PDA

View Full Version : A question for Pilots or anyone else about planes??

knarf
09-12-2011, 04:02 PM
These are the 4 flights on September 11th, 2001. I am wondering why none of these HUGE planes were not even half full?

Flight 11 was a Boeing 767, it could hold up to 375 people, but only 87 were on it? Flight 175 was also a Boeing 767, capable of carrying 375 people, but it only had 56 passengers, two pilots and seven flight attendants. American Airlines Flight 77 was a Boeing 757 capable of carrying 289 people, but there were only 64 people on it??!! Flight 93 was also a Boeing 757 capable of carrying 289 people but there were only 37 passengers and seven crew! I dont get it. Almost every plane I have ever been on, except the Cessna's was a full or almost a full plane!

I would like any input you all have or experiences with light loads, thanks

MelissaWV
09-12-2011, 04:07 PM
A lot of flights (particularly morning flights during a work week) do not operate at capacity. I've been on some where everyone had a row to themselves. It's awesome.

pcosmar
09-12-2011, 04:08 PM
I would like any input you all have or experiences with light loads, thanks

It's a Coincidence.

knarf
09-12-2011, 04:11 PM
A lot of flights (particularly morning flights during a work week) do not operate at capacity. I've been on some where everyone had a row to themselves. It's awesome.

Why not use a much smaller plane to save fuel?

libertybrewcity
09-12-2011, 04:12 PM
I flew on an Air India flight to London and the plane had about 6-10 people on it not including the crew. It was a two floor plane, too!

brushfire
09-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Fuel adds to weight and actually hurts fuel economy - you should not have more than what you need + emergency.

Things have since changed though - there are many more overbooked flights, with fewer opened seats. They also have optimized fleets so they are not using larger aircraft - instead they use the smaller aircraft with more flights. They also will charge for bag check, to discourage luggage (saving weight) - all in the name of efficiency. Its something that should have been done long ago...

knarf
09-12-2011, 04:17 PM
I flew on an Air India flight to London and the plane had about 6-10 people on it not including the crew. It was a two floor plane, too!

Wow, thats just a waste!

brushfire
09-12-2011, 04:19 PM

Interesting... They may also direct flights based on their need. Perhaps they had a full flight they needed the plane for, coming back from the region?

I've probably had 12 flights this year and they all were overbooked - all had offered vouchers for standby volunteers (domestic - midwest and east cost)

Brian4Liberty
09-12-2011, 04:36 PM

Yep.

Now that is awesome. Cattle car flights suck.

knarf
09-12-2011, 05:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0lzZvCNkJw

Tarzan
09-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Why not use a much smaller plane to save fuel?

You would run into huge dispatching problems. Having a smaller plane available, having a certified crew available, service and maintenance issues, etc. Then there is the problem on the other end. That plane is going to be used for other flights. If you show up with a plane that holds 100 and you have reservations for 400 on the next flight on which that plane will be used... well, you're screwed.

Then, there are the issues of route support and contracts. The feds are involved on this end so you have to perform at a certain level. Bump flights and people and your route gets cancelled and handed over to another carrier.

Other issues as well... these are some of the biggies.