PDA

View Full Version : VA - Pet dog shot by cop on foot patrol.

Anti Federalist
09-11-2011, 10:36 PM
An important "money quote":

Sloggie said his Police Department has an escalation-of-force policy for dealing with people that compels less force like pepper spray or a taser before pulling out a gun. No similar policy applies to animals, and officers can employ a “general use of force.”

This is what I've been talking about, this is the "force continuum".

Most departments are discarding this, due to fed training, insurance and legal advice.

"General use of force" is the SOP for many departments now.

Meaning any use of force is justified to secure the situation and protect "officer" safety.

The practical result of that is that you might get blown away, legally, (thus the "paid two weeks" leave as punishment for shooting a mundane) the second an encounter with a cop goes the slightest bit sideways.

Moving on to the attempted puppycide.

Another pit bull shot by police

Should pepper spray be used instead
By Amanda Kerr
Modified:
Saturday, September 10, 2011 2:11 AM EDT
Originally Published: Saturday, September 10, 2011

http://www.vagazette.com/articles/2011/09/10/news/doc4e6ab53a50c78661077050.txt

WILLIAMSBURG — The owner of a pit bull is upset that a police officer shot and wounded his dog, but the officer says the animal growled and charged at him. Once again, a pit bull’s intentions are in dispute.

Just after 12:30 a.m. Thursday, the dog ran toward an officer on foot patrol at the Travel Inn on Richmond Road.

Williamsburg Police Chief Dave Sloggie said the officer tried to shield himself between two cars to avoid the dog. When the dog advanced to within an arm’s length, he fired one shot.

In February a James City officer shot and killed a neighbor’s pit bull as it ran toward him. The dog survived but was later euthanized because the bullet shattered its jaw. An investigation justified the shooting.

Robert Asbury, who owns the dog shot Thursday, said he was outside with the dog when the shot was fired. Asbury acknowledged the dog was not on a leash but said he was “trotting” toward the officer and “wagging his tail.” He said the dog was not acting aggressively.

Asbury said the officer was initially about 10 feet away from the dog while asking questions about what Asbury was doing there. He said as the dog, a 1-year-old male named Ice, approached, the officer began yelling “Stop!”

Asbury said Ice typically listens to commands but couldn’t hear his voice over the officer’s shouting.

“When Ice did hear my voice and turned around, that’s when the gunshot went off,” Asbury said. “If the officer was not yelling and being aggressive, the dog would have come right back to me.”

The bullet struck the dog in the jaw. He survived, and is recovering at a veterinary in Richmond.

Sloggie said his Police Department has an escalation-of-force policy for dealing with people that compels less force like pepper spray or a taser before pulling out a gun. No similar policy applies to animals, and officers can employ a “general use of force.”

“In this particular situation, an officer can react when he feels he’s in imminent danger or when he’s at risk of great bodily harm to defend himself,” Sloggie said, noting the response must seem reasonable. “It’s reasonable not to wait to be bitten before reacting, especially when a large dog could create a lot of injury that could even be fatal.”

Sloggie said internal and criminal investigations will be conducted to determine if the officer or the owner was at fault.

“I think we’re very fortunate an innocent citizen wasn’t out there who could have gotten hurt, and we are very fortunate that the officer didn’t get hurt,” Sloggie said. “We feel sorry that a dog was hurt.”

Asbury disputes that the officer’s decision to shoot was necessary.

“His life was in no danger,” he insisted. “He could have used a taser or mace. It’s totally wrong. That bullet could have ricocheted anywhere and gone into one of these motel rooms and killed someone else.”

Danke
09-11-2011, 10:38 PM
force continuum is sooo 90's (or older).

AFPVet
09-12-2011, 12:37 AM
An important "money quote":

This is what I've been talking about, this is the "force continuum".

Most departments are discarding this, due to fed training, insurance and legal advice.

"General use of force" is the SOP for many departments now.

Meaning any use of force is justified to secure the situation and protect "officer" safety.

The practical result of that is that you might get blown away, legally, (thus the "paid two weeks" leave as punishment for shooting a mundane) the second an encounter with a cop goes the slightest bit sideways.

Moving on to the attempted puppycide.

Another pit bull shot by police

Should pepper spray be used instead
By Amanda Kerr
Modified:
Saturday, September 10, 2011 2:11 AM EDT
Originally Published: Saturday, September 10, 2011

http://www.vagazette.com/articles/2011/09/10/news/doc4e6ab53a50c78661077050.txt

WILLIAMSBURG — The owner of a pit bull is upset that a police officer shot and wounded his dog, but the officer says the animal growled and charged at him. Once again, a pit bull’s intentions are in dispute.

Just after 12:30 a.m. Thursday, the dog ran toward an officer on foot patrol at the Travel Inn on Richmond Road.

Williamsburg Police Chief Dave Sloggie said the officer tried to shield himself between two cars to avoid the dog. When the dog advanced to within an arm’s length, he fired one shot.

In February a James City officer shot and killed a neighbor’s pit bull as it ran toward him. The dog survived but was later euthanized because the bullet shattered its jaw. An investigation justified the shooting.

Robert Asbury, who owns the dog shot Thursday, said he was outside with the dog when the shot was fired. Asbury acknowledged the dog was not on a leash but said he was “trotting” toward the officer and “wagging his tail.” He said the dog was not acting aggressively.

Asbury said the officer was initially about 10 feet away from the dog while asking questions about what Asbury was doing there. He said as the dog, a 1-year-old male named Ice, approached, the officer began yelling “Stop!”

Asbury said Ice typically listens to commands but couldn’t hear his voice over the officer’s shouting.

“When Ice did hear my voice and turned around, that’s when the gunshot went off,” Asbury said. “If the officer was not yelling and being aggressive, the dog would have come right back to me.”

The bullet struck the dog in the jaw. He survived, and is recovering at a veterinary in Richmond.

“In this particular situation, an officer can react when he feels he’s in imminent danger or when he’s at risk of great bodily harm to defend himself,” Sloggie said, noting the response must seem reasonable. “It’s reasonable not to wait to be bitten before reacting, especially when a large dog could create a lot of injury that could even be fatal.”

Sloggie said internal and criminal investigations will be conducted to determine if the officer or the owner was at fault.

“I think we’re very fortunate an innocent citizen wasn’t out there who could have gotten hurt, and we are very fortunate that the officer didn’t get hurt,” Sloggie said. “We feel sorry that a dog was hurt.”

Asbury disputes that the officer’s decision to shoot was necessary.

“His life was in no danger,” he insisted. “He could have used a taser or mace. It’s totally wrong. That bullet could have ricocheted anywhere and gone into one of these motel rooms and killed someone else.”

Exactly... these cops make excuses like "the less lethal weapons aren't as easily accessible"; or "pepper spray wont do anything to an attacking dog". All of this is BS.

CaptainAmerica
09-12-2011, 12:38 AM
"Officer safety" is the new excuse for killing. "Just following orders" was the predecessor.

Rael
09-12-2011, 01:31 AM
Asbury acknowledged the dog was not on a leash

Here we go again!

Krugerrand
09-12-2011, 06:09 AM
Here we go again!

Rael takes slack for statements like these ...but sheesh people ... these boards are quick to blame the people that call the cops ... well walking your pit bull without a leash when the puppy murders are on the prowl is just as irresponsible.

Sure - put the blame where it belongs - on the cops. But, if you don't want it to be your dog - keep the dog on the leash. (it's no guarantee, but it sure improves your dog

DamianTV
09-12-2011, 06:55 AM
Valid point.

If someones dog comes up to me while I'm walking my dog, and I dont see his owner around and its vicious, like trying to kill me vicious, damn right I am going to shoot it! Now, to be fair, if I see a dog just wandering around that ISNT bothering me or anyone else, I'll just let it be, which is what I would prefer. One of the problems is that you cant teach Common Sense, and I think Personal Responsiblity is one of those things that just cant be taught or regulated. If we didnt have any leash laws, there would be people that would complain that there are no leash laws, then when their dog gets out of their yard, they are the first ones to complain that the pound didnt immediately come out and pick up their dog for them. They take NO Personal Responsiblity, for them, or their furry friends.

Cops, however, tend to use violence as their first step, not as the last possible option. However, those that outrank them (cant call them superior because they are merely higher ranking) do not hold those officers accountable for their actions.

I have a feeling that a time is soon coming when the US Military will open fire on Civilians on US Soil. Are we going to blame the soldiers for shooting people during Food Riots, or are we going to place the blame where it really belongs? On the people that Gave The Order To Kill? Our family members that are Soldiers will face their own consequences for Not Killing Unarmed Civilians, we as the Public, need to hold those that give the orders accountable for their actions.

fisharmor
09-12-2011, 07:03 AM
Well, I was pretty happy to find out this is happening in the tidewater area.... at least they have a history of being a lot more statist than the rest of the state.

I sent an email to the head of VCDL (local gun rights org) asking whether or not the officer's behavior would have been similarly legally protected had he not been a cop.

Krugerrand
09-12-2011, 07:26 AM
Well, I was pretty happy to find out this is happening in the tidewater area.... at least they have a history of being a lot more statist than the rest of the state.

I sent an email to the head of VCDL (local gun rights org) asking whether or not the officer's behavior would have been similarly legally protected had he not been a cop.

a better turn would be if we fear for our safety because of a k-9 unit, will we be similarly legally protected when we shoot it.