Alabama
Arizona ##
Colorado #
Massachusetts #
New Hampshire ####
New Jersey ###
North Carolina
Rhode Island

CLOSED (20) Only Republicans. Registration deadline follows state name.
Alaska - N/A ####
Connecticut - Thu Apr 19
Delaware - Mon Apr 9
District of Columbia - Mon Mar 5
Florida - Tue Jan 3 ####
Kentucky - Mon Apr 23 (Dec 31 '11 to change party)
Louisiana January 1, 2012 to participate in the caucus and by February 1, 2012 for the primary change registration here: http://www.sos.la.gov/OnlineVoterRegistrationOVR/tabid/955/Default.aspx ####
Maine - N/A ####
Maryland - Tue Mar 13
Nebraska - Fri Apr 27
Nevada - N/A ##
New Mexico - TBA
New York - TBA
Oklahoma - TBA #
Oregon - Tue Apr 24
Pennsylvania - TBA
South Dakota - TBA
Utah - N/A
West Virginia - TBA ####
Wyoming - N/A ##

Top Two (3) basically open – top 2 candidates get on the ballot.
California
Washington ##

Sources:
http://www.fairvote.org/open-and-closed-primaries
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread742675/pg1
https://www.overseasvotefoundation.org/2012-Primary-Dates-Chart

Chowder
09-11-2011, 04:48 AM
Thanks for posting these, oh boy we got a LOT of work to do to get Ron Paul to white house!

sailingaway
09-11-2011, 05:11 AM
California is not top two get on the ballot for Presidential races, I'm virtually certain. I feel sure I looked into that previously.

Another point to consider is that this stuff is changing, and the GOP is trying to make everything closed, it would appear, in the states where that is being addressed. We need to be on the look out for that.

So get people to register. Some of the cut off dates for that are early. If it is like for Senate, Kentuckians would need to be registered GOP by December, for example. And some states are still moving up their primaries.

tangent4ronpaul
09-11-2011, 05:24 AM
California is not top two get on the ballot for Presidential races, I'm virtually certain. I feel sure I looked into that previously.

Another point to consider is that this stuff is changing, and the GOP is trying to make everything closed, it would appear, in the states where that is being addressed. We need to be on the look out for that.

So get people to register. Some of the cut off dates for that are early. If it is like for Senate, Kentuckians would need to be registered GOP by December, for example. And some states are still moving up their primaries.

OK - could you double check? This sounds like you are correct about that:

On June 8, 2010 voters passed Prop. 14 to create a nonpartisan blanket primary system in which all candidates are listed on the same primary ballot and the top two vote recipients face off in the general election. It has often been referred to as the "Top Two" Plan.

Top Two/ non-partisan blanket primary: This method puts all candidates, regardless of party affiliation, on the same ballot. The top vote-getters then face off in the general election. This type of system is used in California and Washington, as well as in Nebraska for non-partisan election such as for the state's legislature.

Note on terminology: “Top Two” primaries are often referred to as “open primaries,” but that terminology has long been used in reference to the type of party primaries in which all voters may choose which party’s primary to participate in. By contrast, the systems adopted by California and Washington eliminate party primaries altogether. They are more accurately described as “nonpartisan blanket primaries.” For those hooked on the “open primaries” language, it would be more precise and less confusing to at least call them “nonpartisan open primaries.”

The following is a running list of states by types of party primary, updated June 2011:

http://www.fairvote.org/open-and-closed-primaries

thanks,

-t

sailingaway
09-11-2011, 05:45 AM
I will double check, but a further note: The CA GOP said that if that passed (the top two system) they would go to caucuses. As I said, I understood it didn't apply to the Presidential race, however.

In California, the top two candidates could easily both be Democrats, in many cases.

I tried to find the pdf platform and amendments etc for next weekend's CA GOP convention to see if there was anything interesting there, but didn't see them on the event page. They might be on the CAGOP webpage.

Article V
09-11-2011, 05:58 AM
I am nearly certain this information is incorrect for Louisiana. Unlike Congressional primaries, Presidential primaries in Louisiana are closed. Louisiana is actually one of the few states with both a closed primary&caucus system for political party nominations.

sailingaway
09-11-2011, 06:03 AM
http://townhall.livefreeordiealliance.org/group/top2partyprimarysystem

California adopted a Top 2 Primary measure in statewide balloting in June of 2010 -- 53.8 percent to 46.2 percent.

Proposition 14 in California provides for a "voter-nominated primary election" for each state elective office and congressional office. Voters can vote in the primary election for any candidate for a congressional or state elective office without regard to the political party affiliations of either the candidate or the voter. Candidates can choose whether or not to have their political party affiliation displayed on the ballot.

It does not apply to presidential elections.

Gage
09-11-2011, 06:05 AM
I think the same would apply for Washington.

tangent4ronpaul
09-11-2011, 06:14 AM
I am nearly certain this information is incorrect for Louisiana. Unlike Congressional primaries, Presidential primaries in Louisiana are closed. Louisiana is actually one of the few states with both a closed primary&caucus system for political party nominations.

Please check and I will update. If I need to move a state, please indicate what category it should go into.

here is the additional info I have on LA:

The "cajun/Louisiana primary" or "open general election" resembles the Top Two plans of California and Washington, except the "primary" stage occurs in November, and the top two vote-getters then proceed into a December runoff election. These are currently used for both state and congressional elections.

thanks,

-t

tangent4ronpaul
09-11-2011, 06:16 AM

OK, but is it open, semi-closed or closed?

Need that to move it.

thanks,

-t

tangent4ronpaul
09-11-2011, 06:17 AM
I think the same would apply for Washington.

Need conformation again and where to move it.

side info for Washington:

"Top Two" system similar to California's except for its more liberal party preference rules, which allow candidates to declare their affiliation to anything within 16 characters, including nonexistent parties or established parties that have not endorsed them.

Thanks,

-t

sailingaway
09-11-2011, 06:17 AM
I'm also pretty sure Washington state has voted to skip the primary and just have caucuses this year, for budgetary reasons.

tangent4ronpaul
09-11-2011, 06:23 AM
I'm also pretty sure Washington state has voted to skip the primary and just have caucuses this year, for budgetary reasons.

Confirmed:

however I'm calling both primaries and caucuses "primaries" in this chart. The intent of this document is who can vote, not if it's a primary or a caucus.

-t

Crystallas
09-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Illinois is a semi-open primary. I registered republican just to be sure, but I'm confused to whether or not it is needed. I'm more-so curious for friends that I can get to vote for RP, but they might be too lazy to mail in a registration/procrastinators.

tangent4ronpaul
09-11-2011, 06:54 AM
Illinois is a semi-open primary. I registered republican just to be sure, but I'm confused to whether or not it is needed. I'm more-so curious for friends that I can get to vote for RP, but they might be too lazy to mail in a registration/procrastinators.

Voters declare their party affiliation at the polling place to a judge who must then announce it "in a distinct tone of voice, sufficiently loud to be heard by all persons in the polling place." If there is no "challenge," the voters is given the primary ballot for his declared party.

I'm going to leave it in the open category unless someone can provide a good reason not to. I counted states where you could declare/change your party at the door as open - and there were a few.

-t

Article V
09-11-2011, 07:09 AM
Please check and I will update. If I need to move a state, please indicate what category it should go into.

here is the additional info I have on LA:

The "cajun/Louisiana primary" or "open general election" resembles the Top Two plans of California and Washington, except the "primary" stage occurs in November, and the top two vote-getters then proceed into a December runoff election. These are currently used for both state and congressional elections.

thanks,

-t
Yeah, that information isn't correct either when it comes to Presidential races or the nomination process.

It's definitely a closed primary&caucus system for the Republican nomination process. The exact dates of both the caucus and the primary are still in flux (currently the caucus is scheduled for late January & primary in late March), so the deadline for registration is still up in the air as well. To be on the safe side, I would say voters need to be registered in the Republican party by January 1, 2012 to participate in the caucus and by February 1, 2012 for the primary. Once the exact Louisiana caucus and primary dates are set in stone, we can update this page; but best we be safe, rather than sorry. Louisiana voters can switch their political party affiliation online in under 5 minutes by visiting: http://www.sos.la.gov/OnlineVoterRegistrationOVR/tabid/955/Default.aspx

tangent4ronpaul
09-11-2011, 07:20 AM
LA info corrected

thanks!

-t

Crystallas
09-11-2011, 07:40 AM
Voters declare their party affiliation at the polling place to a judge who must then announce it "in a distinct tone of voice, sufficiently loud to be heard by all persons in the polling place." If there is no "challenge," the voters is given the primary ballot for his declared party.

I'm going to leave it in the open category unless someone can provide a good reason not to. I counted states where you could declare/change your party at the door as open - and there were a few.

-t

I hope it's that simple :) I have been a registered Libertarian for 22 years, and this has been my 1st exception.

thomas-in-ky
09-11-2011, 07:53 AM
That's right...

In Kentucky, the deadline to change party affiliation in time to vote in a primary is December 31st of the preceding year (or the last day of the year that the county clerks office is open... I.e. Watch out if dec 31st falls on a Sunday or holiday). If you've never been registered in the state before or if you are only changing address, then the deadline is 28 or 29 days before the actual primary. (the latter deadline is risky, i know three people whose change of address cards were not accepted after december 31, because they had registered democrat at their previous residence and had forgotten... The clerk will catch this on the computer! You can not change party affiliation in Kentucky after December 31st and still be eligible to vote in that primary!) Long story short, get your Kentucky friends registered republican by December 31st so they can vote for Ron Paul!!!

We're not an early primary state, but unless he carries it in a landslide (unlikely?), I think Ron Paul is going to need the delegates from KY to win this.

orenbus
09-11-2011, 07:57 AM
I'm sure a lot of these dates are going to be fluid and will shift and be moved up as they were in 2008.

States are always competing against each other to be moved up closer towards the front and registration and party change affiliation deadlines end up being different due to this which causes the uninformed potential voters becoming victims of changing dates and missed opportunities.

Gage
09-11-2011, 07:59 AM
http://electionsncc.delaware.gov/votreg.shtml#when2

Are you sure about the deadline for Delaware? It says the deadline is the October 31 before the primary.

tangent4ronpaul
09-11-2011, 08:02 AM
That's right...

In Kentucky, the deadline to change party affiliation in time to vote in a primary is December 31st of the preceding year (or the last day of the year that the county clerks office is open... I.e. Watch out if dec 31st falls on a Sunday or holiday). If you've never been registered in the state before or if you are only changing address, then the deadline is 28 or 29 days before the actual primary. (the latter deadline is risky, i know three people whose change of address cards were not accepted after december 31, because they had registered democrat at their previous residence and had forgotten... The clerk will catch this on the computer! You can not change party affiliation in Kentucky after December 31st and still be eligible to vote in that primary!) Long story short, get your Kentucky friends registered republican by December 31st so they can vote for Ron Paul!!!

We're not an early primary state, but unless he carries it in a landslide (unlikely?), I think Ron Paul is going to need the delegates from KY to win this.

Updated

tangent4ronpaul
09-11-2011, 08:05 AM
http://electionsncc.delaware.gov/votreg.shtml#when2

Are you sure about the deadline for Delaware? It says the deadline is the October 31 before the primary.

Your link has 2010 dates, I'm going off:

tangent4ronpaul
09-11-2011, 10:46 AM
any other corrections/clarifications?

could a mod sticky this thread?

tsai3904
09-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Idaho is a closed caucus.

http://idgop.org/presidential-caucus-faq/

3. Who votes in the Caucus?

All registered Republican voters in the county are eligible to vote in the County Caucuses. Voters may register to vote as Republicans as they enter the Caucus site.

Caucus date is March 6 so voters can register Republican up to March 6.

hueylong
09-11-2011, 11:22 AM
All this is available at: http://www.thegreenpapers.com/

tangent4ronpaul
09-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Idaho is a closed caucus.

Caucus date is March 6 so voters can register Republican up to March 6.

OK thanks!

I moved to open. If someone can change party at the caucus, it's open.

-t

tsai3904
09-11-2011, 11:52 AM
I moved to open. If someone can change party at the caucus, it's open.

Moving it to open is up to you but if I were keeping this list, I would classify it as closed. Some Democrats and Independents will never register Republican and this may throw them off when they show up at the caucus thinking they can vote without registering Republican. Some people might tell their D/I friends that they don't have to register and that may cause problems the day of the caucus. Also, by classifying it as open, people might not register til the day of the caucus which might cause delays.

RonPaul101.com
09-11-2011, 11:56 AM
I don't believe Independents can vote in the GOP primary in NJ. I will research it more and post whatever evidence I can find. Unaffiliated voters can declare a party affiliation at the primary vote, but I don't think Indy's and Dem's can change on site.

Lime I said, I'll look into it and post back for sure.

tangent4ronpaul
09-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Moving it to open is up to you but if I were keeping this list, I would classify it as closed. Some Democrats and Independents will never register Republican and this may throw them off when they show up at the caucus thinking they can vote without registering Republican. Some people might tell their D/I friends that they don't have to register and that may cause problems the day of the caucus. Also, by classifying it as open, people might not register til the day of the caucus which might cause delays.

It's a piece of paper and they can change back easily if they care.

I would be more concerned about loosing potential D/I voters if they thought they had to be previously registered R to show up. This is obviously a trivial procedure. Show up, fill out a piece of paper, vote.

tsai3904
09-11-2011, 12:02 PM
It's a piece of paper and they can change back easily if they care.

I would be more concerned about loosing potential D/I voters if they thought they had to be previously registered R to show up. This is obviously a trivial procedure. Show up, fill out a piece of paper, vote.

Ok, again its up to you but if thats your logic than Iowa should be classified as open too. Voters can register Republican at the caucus.

Shane Harris
09-11-2011, 12:09 PM
http://www.eac.gov/assets/1/Documents/national%20mail%20voter%20registration%20form%20en glish%20February%2015%202011.pdf

tangent4ronpaul
09-11-2011, 12:16 PM
http://www.eac.gov/assets/1/Documents/national%20mail%20voter%20registration%20form%20en glish%20February%2015%202011.pdf

Register To Vote In Your State
By Using This
Postcard Form and Guide

dntrpltt
09-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Don't forget--if you are registered as a Libertarian in a semi-closed state, you can't vote in the Republican primary either. Change over to either Republican or Independent/Unaffiliated before its too late!

tangent4ronpaul
09-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Don't forget--if you are registered as a Libertarian in a semi-closed state, you can't vote in the Republican primary either. Change over to either Republican or Independent/Unaffiliated before its too late!

Good point!

tsai - are you sure about IA?

should probably update the list with things like change party at event and if caucus or primary.

-t

tsai3904
09-11-2011, 11:54 PM
are you sure about IA?

http://www.sos.state.ia.us/elections/voterinformation/faq.html#10

tangent4ronpaul
09-12-2011, 12:14 AM
Got it - moving to open

The only time that party affiliation is important in terms of voting is in the case of a political party caucus or a primary election. In those cases, voters must be registered with the political party whose caucus or primary they wish to participate in. Voters have the right to change their affiliation and then participate in the caucus or primary election on the day those events are being held. (Ex. Someone who is registered as a Republican may participate in the Democratic primary election by changing his or her political affiliation to Democratic on the day the primary election is held and vice versa.)

thanks!

-t

anaconda
09-12-2011, 12:46 AM
What's the third "top two" state? Says there are three but only two are listed. Rather ironic, considering the category...

harikaried
09-12-2011, 01:03 AM
Top Two basically open – top 2 candidates get on the ballot.
California

"This does not affect the presidential primary, local offices, or non-partisan offices such as judges and the Superintendent of Public Instruction."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonpartisan_blanket_primary#Use_in_California

tangent4ronpaul
09-12-2011, 01:05 AM
What's the third "top two" state? Says there are three but only two are listed. Rather ironic, considering the category...

top 2 is a different voting method. everyone gets on the primary ballot, the top 2 regardless of party get on the general ballot. We found out these didn't apply to presidential elections. One got moved already, waiting on finding out if the remaining 2 should be move to open, semi-closed or closed before moving them.

-t

anaconda
09-12-2011, 02:13 AM
I'm gonna have to pull out my California 2010 voter booklet and read the initiative that passed regarding the "openness" of our primary.

Anarchist
09-12-2011, 04:10 AM
Correction: IDAHO has gone to the caucus system as of 2011 for the Republican Party Presidential Nomination. Statewide caucus to be held on first Tuesday in March, 2012.

tangent4ronpaul
09-12-2011, 04:20 AM
Correction: IDAHO has gone to the caucus system as of 2011 for the Republican Party Presidential Nomination. Statewide caucus to be held on first Tuesday in March, 2012.

So has to be registered repub or not?

source?

thanks,

-t

tangent4ronpaul
09-12-2011, 05:47 PM
updates please....

tangent4ronpaul
09-12-2011, 07:28 PM
bump

Badger Paul
09-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Bottom line is, if you need to register Republican to vote in your state's primary or caucus DO IT NOW! DO NOT WAIT!

tangent4ronpaul
09-13-2011, 10:33 AM
if the mods won't sticky - BUMP!

Brian4Liberty
09-13-2011, 11:06 AM
I will double check, but a further note: The CA GOP said that if that passed (the top two system) they would go to caucuses. As I said, I understood it didn't apply to the Presidential race, however.

In California, the Political Parties have always been able to choose whether or not their Presidential Primaries will be open or closed. They choose closed. You must be a registered Republican to vote in the Republican Presidential Primary in California.

Brian4Liberty
09-13-2011, 11:09 AM
2012 Primaries:

Top Two (3) basically open – top 2 candidates get on the ballot.
California

You need to edit the OP.

California - Closed, you must register Republican to vote in a Republican Presidential Primary.

Anarchist
09-13-2011, 03:01 PM
So has to be registered repub or not?

source?

thanks,

-t
Closed caucus, you need to be Registered Republican.
It is my understanding that you can register at the caucus.
http://idgop.org

RonPaul101.com
09-13-2011, 03:14 PM
If Idaho is that early and its a caucus, how do we poll there? Do they have polls there?

Idaho will be on (not-so-Super) Tuesday:

"The caucus will be scheduled for the earliest Tuesday allowed by the Republican National Committee. Only four states will hold earlier nomination contests: Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina.

Ron Nate of Rexburg, who chaired the rules subcommittee that submitted the caucus proposal, says Idaho's 32 delegates are more than Iowa, New Hampshire or Nevada."

Anarchist
09-13-2011, 03:37 PM
IDAHO
2. How does the Caucus work?

The first Tuesday in March, the day of Idaho’s Republican Presidential Nomination Caucus, every county in the state will hold a County Caucus.

The voting will be conducted by secret ballot and takes place in successive rounds. Each round, low vote-getters are eliminated. Voting ends in either of two circumstances: a) one candidate receives a supermajority of at least 60% of the vote; or b) only two final candidates remain on the ballot and the final vote is taken.

Delegates for the Republican National Convention will be apportioned according to the Counties’ state convention apportionment and the voting totals from the County Caucuses with the proviso that any candidate who receives more than 50% of the statewide County Caucus delegates total will be awarded all the Idaho delegates for the Republican National Convention.

3. Who votes in the Caucus?

All registered Republican voters in the county are eligible to vote in the County Caucuses. Voters may register to vote as Republicans as they enter the Caucus site.

Matthew5
09-13-2011, 03:48 PM
FYI, I sent an E-mail to my county Republican chair this morning in Oklahoma and she said the date will be March 3rd for the primary. It is confirmed as closed. Looks like I'll have to switch to Republican :(

Also, voter registration closes 24 days before an election and registration must be performed through the mail.

tangent4ronpaul
09-14-2011, 02:28 AM
thanks for the updates - will update chart soon, but working on something now.

tangent4ronpaul
09-14-2011, 03:31 AM
OP updated with phase information

tangent4ronpaul
09-14-2011, 11:04 AM
blimp

tangent4ronpaul
09-14-2011, 01:36 PM
STICKY ME!

Hello Mods....

libertarian4321
09-14-2011, 01:55 PM
any other corrections/clarifications?

could a mod sticky this thread?

Good idea, since the question about open and closed primaries seems to come up quite frequently here.

dinoyn5
09-15-2011, 09:01 PM
OK... I admit, I know very little about the primary system. I am registered Republican in Louisiana. I have heard that we have the delegate system but I don't understand it. Is that true? Can someone explain exactly what I will be voting for/doing concerning the caucus and primary. Will I vote directly for RP, or a delegate? Sorry to be so malinformed. I have always voted in the general election only, I went 3rd party because they all were pitiful. Thanks.

Matthew5
09-15-2011, 09:27 PM
OK... I admit, I know very little about the primary system. I am registered Republican in Louisiana. I have heard that we have the delegate system but I don't understand it. Is that true? Can someone explain exactly what I will be voting for/doing concerning the caucus and primary. Will I vote directly for RP, or a delegate? Sorry to be so malinformed. I have always voted in the general election only, I went 3rd party because they all were pitiful. Thanks.

Welcome! Thanks for being willing to wade through the confusion. I'm not sure on the specifics, but this is from the state website:

PRESIDENTIAL PREFERENCE PRIMARY

A statewide presidential preference primary election is held on the 3rd Saturday after the first Tuesday in March in 2012 and every 4th year thereafter for the purpose of allowing the electors of each political party in the state which has 40,000 or more registered members to express their preference for a person to be the nominee of the party for president of the United States.

· This election is a closed party election. There are only two political parties involved, the Democratic and Republican parties, because they have 40,000 or more registered members.

· Democratic voters may only vote on candidates for the offices of Democratic presidential nominee and Democratic state and local committees, plus any local offices and/or propositions.

· Republican voters may only vote on candidates for the offices of Republican presidential nominee and Republican state and local committees, plus any local offices and/or propositions.

· All other voters may vote only for any local offices and/or propositions if any are on the ballot.

· There are no runoff elections for the Democratic and Republican offices. A general election is held only if local offices are on the ballot and no one receives a majority vote in the primary election.

2012 Presidential Preference Primary Election will be held on March 24, 2012.
Qualifying December 7 – 9, 2011.

Last day to register to vote in this election is February 22, 2012.
Absentee by mail ballots may be requested from January 24, 2012 – March 20, 2012. (Except for military stationed anywhere, civilians overseas, persons hospitalized, and sequestered juror voters)
Early Voting will be held March 10 - 17, 2012.

Maybe get in contact with your local Republican party?

Valli6
09-15-2011, 09:50 PM
I don't believe Independents can vote in the GOP primary in NJ. I will research it more and post whatever evidence I can find. Unaffiliated voters can declare a party affiliation at the primary vote, but I don't think Indy's and Dem's can change on site.
In New Jersey you must be currently "unafilliated" to be able to declare at the poll the day of the election.
If you've declared with another party before, you must fill out a form to switch parties and file it 55 days before the election.

Download the "Party Afiliation Declaration Form" here: http://www.njelections.org/parties_doe.html
Find County Election info here: http://www.njelections.org/loc_officials_doe.html

beardedlinen
09-15-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm assuming as a Jersey man registered as a Republican I'm all set. :P

dinoyn5
09-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Thank you!

Welcome! Thanks for being willing to wade through the confusion. I'm not sure on the specifics, but this is from the state website:

Maybe get in contact with your local Republican party?

Sjmfury
09-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Bump for Urgency.

Paul4Prez
09-20-2011, 12:00 AM
More good info here:

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P12/events.phtml?s=c

Kregisen
01-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Are you guys sure Arizona is a semi-closed primary? I thought it was closed and my friend just said he thought it was closed too and he used to work at the elections department.

Monotaur
01-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Are you guys sure Arizona is a semi-closed primary? I thought it was closed and my friend just said he thought it was closed too and he used to work at the elections department.

Dunno about Arizona, but atleast Colorado is a closed primary so that list isn't 100%. Check your state's Secretary of State website.

mmadness
01-24-2012, 06:09 PM
bump

tsai3904
01-24-2012, 06:11 PM
bump

DO NOT use this as a guide. There are a lot of errors.

Use this page for voter registration information:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?315740-State-by-State-Voting-Information

ericthethe
01-24-2012, 06:43 PM
edit: nvm