By Justin Fishel

Published September 12, 2011

| FoxNews.com

Print
Email
Comments

embassy_tripoli_091211.jpg

AP

A U.S. embassy emblem is seen on a broken door during a visit for the press in the vandalized U.S. Embassy in Tripoli, Libya, Sept. 12.

Despite repeated assurances from President Obama and military leaders that the U.S. would not send uniformed military personnel into Libya, four U.S. service members arrived on the ground in Tripoli over the weekend.

According to Pentagon spokesman Capt. John Kirby, the four unidentified troops are there working under the State Department's chief of mission to assist in rebuilding the U.S. Embassy.

Kirby noted the embassy in Tripoli was badly damaged during the conflict between Muammar Qaddafi's forces and the rebels.

Two of the military personnel are explosive-ordnance experts who will be used to disable any explosives traps left in the embassy. The other two are "general security," according to Kirby.

Kirby also made clear these troops are in no way part of a military operation on the ground. They are armed, however, if for some reason they need to protect themselves.

The troops are only expected to be there for a short while. After the assessment of the embassy is complete, they are expected to leave.

Obama assured Americans in March when the bombing campaign over Libya began that there would be no boots on the ground. From the East Room of the White House on March 18, he said: "The United States is not going to deploy ground troops into Libya."

Several days later at the National Defense University in Washington, D.C., he said: "I said that America's role would be limited, that we would not put ground troops into Libya, that we would focus our unique capabilities on the front end of the operation and that we would transfer responsibility to our allies and partners. Tonight, we are fulfilling that pledge."

Since then, U.S. officials speaking on the condition of anonymity have acknowledged the CIA has had a small number of so-called "spotters" on the ground to assist in the NATO mission. It's also well known that other foreign governments have sent special operations forces to fight on the ground with the rebels.

John Bolton, former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, told Fox News the fact that four troops are on the ground is "no big deal," considering the embassy had been trashed.

"You need this kind of expertise to make it safe for diplomats to return," Bolton said.

Kirby wouldn't say if there were plans to send more U.S. troops in the future.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/09/12/us-boots-on-ground-in-libya-pentagon-confirms/#ixzz1XlVYnkm1

Brown Sapper
09-12-2011, 12:52 PM
These guys are there for a military roles as much as their expertise. They will need to clear the building if they plan on using it again.

osan
09-12-2011, 12:54 PM
There is no end to the lies.

How many will die this time?

How many body bags will return to us?

Will we ever put an end to the Mob?

smartguy911
09-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Calm down

according to pentagon spokesman capt. John kirby, the four unidentified troops are there working under the state department's chief of mission to assist in rebuilding the u.s. Embassy.

jmdrake
09-12-2011, 12:58 PM
These guys are there for a military roles as much as their expertise. They will need to clear the building if they plan on using it again.

Calm down

Sure. That's the cover they are using. But the precedent is what is at issue. From the same article (something you might have missed).

Several days later at the National Defense University in Washington, D.C., he said: "I said that America's role would be limited, that we would not put ground troops into Libya, that we would focus our unique capabilities on the front end of the operation and that we would transfer responsibility to our allies and partners. Tonight, we are fulfilling that pledge."

Since then, U.S. officials speaking on the condition of anonymity have acknowledged the CIA has had a small number of so-called "spotters" on the ground to assist in the NATO mission. It's also well known that other foreign governments have sent special operations forces to fight on the ground with the rebels.

So here's the breakdown.

1) Officially they have admitted that their are indeed boots on the ground, though they highlight a non-combative role.
2) Unofficially the admit a combative role.
3) The truth probably lies behind door number 3.
4) It's all treason.

pcosmar
09-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Despite repeated assurances from President Obama and military leaders that the U.S. would not send uniformed military personnel into Libya,

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?314882-Caught-on-camera-American-citizen-on-the-ground-fighting-in-Libya

Semantics.

HOLLYWOOD
09-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Hmm, no mention of the US Embassy being stormed by the Libyan people after the US led NATO bombardiers blewup the Down syndrome hospital.

US policy... who cares about the country and it's people, as long as we control the government, funnel the natural resources to our handlers and partners in crime.

This was all planned long ago... many of the nations allowing the overthrow and inciting revolution and rebellion were compensated, even foreign media/press across multitude of nations.

Truth Is Treason In An Empire Of Lies

kylejack
09-12-2011, 01:08 PM
It was a lie anyway. There were pictures that came out of white males in American clothing supplying arms and training to the rebels. Maybe CIA, or maybe Delta Force or something. Regardless, Obama lied.

Matthew5
09-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Well, I can see a justifiable out on this one. I'd focus more on the treasonous act of missiles, sorties, and SPEC-OPS.

The president still lied, no doubt, but I think this carries the least gravity.

kylejack
09-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Well, I can see a justifiable out on this one. I'd focus more on the treasonous act of missiles, sorties, and SPEC-OPS.

We were only sending "military advisors" to Vietnam.

Matthew5
09-12-2011, 01:19 PM
We were only sending "military advisors" to Vietnam.

Point well taken...

jmdrake
09-12-2011, 01:19 PM

Consider it another "straw on the camel". Unfortunately Americans have gotten used to the idea over the years that somehow if you just drop bombs on people it "doesn't count". And so far the reports of SPEC-OPS on the ground haven't yet been admitted too. Sadly some (many?) Americans don't believe our government ever does anything that it hasn't admitted to....multiple times....and even then some don't believe. :(

Matthew5
09-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Consider it another "straw on the camel". Unfortunately Americans have gotten used to the idea over the years that somehow if you just drop bombs on people it "doesn't count". And so far the reports of SPEC-OPS on the ground haven't yet been admitted too. Sadly some (many?) Americans don't believe our government ever does anything that it hasn't admitted to....multiple times....and even then some don't believe. :(

So true... fortunately all my friends and family who have asked me about the war in Libya have been outraged at the president once I tell them about the bombings and such.

But that seems to be the great rut of this nation...people get mad and do nothing about it.

CaptainAmerica
09-12-2011, 01:45 PM
IMPEACHMENT time.

civusamericanus
09-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Old men in wheelchairs, could have taken Tripoli, after a couple hundred airstrike bombardments, which only the US could have pull off. Find any mainstream video of the Rebels taking Tripoli, and you'll find rebels in freshly pressed uniforms, barely breaking a sweat.

jmdrake
09-12-2011, 01:56 PM
So true... fortunately all my friends and family who have asked me about the war in Libya have been outraged at the president once I tell them about the bombings and such.

But that seems to be the great rut of this nation...people get mad and do nothing about it.

I'm glad your friends and family were moved by the bombings. To be honest this is the first I heard of the strike (http://af.reuters.com/article/libyaNews/idAFLDE73T0AG20110430?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0) on the down syndrome hospital (http://rob-payne.blogspot.com/2011/04/nato-bombs-libyan-downs-syndrome.html). I confront my friends and family on the fact that Al Qaeda is admittedly leading the rebels.

And you're right. It's time we quit just getting mad and start doing something about this.

Zippyjuan
09-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Four people sent in to help fix up the US Embassay. Hardly any invasion force.

According to Pentagon spokesman Capt. John Kirby, the four unidentified troops are there working under the State Department's chief of mission to assist in rebuilding the U.S. Embassy.

Kirby noted the embassy in Tripoli was badly damaged during the conflict between Muammar Qaddafi's forces and the rebels.

Two of the military personnel are explosive-ordnance experts who will be used to disable any explosives traps left in the embassy. The other two are "general security," according to Kirby.

Kirby also made clear these troops are in no way part of a military operation on the ground. They are armed, however, if for some reason they need to protect themselves.

The troops are only expected to be there for a short while. After the assessment of the embassy is complete, they are expected to leave.

pcosmar
09-12-2011, 07:58 PM

4 troops admitted to. for now. when the promise was NONE
They were not the only boots on that ground.

jmdrake
09-15-2011, 09:20 AM

How about the 2,200 Marines that were sent to Libya last March?

http://www.wcti12.com/news/27257042/detail.html

Quit carrying the NWO water Zippy. It's not becoming.

And why is this latest story even news? Because of FDR's treason the Marines report directly to the president and can be deployed without congressional authorization. Sending in army troops, even a few, just crosses another line.

enjerth
09-15-2011, 10:43 AM
If they're at the US embassy, they're on US soil, not in Libya.

jmdrake
09-15-2011, 10:59 AM
If they're at the US embassy, they're on US soil, not in Libya.

1) They had to cross Libyan soil (or at least airspace) to get to the embassy.
2) There are already "off the record" sources of special forces on the ground in Libya spotting for NATO bombings.
3) We already sent 2,200 marines to Libya and they were not sent to secure the embassy.

This is just a smaller part of a bigger picture of mission creep.

Agorism
09-15-2011, 11:07 AM
So can Rand challenge the war powers act now please?

osan
09-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Calm down

This is the official story. One can only wonder whether it is true in whole. These jokers are up to so much hanky panky anymore that one cannot tell truth from lies in a disturbingly large proportion of instances where their pie holes make noises.

Zippyjuan
09-16-2011, 11:57 AM
How about the 2,200 Marines that were sent to Libya last March?

http://www.wcti12.com/news/27257042/detail.html

Quit carrying the NWO water Zippy. It's not becoming.

And why is this latest story even news? Because of FDR's treason the Marines report directly to the president and can be deployed without congressional authorization. Sending in army troops, even a few, just crosses another line.

I was quoting the article. And as for quoting your link- it says the marines were on ships- not ashore.
They only did go ashore to try to rescue a couple of downed pilots and did not stay there according to your link. http://www.wcti12.com/news/27257042/detail.html

About 2,200 Marines from the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit will take part in support operations based aboard USS Kearsarge at sea. Those support operations have thus far included air strikes and one rescue operation. The overall mission is to help end the violence directed at the Libyan people.

Info on the rescue which used an Osprey and another helicoptor which flew in and back:
http://www.wcti12.com/news/27282287/detail.html

Officials from Camp Lejeune and New River Air Station said the US military used an Osprey and a CH-53E Super Stallion helicopter from 26th MEU to recover the aircraft and the pilots. This tactical recovery of aircraft and personnel mission is called "TRAP" for short.
Lejeune Marines rescued one pilot. Anti-Gadhafi forces rescued the other and then returned that pilot to the 26th MEU.
One pilot is in good condition, the condition of the other is unknown; they both suffered minor injuries.

jmdrake
09-16-2011, 12:03 PM
I was quoting the article. And as for quoting your link- it says the marines were on ships- not ashore.
They only did go ashore to try to rescue a couple of downed pilots according to your link. http://www.wcti12.com/news/27257042/detail.html

Info on the rescue which used an Osprey and another helicoptor which flew in and back:
http://www.wcti12.com/news/27282287/detail.html

Downed pilots that were doing what exactly?

UPDATE: To date, the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit has conducted numerous successful airstrikes against Muammar al-Qadhafi regime forces as part of Joint Task Force Odyssey Dawn supporting the international response to protect civilians in Libya under threat of attack by Qadhafi military forces. The 26th MEU has also conducted a successful Tactical Recovery of Aircraft and Personnel mission in support of two U.S. Air Force F-15 pilots after their airplane crashed east of Benghazi, Libya, Mar. 21.

kylejack
09-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Downed pilots that were doing what exactly?

UPDATE: To date, the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit has conducted numerous successful airstrikes against Muammar al-Qadhafi regime forces as part of Joint Task Force Odyssey Dawn supporting the international response to protect civilians in Libya under threat of attack by Qadhafi military forces. The 26th MEU has also conducted a successful Tactical Recovery of Aircraft and Personnel mission in support of two U.S. Air Force F-15 pilots after their airplane crashed east of Benghazi, Libya, Mar. 21.
I remember that incident. Marines went in and shot a bunch of innocent civilians that were trying to help the pilots.

jmdrake
09-16-2011, 12:12 PM
I remember that incident. Marines went in and shot a bunch of innocent civilians that were trying to help the pilots.

I didn't know that. :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1368750/Libya-war-US-rescue-team-shoot-6-civilians-rushing-greet-downed-F-15-crew.html

But...but...but...we've got to attack Libya to keep Khadafi from killing civilians! :rolleyes:

ghengis86
09-16-2011, 12:17 PM
CIA boots are not under Obama's control, figuratively or otherwise. Marine boots are and that is the issue at hand.

And just a question; are the grounds of an embassy considered property of the embassy's country or the host country? And are there active duty military members posted to an embassy normally?

It probably doesn't matter since news will leak in 12-18
Months that US forces (CIA, mil, specops) have been there since day 1 - 365 (at least) and the sheeple will be wrapped up on the latest American Idol showdown.

kylejack
09-16-2011, 12:22 PM
America closed down the embassy a long time ago, so I think it reverted to Libyan control. Regardless, there have been numerous leaked pictures of apparent Americans training rebels on RPG use and etc.