PDA

View Full Version : VP pick: Pat Buchanan?

nakor667
06-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Why not Pat Buchanan? Already Ron Paul supporter, rather well known, run for high office before, always on talk shows, and difficult to ignore or discredit.

Only problem would be that he might overshadow Ron Paul.

Thoughts?

astralspirit.blogspot.com

kylejack
06-13-2007, 08:41 PM
No. His comments on Israel and etc. are not a good complement to Dr. Paul as it would be nice to defuse the racism time-bomb. Walter Williams, maybe.

Quantumystic
06-13-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm leaning towards Chuck Hagel.

IMO, he brings more to the table. Perceived as strong on National Security, and bipartisanship.

Buchanan has been painted as "Touched by a Falwell/Robertson".

Obviously, I will support Dr. Paul pretty much whoever he chooses as a running-mate.

Just my two-cents worth.

austinphish
06-13-2007, 08:48 PM
i say someone who is way more inclusive than Buchanan. No Democrats would ever vote for him.

I say Gravel - I know they really don't mesh on all issues, but it would be an unstopable team.

kylejack
06-13-2007, 08:53 PM
i say someone who is way more inclusive than Buchanan. No Democrats would ever vote for him.

I say Gravel - I know they really don't mesh on all issues, but it would be an unstopable team.

No, Gravel would not work. We need someone who isn't seen as kooky as Ron by many.

LibertyEagle
06-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Walter Williams is my first pick. Then, maybe Judge Napolitano or Richard Viguerie. I like Pat, but he would be hung out to dry by the ADL. It wouldn't be right, but the smear would still stick, I'm afraid.

austinphish
06-13-2007, 08:57 PM
voice your pick, but right now I think Paul/Gravel is winning:

http://www.iowavotes2008.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=98

kylejack
06-13-2007, 08:58 PM
voice your pick, but right now I think Paul/Gravel is winning:

http://www.iowavotes2008.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=98

Okay, let me tell you how adamantly I oppose this pick. If Gravel is the vice, I will vote against Ron Paul in the General Election. Many people I know feel the same way. Ron Paul will never pick Gravel as a running mate, never ever.

TurtleBurger
06-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Maybe RP offers the job to Colbert tonight. :D

Seer
06-13-2007, 09:03 PM
1. Walter Williams
2. Andrew Napolitano
3. Bill Richardson (if any Dem is picked, it's this guy)

wecandoit
06-13-2007, 09:11 PM
I think it is interesting idea to pick a democrat. How many of you know that early on in our republic, the loser of the presidential race became the vice president? In would be good to the throwback idea of the restoring the republic theme. Not that
whoever lost to Paul should be VP, but someone of the other party, if there is someone compatiable enough.

tacitt
06-13-2007, 09:17 PM
There's no way in hell it would be Richardson, or some of the suggestions in other threads. I don't like the idea that some think he would pick someone based more on their ability to draw in a certain voting demographic than their ideas -- he's running on principles, strategic bullshit like that contradicts his campaign.

He hinted at Williams and Stossel in an interview. They seem like much more realistic choices.

angelatc
06-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Stossel is a reporter. He should not be the VP. He should be the Press Secretary or something.

I just started reading about Hagel, so I don't know yet. It's hard to find somebody who adheres to the rule of law as much as Paul does though.

Quantumystic
06-13-2007, 09:30 PM
There's no way in hell it would be Richardson, or some of the suggestions in other threads. I don't like the idea that some think he would pick someone based more on their ability to draw in a certain voting demographic than their ideas -- he's running on principles, strategic bullshit like that contradicts his campaign.

He hinted at Williams and Stossel in an interview. They seem like much more realistic choices.

In WHAT world?

I've never even heard of these people. And while I've been a Liberal Democrat for the last 27 yrs, I'm very political.

Ron Paul is enough of an "outsider". There's NEVER going to be a Libertarian Clean-Sweep. Period. THAT IS political suicide.

Dr. Paul's "sell" is hard enough. Saddling him with some completely-unknown-to-the-majority-of-the-American-Public "Veep" will kill the campaign.

Compromises WILL have to be made. And not necessarily for the worse. Hagel is a strong presense.

Korey Kaczynski
06-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Walter Williams is my first pick. Then, maybe Judge Napolitano or Richard Viguerie. I like Pat, but he would be hung out to dry by the ADL. It wouldn't be right, but the smear would still stick, I'm afraid.

For people so dead set against defamation, they don't seem to mind defaming others.

poppop_schell
06-13-2007, 09:41 PM
I think that Dennis Kucinich is also known as a straight shooter and agrees with Ron Paul on the war and Fair Trade.

angrydragon
06-13-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm sure Ron will pick the right person once he's nominated. Let's focus more of our energy elsewhere.

Quantumystic
06-13-2007, 09:44 PM
I think that Dennis Kucinich is also known as a straight shooter and agrees with Ron Paul on the war and Fair Trade.

He married his "daughter". He'd be ripped to shreds.

Dr. Paul doesn't ned that Baggage.

PaleoForPaul
06-13-2007, 10:19 PM
For people so dead set against defamation, they don't seem to mind defaming others.

It's not defamation, they did it to Buchanan the last time he ran. Buchanan would actually help Paul in the Primaries, Buchanan did well in 1992 and 1996. The two are close on foreign policy, and limited government, but far apart on free trade (although they both favor getting out of the WTO, NAFTA, etc).

The problem is Buchanan endured an amazing smear campaign in 1996, and the same old BS questions would be brought up again. On top of that, he was scared to death that he gave the election to Gore in 2000.

Out of the current field of Republicans, the best choice would probably be Tancredo, as he wants out of Iraq in the next 6-12 months.

An outsider would probably be best, one with a squeeky clean record. At some point they will try to tarnish Paul as a racist, anti-semite, or sexist since that is the M.O to get rid of a popular candidate.

Someone like Gravel wouldn't work, the last thing pro-Small government voters want is to be one heart attack away from a big government democrat being in office.

Seer
06-13-2007, 10:30 PM
I didn't pick Bill Richardson to appeal to demographics, I suggested him because he actually believes in the second amendment and believes that the free market is a good idea and that low taxes create growth. Of any Democrat, I'd probably call him the most libertarian friendly. Of course, he's far behind Walter Williams or Andrew Napolitano in my book. Andrew is good because he already has so many media ties.

mbn71
06-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Hagel, no question.

I don't agree with him on every domestic issues but his foreign policy is spot on (in my book) and if he were to team up with Ron Paul it would be a truly formidable force.

RP supporter from greater Boston

PineGroveDave
06-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Pat Buchanan, IMHO, would ruin any chance of Ron Paul winning. The man carries too much "baggage".

Nathan Hale
06-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Remember that credibility is key. Gravel is insane, so he's out. Kucinich is a fascist. Hagel is okay. Buchanan is less okay but tolerable. A big win would be former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson. Or perhaps former Minnesota governor Jesse Ventura.

Duckman
06-13-2007, 11:02 PM
Yes to Jesse Ventura, but no to Pat Buchanan. Admittedly, I don't think people hate him as much as they used to, but alot of people still hate him, worse I think than whatever Hillary may be dealing with...

Nash
06-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Yes to Jesse Ventura, but no to Pat Buchanan. Admittedly, I don't think people hate him as much as they used to, but alot of people still hate him, worse I think than whatever Hillary may be dealing with...

Agreed. Buchanan is totally awesome and also totally unelectable. It's not fair that he is perceived that way but as another poster said, he has "baggage". Also note that in a general election you want someone with cross-over appeal. Pat could help him win the republican primary, but not the general election.

Ventura would be a great pick. Experienced. Cross-Over Appeal. And his views, while not as "hard-line" as Paul's are right there with him. He doesn't like big government, reckless spending, the war in iraq, gun control or invasive big brother.

And yes I realize we're not there yet, but it's fun to think about.

LibertyEagle
06-13-2007, 11:10 PM
In WHAT world?

I've never even heard of these people. And while I've been a Liberal Democrat for the last 27 yrs, I'm very political.

Here's Walter Williams. He is quite well known in paleo-con circles. I read one of his books when I was in college.

http://www.townhall.com/Columnists/WalterEWilliams

Duckman
06-13-2007, 11:15 PM
I like Walter Williams but I also think he is kind of a 'pundit,' and I don't think that is a good combo for Ron Paul. Just IMO.

Nathan Hale
06-14-2007, 08:36 PM
Agreed. Walter Williams isn't in politics. We can't expect a novice to serve as a credible running mate.

legion
06-14-2007, 08:53 PM
penn gillette or doug motherfucking stanhope

ButchHowdy
06-14-2007, 09:03 PM
I love Buchanan but he rubs many people the wrong way, in other words, He's not as likable as Ron Paul.

I think Bill Richardson would be an excellent pick!

hambone1982
06-14-2007, 09:07 PM
IMO:
1. John Stossel
2. Pat Buchanan
3. Alan Keys
4. JC Watts
5. Larry Elder

(I think you see where I'm going with the last three).

ronpaulitician
06-14-2007, 09:10 PM
IMO:
1. John Stossel
2. Pat Buchanan
3. Alan Keys
4. JC Watts
5. Larry Elder

(I think you see where I'm going with the last three).

Larry Elder is a LONG way away from turning on the war in Iraq.

hambone1982
06-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Larry Elder is a LONG way away from turning on the war in Iraq.

I agree. That's why he was my last choice (and it was reaching).

Larry, like many, changed his entire outlook after 9/11. IMO, he let his once-clear-vision get clouded with hatred for "terrorist" and the need for revenge.

I used to love Larry. I still agree with him on many issues, but on the GWOT, I do not.

winston84
06-14-2007, 09:49 PM
I have been a fan of Pat Buchanan ever since reading his State of Emergency: The Third World Invasion and Conquest of America He is a staunch supporter of immigration control and represents more of the social conservative ideals that appeal to me, although I don't think that he would be successful.

Spirit of '76
06-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I love Pat, but I don't think he'd be the best choice of running mates in the general election.

Now as a Secretary of State... ;)

guntherg16
06-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Patrick J. Buchanan is a great man and a true American patriot. He is also a strong Constitutionalist. I truly hope he is Ron Paul's running mate.

As for Pat's negative public image, he was a victim of a massive smear campaign.

Read more about that here: http://www.jbs.org/node/1188

I fell for the smear. I regret that. If I had known what I know now about Pat Buchanan I would have supported him in his bids for the presidency. I do truly regret that.

The difference between then and now is the internet. Now people can educate themselves rather than waiting for the MSM to spread their propaganda.

literatim
06-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Patrick J. Buchanan is a great man and a true American patriot. He is also a strong Constitutionalist. I truly hope he is Ron Paul's running mate.

As for Pat's negative public image, he was a victim of a massive smear campaign.

Read more about that here: http://www.jbs.org/node/1188

I fell for the smear. I regret that. If I had known what I know now about Pat Buchanan I would have supported him in his bids for the presidency. I do truly regret that.

The difference between then and now is the internet. Now people can educate themselves rather than waiting for the MSM to spread their propaganda.

The same attacks will be be leveled against Ron Paul when he picks up New Hampshire.

ADGettis
06-15-2007, 12:59 AM
Or perhaps former Minnesota governor Jesse Ventura.

Speaking as a former Minnesotan from the Jesse Ventura days, NOOOOO!!!! Maybe he talks a good talk, but he is simply too irresponsible to be in an executive position. The reason current governor Pawlenty was elected is because he vowed to clean up Ventura's budgetary and managerial mess; the reason he was so popular for his first two years is because he succeeded, and ran things completely differently from how Ventura did.

I acknowledge that he is popular for his over-the-top personality, but if he were to become Dr. Paul's running mate, there will be millions of Minnesotans to vouch for his lack of fitness for office.

Considering Paul's rapid growth of late seems to be due to his ability to intelligently make an argument for his positions, I think a similarly thoughtful running mate would be the best way to add further support. Even though Williams would be unconventional, what about Paul is? For the most part, I think people would respect him even if they disagree with him, which is an excellent attribute if you want crossover appeal. Stossel, as hambone suggested, would also be a person many people would probably find thoughtful and trustworthy.

If a more experienced politician would be a more prudent choice (perhaps so), then what about Sen. Tom Coburn? He is probably the Senate's leading voice for constitutional spending, and is also an M.D.

Upon closer inspection, Coburn is a "stay the course"-er. Although I still like him on nearly all other counts, it would be nigh impossible for the two to reconcile such a major difference on one of the most important issues to many voters. Forget I suggested him!

Craig_R
06-15-2007, 02:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z4ZFXg_D7E

foofighter20x
06-15-2007, 03:17 AM
Guys! Two things to remember when selecting a vice president:

1) Balance the Ticket.
2) Don't pick someone who people would be willing to "replace you" with.

LibertyEagle
06-15-2007, 08:56 AM
"Don't pick someone who people would be willing to "replace you" with."

I wonder if that's why Cheney was chosen as the V.P.?

Craig_R
06-15-2007, 09:20 AM
I wonder if that's why Cheney was chosen as the V.P.?

I think cheney chose bush, you know bush isnt capable of running anything.

guntherg16
06-15-2007, 09:26 AM
The same attacks will be be leveled against Ron Paul when he picks up New Hampshire.

I agree. The difference now though is the internet.

RonPaul4President
06-15-2007, 09:31 AM
I think Bill Richardson would be an excellent pick!

There are seviral latino TV stations here in Las Vegas. Bill Richardson was on one a couple days ago talking in Spanish about his run for president. There is something very wrong about that. It seems sleazy and racist to me. For this very reason a foreign nationalist should NEVER be in congress. I consider any senator that speaks in a foreign tongue, to foreign nationailsts that do not want to assimilate, a traitor and an opportunist. For a Senator, as a Senator, to speak in Spanish while campaigning is disgusting to me. It is a vile, dishonorable and contempuous act. It reflects an ill character and a lack of integrity.