ron Paul when she said that.) If your answer in a TV debate requires someone to do research just to have a clue of what you're talking about, re-think your answer.

Matthew5
09-13-2011, 08:27 AM
I hate to say it, but Bachmann's was better. Most people don't have a clue what the hell Austrian economics is. Instead Bachmann gave a simple "bill of rights and constitution" answer. (And she was channeling her inner Ron Paul when she said that.) If your answer in a TV debate requires someone to do research just to have a clue of what you're talking about, re-think your answer.

Sorry, but with google on your phone, the wiki page for Austrian Economics is 0.3 seconds away. I think we need to give people alittle more credit for their willingness to do research nowadays.

KingNothing
09-13-2011, 08:28 AM
Your name is way too close to mine! :O

Woah!

Nice!

KingNothing
09-13-2011, 08:29 AM

Bachmann's answer was ridiculous pandering, and people realized that. And, btw, does she really believe that those things aren't already in the White House?

Matthew5
09-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Bachmann's answer was ridiculous pandering, and people realized that. And, btw, does she really believe that those things aren't already in the White House?

Exactly...they were given the commercial break to think of their answers and that's the best she could come up with? Of course, it was a home crowd for her.

ctiger2
09-13-2011, 08:45 AM

Heck ya it was. Michelle will say anything to get elected. Last night was just another example.

jmdrake
09-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Sorry, but with google on your phone, the wiki page for Austrian Economics is 0.3 seconds away. I think we need to give people alittle more credit for their willingness to do research nowadays.

Forgive me for being an activist in 2007/2008 who was really sold on the idea that waving signs around that say "Google Ron Paul" was an effective campaign strategy. And just because someone "Googles" Austrian economics and reads a Wiki page doesn't automagically mean they're going to understand and/or agree with it. Looking at Google Trends for Austrian Economics over the past 30 days.....not enough data to show a trend. Sorry but I don't that Google on smart phones made a difference in this case.

jmdrake
09-13-2011, 09:39 AM

It's pandering when Bachmann says it because she doesn't believe it (i.e. the Patriot Act). It's also pandering when Rick Perry talks about the Fed and "sound monetary policy" because he doesn't believe that. It's pandering when Mitt Romney talks about small government and individual liberty because he doesn't believe that. It is not pandering when Ron Paul talks about the constitution and bill of rights, the fed, sound money (not "monetary policy"), small government and individual liberty because he does believe that. And right now everybody is at least familiar with all of those terms. So what does Ron do? He talks about Austrian economics? And we hope people will "Google" that as opposed to remembering an obvious sound bite? That wasn't a "Google" moment, it was a "sound bite" moment. Bachmann got off the best sound bite. I'm not mad at her. I'm not mad at Perry for stealing Paul's lines on the fed. (I'm mad at Wolf Blitzer for not asking Ron the fed question, but that's another story).

Romulus
09-13-2011, 10:52 AM
I bet Michelle was really hoping that Ron wouldn't say those items.... because if he did, she would've had to come up with something else...

Matthew5
09-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Forgive me for being an activist in 2007/2008 who was really sold on the idea that waving signs around that say "Google Ron Paul" was an effective campaign strategy. And just because someone "Googles" Austrian economics and reads a Wiki page doesn't automagically mean they're going to understand and/or agree with it. Looking at Google Trends for Austrian Economics over the past 30 days.....not enough data to show a trend. Sorry but I don't that Google on smart phones made a difference in this case.

Well, thank you for your service to the campaign, but that's neither here nor there.

My point is, it only takes a few minutes to find a youtube video, wiki, or website that simplifies issues. And not only that, but Austrian v. Keynesian economics is a hot topic this year. Heck, even Slick Rick talked about it in the previous debate. The EconStories has nearly four million hits between just two videos. That's four million people starting discussions about a complex economic system. So I think your assertion that RP needs to avoid these subjects is harmful.