PDA

View Full Version : How long until it turns into a Two-Man Debate, excluding anyone with less than 15%?

civusamericanus
09-12-2011, 08:42 PM
htxp://www.2012presidentialelectionnews.com/2012-debate-schedule/2011-2012-primary-debate-schedule/

Please note TBD

IMO, the media will decide to turn this into a two-man debate by 11/9/11. . Unless we destroy Perry, expect this prediction to come true.

September 12th, 2011 Highlight Videos
Sponsor: CNN and the Tea Party Express
Participants: Perry, Bachmann, Romney, Paul, Gingrich, Cain, Santorum, Huntsman

September 22nd, 2011 9pm ET on Fox News – Submit Questions
Sponsor: Fox News, Google and Florida Republican Party
Participants: TBD

October 11th, 2011 8pm ET on Bloomberg Television – Pre-debate coverage begins at 7pm ET
Sponsor: Bloomberg, The Washington Post and WBIN-TV

October 18th, 2011 Air time TBD on CNN
Sponsor: CNN and the Western Republican Leadership Conference

November 9th, 2011 8pm ET on CNBC
Sponsor: CNBC and the Michigan Republican Party

December 10th, 2011 Air time TBD on ABC
Sponsor: ABC News and Republican Party of Iowa

January 12th, 2012 Air time TBD on PBS
Sponsor: Des Moines Register and Iowa Public Television

January 30th, 2012 Air time TBD on Fox News
Sponsor: Fox News and Republican Party of Iowa

February, 2012 Air time TBD on ABC – Likely between February 7th and 13th
Sponsor: ABC News and WMUR

February, 2012 Air time TBD on Fox News – Likely between the 19th and 27th
Sponsor: Fox News and South Carolina Republican Party

March 5th, 2012 Air time TBD on NBC
Sponsor: Reagan Library, NBC News and Politico

Fermli
09-12-2011, 11:14 PM
What is your definition of a two man debate?

3 or 4 people on stage (those polling >15%), but most of the attention given to two people?
Or only two people on stage?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_%28United_States%29_presidential_ debates,_2008
I expect it to go similar to 2008. 6-8 people in the debates until January.

BUSHLIED
09-12-2011, 11:38 PM
I think that date is too early, I think the Jan debates will be date that they start to exclude candidates...

civusamericanus
09-13-2011, 12:58 AM
What is your definition of a two man debate?

3 or 4 people on stage (those polling >15%), but most of the attention given to two people?
Or only two people on stage?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_%28United_States%29_presidential_ debates,_2008
I expect it to go similar to 2008. 6-8 people in the debates until January.
I think all of us would expect and like to see the debates continue until January without exclusions. But the way the media keeps painting Romney and Perry as the only two viable candidates, I'm very concerned that unless either Romney or Perry take a major dive in the polls, that an attempt will be made to exclude others in future debates. The quickest way to this result, would be if Cain, Huntsman, Santorum, Gingrich, and even Bachmann drop out and throw their support behind Perry or Romney, which would be their excuse to shut Ron Paul out of the debates. Each of the lesser candidates are going to have a tough time keeping up with the fundraising, when sides are being picked by mainstream republicans for Perry and Romney. Pawlenty dropped when he was ranked higher then most who are continuing.

I'm not saying this is going to happen, but it is a possibility. Hell when in modern history has the 3rd place contender (Ron Paul) basically never even been given credit for placing 3rd in all the major presidential polls?

V3n
09-13-2011, 06:15 AM
October 30, 2007 - that is the date Ron Paul appeared on the Jay Leno show because Fox determined only candidates polling in the double-digits would be allowed at the debates.

We've got double-digits this time!

jct74
09-13-2011, 12:18 PM
October 30, 2007 - that is the date Ron Paul appeared on the Jay Leno show because Fox determined only candidates polling in the double-digits would be allowed at the debates.

We've got double-digits this time!

Ron Paul was on Leno twice. January 8 2008 was the date of the 2nd appearance, which was in response to the debate exclusion.

Shane Harris
09-13-2011, 12:32 PM
i want to see a line drawn at 5 percent. no more huntsman. no more santorum. if youre not gonna let gary debate you cant let them. personally id love to see them widdle it down to the top four, providing everyone get equal time and the same questions haha :rolleyes:

Legend1104
09-13-2011, 12:52 PM
The problem is that if they widdle down to the top four, they will then only really focus on the top two. When there are multiple candidates (8) then they have to devote at least a few questions to everyone else, otherwise they would be ignoring 6 others, that is two obvious. When there is just 4, they can ignore Ron because it doesn't really bother anyone else anymore.

Aratus
09-21-2011, 11:14 PM
the next 100 hours may cause three candidates to quit in the next five weeks!