PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Liberals Love Ron Paul?

tangent4ronpaul
09-10-2011, 10:10 AM
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/211681/20110910/why-do-liberals-love-ron-paul-jon-stewart-daily-show.htm

Why do liberals love Ron Paul? That's the pressing question of the moment, since everywhere I turn lately a liberal is praising the Republican presidential candidate, obviously a conservative.

There's the well-known affection that liberal commentator Jon Stewart has for Paul, a Texas House member trending in high-single digits according to the latest polls on the Republican presidential race. Stewart first began talking of Paul more than one month ago, after the Texan finished second to Michele Bachmann in the Iowa straw poll yet the mainstream media virtually ignored the accomplishment.

Yet when discussion turned to Paul this week, the gentleman rose from his chair, waving his arms, while saying how much he liked Ron Paul. He wasn't planning to vote for Paul, of course, but the affection was obvious. "He's a bit crazy," the man said, referring to Paul, "but he's quite interesting. I really like him."

Crazy, of course, means "Republican."

The sentiment was similar to what Stewart has professed on his show, which is perhaps the ultimate compliment to Paul. They aren't willing to go as far as saying Paul should be a winner, but they do like his political ideas, on subjects ranging from the Fed to immigration.

In politics, it's the ideas that have long been missing in Washington. Paul is apparently landing something in that regard in America -- and some is landing in the strangest of places.

acptulsa
09-10-2011, 10:14 AM
'...landing something...' What the hell does that mean?

Well, whatever. The reason is simple and obvious. They're eternal optimists, and still hoping for change.

It's what they and we have in common.

orenbus
09-10-2011, 10:16 AM
The reason is simple and obvious. They're eternal optimists, and still hoping for change.

It's what they and we have in common.

This ^

CUnknown
09-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Good politicians are loved inside their own party, but great statesmen are loved throughout the whole country.

sickmint79
09-10-2011, 10:37 AM
for my liberal friends i hammer hard the ideas that the president has some of the most power over what to do with the war on drugs, including how harmful it is to the black community, and the war on terror/foreign policy - and point out how obama is poor on both these fronts and does not hold up well to their supposed values, and how ron paul could end these endeavors and put into place much more sensible policies.

TNforPaul45
09-10-2011, 10:42 AM
I don't know if they do love him, to tell you the truth.

I think there are two camps going on among the progressives. First, is a weakened version of "Operation Chaos" where they think if they support the republican candidate that is often viewed by the main stream as the weaker, that they can help nudge him towards the nomination so that Obama will have no problem getting elected (boy what a wake up call they will have, Nov. 6, 2012)

Second, I think that there are some that really do like his stances on the Wars and some Domestic-social issues. But from what I have seen, the majority of progressives and neo-liberals that comment on Paul have the same, blind, ignorant catchphrases bouncing around in their heads.

They are as deluded as the majority of GOP voters on him. Some that I have personally talked to have said "he has good ideas, but they wont work in the real world, only in a fantasy, ideal world."

InTradePro
09-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Dr Paul is known to be someone that tells the truth even if you disagree with him, that gets respect.

Many liberals are quite pissed at Obama for not following his election promises.

Those two things go together and means that Dr Paul gets love even from those that completely disagree with him on policies. There is a reddit thread that is quite telling. It's a good read.

http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/jpcrx/i_dont_have_a_favorite_politician_but_this_pic/

I've been a Dem for a while now too (Voted for Clinton both times and I'm still pissed about the Kerry/FL thing). I can honestly say I'm so disgusted with Reps AND Dems right now I can't see voting for either.

I registered as a Libertarian this year and I plan to vote for that man seen sitting by himself with the boss footwear.

Exactly. I'm definitely progressive in every aspect but this man has my respect. I like the way he is and I think it's bullshit how little attention he's getting. If I were to vote Republican, it'd definitely be Ron Paul.

LawnWake
09-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Regardless of whether or not 'liberals' like Ron Paul, this article makes it ok for liberals to like him. I'd like to see more of those.

speciallyblend
09-10-2011, 11:05 AM
liberals like ron paul because he is not a "Crazy/Republican" aka gop establishment/status quo/obama republicans/biggovgop aka everyone running in the gop but Ron paul 2012!!!!!!!

wide awake
09-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Dr Paul is known to be someone that tells the truth even if you disagree with him, that gets respect.

Many liberals are quite pissed at Obama for not following his election promises.

Those two things go together and means that Dr Paul gets love even from those that completely disagree with him on policies. There is a reddit thread that is quite telling. It's a good read.

http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/jpcrx/i_dont_have_a_favorite_politician_but_this_pic/

Thanks for posting that link... I think this is my favorite comment about the picture in that thread:

I hope I can teach my kids that standing up for what's right sometimes means standing alone, and that's ok.

cucucachu0000
09-10-2011, 11:22 AM
They love him cuz hannity limbaugh and levin hate him.

Karsten
09-10-2011, 11:27 AM
The title should say SOME liberals love Ron Paul, while SOME liberals hate him. It depends on where they put their emphasis. For some liberals, being anti-war and opposing the police state and the war on drugs is most important. These are the liberals who like him. For some liberals, supporting the welfare state is the most important part of being a liberal. These are the people, such as the New Republic crowd, who hate Ron Paul.