PDA

View Full Version : FL-Cops, after being warned about big dog in the yard, enter and shoot family dog dead.

Anti Federalist
09-09-2011, 12:58 PM
So the cops show up to investigate a burglar alarm call, are warned by a neighbor about a big family dog in the neighbor's yard, cops disregard those warnings, bark at the Mundane to get back in his house, enter the back yard and shoot the family dog dead.

Don't call the cops and don't have machines that call the cops.

Picture of dead dog in his closed in yard at link.

Owners Angry After Cops Shoot Dog in Backyard

Ozzy was a 140-pound Rottweiler

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Owners-Angry-After-Cops-Shoot-Dog-129538398.html

By Todd Wright
Friday, Sep 9, 2011
Updated 1:32 PM EDT

A mother and daughter are livid after a Miami-Dade police officer shot and killed their pet dog despite warnings not to go on the property.

Police were responding to a burglar alarm at the home near Hialeah when the incident occurred, Det. Edna Del Castillo said.

Ozzy, a 140-pound Rottweiler, was in the backyard of the house.

"He wouldn't hurt anyone. He just looks big," said Laura Samuelson, who has owned Ozzy for three years. "All he would do is lick you to death. They were laughing about it."

Del Castillo said the dog charged the officers, who entered the backyard to investigate the house. Then the dog was shot, she said.

The shooting is being looked into but officers are instructed not to go into a backyard if they are warned about a dog, she said.

"If there is a dog, they are not going to enter," Del Castillo said.

But Samuelson's neighbor, Fernando Perez, said he told the cops several times that Ozzy was roaming in the back.

When the security alarm system at the home went off, Samuelson called Perez to check it out while she made the 20-minute drive to her house, he said.

Perez said he knew not to go into the backyard because of the dog and when officers arrived, he warned them.

"'Be careful. It’s a big dog,' I told them. They told me to go back to my house," said Perez, who repeated the warning several more times. "Before I get to my driveway, I hear the two shots. They walked into the backyard with the guns in their hand. Then they ran from the backyard like they were scared or something."

Samuelson said she got Ozzy to protect the house and deter thieves. Police have not said what triggered the alarm.

"He was our protector," Samuelson said. "He’s a huge part of our family."

Anti Federalist
09-09-2011, 05:04 PM
///

ETA - "Maybe everybody is getting jaded" bump.

flightlesskiwi
09-09-2011, 05:28 PM
don't have machines that call the cops.

this is an important point. my neighbor's alarm system went off (was on silent), she was unaware because she was in the yard with her kids and didn't have her phone when the alarm company called. anyway, per protocol, a cop (female) gets dispatched and makes her way (through my neighbor's closed fence door) into my neighbor's back yard. all in the name of "investigating".

it's probably a very good thing they didn't have a dog.

CaptainAmerica
09-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Well when you have a "burglar " alarm that calls more strangers to show up when you aren't home, you are obviously self defeating.

heavenlyboy34
09-09-2011, 05:40 PM
The cops even knew ahead of time about the dog, and still were stupid enough to go in. Sounds like a crime to me.
When the security alarm system at the home went off, Samuelson called Perez to check it out while she made the 20-minute drive to her house, he said. Perez said he knew not to go into the backyard because of the dog and when officers arrived, he warned them.

"'Be careful. It’s a big dog,' I told them. They told me to go back to my house," said Perez, who repeated the warning several more times. "Before I get to my driveway, I hear the two shots. They walked into the backyard with the guns in their hand. Then they ran from the backyard like they were scared or something."

Wesker1982
09-09-2011, 06:07 PM
these are bad times to have a Great Dane :(

Rael
09-09-2011, 06:31 PM
wtf???? :mad:

Napolitanic Wars
09-09-2011, 06:59 PM
///

No, just depressed.

Diurdi
09-09-2011, 07:18 PM
The War on Dogs.

Anti Federalist
09-09-2011, 11:55 PM
One last morning crew bump

Salvial
09-10-2011, 12:10 AM
Awful stuff. Absolutely senseless. :(

flightlesskiwi
09-10-2011, 08:09 AM
///

Kylie
09-10-2011, 08:12 AM
The War on Dogs.

Sure looks that way.

I am not looking forward to the day when they tire of shooting our dogs, since the next moving targets will probably be us.

james1906
09-10-2011, 10:08 AM
The dog probably tripped the alarm. If you have a big rottie, why the fuck do you need an alarm? Dumb move on the part of the cops. If they were meter readers, they'd get disciplined and they wouldn't have shot the dog.

pcosmar
09-10-2011, 10:33 AM
I am actually surprised that more kids haven't been shot. Cops have gotten lucky so far.
It is only a matter of time before stray rounds find an unfortunate target.

TomtheTinker
09-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Fill in the blank.

Save a dog shoot a ___.

Philhelm
09-10-2011, 11:24 AM
///

At this point, I'm just rubied.

MikeStanart
09-10-2011, 11:40 AM
The only burglar here was the men and women in blue.

Anti Federalist
09-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Bump, because this was a particularly bad incident.

lkwando
09-15-2011, 02:04 AM
The dog probably tripped the alarm. If you have a big rottie, why the fuck do you need an alarm? Dumb move on the part of the cops. If they were meter readers, they'd get disciplined and they wouldn't have shot the dog.

Dog def did not trip alarm. (assume= Ass u me ) People also have front entrances to their homes requiring an alarm, after all t
his was a pet not a trained guard dog!

BamaAla
09-15-2011, 05:16 AM
these are bad times to have a Great Dane :(

Prometheus says "don't shoot officer; I'm unarmed!"

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5190/5634528456_ae7736c661.jpg

The facebook comments on the OP are encouraging. It seems that people are stating to realize that their cops are really the bad guys.

Carole
09-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Prometheus says "don't shoot officer; I'm unarmed!"

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5190/5634528456_ae7736c661.jpg

The facebook comments on the OP are encouraging. It seems that people are stating to realize that their cops are really the bad guys.

Wonderful photo. :D

Maybe they are picking the bottom of the barrell when choosing whom to hire as cops, then they get a God complex.

Czolgosz
09-15-2011, 11:07 AM
If your dog doesn't comply w/ the Officer's order, well... you know.

edit: forgot to add

Was the dog legal?

*all satire, in case some of you pucker butts think I'm serious.

DamianTV
09-15-2011, 03:17 PM
///

Not really, its the first time I've seen this story.

Apparently the powers that be dont want us to own Guns or Dogs because it makes us rely completely on Police as our ONLY Protection from Criminals and Thieves. It will be a very sad day in America when owning a Dog becomes as regulated as owning a Gun.