PDA

View Full Version : Obama Errs In Speech

Revolution9
09-12-2011, 02:25 PM
“We all remember Abraham Lincoln as the leader who saved our Union. Founder of the Republican Party. But in the middle of a civil war, he was also a leader who looked to the future — a Republican President who mobilized government to build the Transcontinental Railroad — (applause) — launch the National Academy of Sciences, set up the first land grant colleges. (Applause.) And leaders of both parties have followed the example he set.”

So..why has he been given a pass on the above statement during his jobs speech? Anybody spot the egregious error?

Rev9

Bruno
09-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Founder of the Republican Party

And I believe it was NPR that was caught editing that part of of the transcript, then put it back in with an editor's note.

pcosmar
09-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Obama Errs In Speech
As if that was anything new.

I thought the railroads were private. Though they did get some Perks from the Government.

Aratus
09-12-2011, 03:09 PM
like humble western union and the war effort, the major railroads of the north
were often told things by sec' stanton? technically they were privately owned...

osan
09-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Obama Errs In Speech
As if that was anything new.

I thought the railroads were private. Though they did get some Perks from the Government.

Some perks? Are you kidding? Government railroaded countless land owners (literally, I guess) in order to secure the rights of way. As I recall, it was often a very ugly and shameful affair.

ghengis86
09-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Some perks? Are you kidding? Government railroaded countless land owners (literally, I guess) in order to secure the rights of way. As I recall, it was often a very ugly and shameful affair.

Is this where the term 'railroaded' originated?

pcosmar
09-12-2011, 03:37 PM

They gave some Government land to the Railroads. Private land was "Purchased", either voluntarily or otherwise.
The Railroads employed the Pinkertons and others to drive people off their land or agree to settle.
Pinkertons were those "private Police" that some here love so much.

But Yes, the Government gave the Railroads many incentives. They were still Private Companies.

Napoleon's Shadow
09-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Yes, there was no "civil" war in America.

The Southern independent republics left their federation to join another federation which is allowed according to the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. The remaining republics in the federation then began to attack the Confederation. The republics in the Confederation were not trying to control the government of the federation. That means it was NOT a "civil war".

Oh, and the federation never officially declared war as the Constitution requires.

That was the error in Obama's speech.