PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Emerges as Formidable GOP Presidential Contender

tangent4ronpaul
09-09-2011, 11:17 AM
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/211222/20110909/ron-paul-republican-gop-presidential-race-contender-rick-perry-sarah-palin-mitt-romney.htm

Something interesting happened in that moment during the Republican presidential debate when Texas Governor and GOP front-runner Rick Perry turned to Ron Paul during a break, continuing a spirited exchange while physically grabbing him and pointing an index finger toward Paul's face.

Perry showed America that Ron Paul is a legitimate contender and force to be reckoned with in the Republican presidential race. Already, Paul had a second-place showing in the Iowa straw poll, but since Perry announced his candidacy and as other talk has been focused on whether or not Sarah Palin will run, Paul had gotten lost on the media shuffle.

But not only did Paul grab a win in a subsequent MSNBC debate poll after the event, as votes from his passionate supporters and others poured in giving Paul a quick 50 percent positive response ahead of Mitt Romney (17 percent) and Perry (14 percent), but Paul continued throughout the next day to emerge on the Internet as a victor.

A picture from the debate showing the episode in which Perry turned to Paul during the break lit up media sites, and the talk began to shift from that debate moment to what Paul stands for and is running for in his presidential bid. Almost overnight, the Texas House Republican became a formidable candidate in the GOP presidential nomination race.

sailingaway
09-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Damned straight he does....

...thanks for posting....

trey4sports
09-09-2011, 11:20 AM
wow, a positive article? What a rarity.

IndianaPolitico
09-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Nice, thank you Rick Perry!

bluesc
09-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Quite a few positive articles coming out today. All a result of the debate.

GIVE. ME. POLLS.

Ethan
09-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Wow that's what, the third positive Ron Paul article on IBT in as many days, we must have swung someone big!
Maybe the revolution will be televised after all!

ninepointfive
09-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Yes, it clearly demonstrates Perry sees Ron as a threat.

Josalyn
09-09-2011, 12:02 PM
I think Ron ha swagger like John Wayne.

I'm so very glad to see a positive article about Ron Paul being a serious GOP candidate. I hope Sarah Palin doesn't run. If she really cares for the country, she won't.

You know, maybe we should all email Jon Stewert to make a segment dealing with Rick Perry trying to bully, Ron? That would be the only television show to speak about it.

sickmint79
09-09-2011, 12:04 PM
hopefully these poll numbers translate into votes, really hoping for a win in new hampshire!

sevin
09-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Great article!

georgiaboy
09-09-2011, 12:08 PM
that's one bang-up article there. Wow!

But he's got something that grabs in this race, and it got noticed in the debate.

Paul showed he isn't afraid to go after front-runner Perry, who hails from the same state and shares the same political party. Paul and Perry are quite different, however, as Paul points out. Before the debate, for instance, Paul's campaign sent an open-letter to Perry, criticizing the Texas governor's record.

In an open-letter to Perry before the debate, Paul's Campaign Chairman Jesse Benton slammed Perry's record as Governor of Texas. "We don't think the fact that you used to be a Democrat is the big problem here. The real problem is that, too often, you still act like one," Paul's campaign said.

The letter undoubtedly fueled Perry's aggressive move during the debate, but it was Paul who clearly emerged as the winner from the aggressive move.

AdamT
09-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Shared!

anaconda
09-09-2011, 12:38 PM
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/211222/20110909/ron-paul-republican-gop-presidential-race-contender-rick-perry-sarah-palin-mitt-romney.htm

Something interesting happened in that moment during the Republican presidential debate when Texas Governor and GOP front-runner Rick Perry turned to Ron Paul during a break, continuing a spirited exchange while physically grabbing him and pointing an index finger toward Paul's face.

Perry showed America that Ron Paul is a legitimate contender and force to be reckoned with in the Republican presidential race. Already, Paul had a second-place showing in the Iowa straw poll, but since Perry announced his candidacy and as other talk has been focused on whether or not Sarah Palin will run, Paul had gotten lost on the media shuffle.

But not only did Paul grab a win in a subsequent MSNBC debate poll after the event, as votes from his passionate supporters and others poured in giving Paul a quick 50 percent positive response ahead of Mitt Romney (17 percent) and Perry (14 percent), but Paul continued throughout the next day to emerge on the Internet as a victor.

A picture from the debate showing the episode in which Perry turned to Paul during the break lit up media sites, and the talk began to shift from that debate moment to what Paul stands for and is running for in his presidential bid. Almost overnight, the Texas House Republican became a formidable candidate in the GOP presidential nomination race.

You may very well be right, but I'm not comfortable with the evidence. Dr. Paul "won" all of the debates in 2007-08. Rand said on Hannity that it was a friendly conversation. But the photo images may stick as something different.

Philadelphia76
09-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Wow that's what, the third positive Ron Paul article on IBT in as many days, we must have swung someone big!Maybe the revolution will be televised after all!

Perhaps. I'm no expert on the IBT's political persuaisons (though I'm sure we can probably guess)- but it's more likely IMHO though that the "International Business Times" is using this Paul-Perry dust-up to discredit Perry for the benefit of Romney. Obviously- over the short term- we're fine with that- but I'd be quite surprised if an IBT big shot has decided to "join the revolution"...

bluesc
09-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Perhaps. I'm no expert on the IBT's political persuaisons (though I'm sure we can probably guess)- but it's more likely IMHO though that the "International Business Times" is using this Paul-Perry dust-up to discredit Perry for the benefit of Romney. Obviously- over the short term- we're fine with that- but I'd be quite surprised if an IBT big shot has decided to "join the revolution"...

Perry down is good for us either way. Romney will not win Iowa. If Ron wins Iowa, NH comes into play which screws with Romney. If he doesn't win NH, will his polling numbers convert to victories? I think not.

Anyone who is pushing Romney over Perry is good for us right now IMO.

Philadelphia76
09-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Perry down is good for us either way. Romney will not win Iowa. If Ron wins Iowa, NH comes into play which screws with Romney. If he doesn't win NH, will his polling numbers convert to victories? I think not.

Anyone who is pushing Romney over Perry is good for us right now IMO.

Oh absolutely. I agree. Perry is a big vacuum sitting in the middle of the party currently sucking up: (1) "mainstream/security" Republicans away from Romney; and (2) Tea Party/conservative GOP'ers away from Paul. It's a bit of an "unholy" alliance given the radically diverget views Romney and Dr. Paul hold on many issues (particularly foreign policy and monetary policy)- but we both clearly benefit from getting Perry out of the equation as he seems to have a lot of folks fooled into believing that he's "the best" of Romney and Paul melded into one.

bluesc
09-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Oh absolutely. I agree. Perry is a big vacuum sitting in the middle of the party currently sucking up: (1) "mainstream/security" Republicans away from Romney; and (2) Tea Party/conservative GOP'ers away from Paul. It's a bit of an "unholy" alliance given the radically diverget views Romney and Dr. Paul hold on many issues (particularly foreign policy and monetary policy)- but we both clearly benefit from getting Perry out of the equation as he seems to have a lot of folks fooled into believing that he's "the best" of Romney and Paul melded into one.

Romney would absolutely stand to gain a lot with the fall of Perry, but if Ron is the one to make Perry drop, I believe we will pick up most of the ex-Bachmann supporters that went to him, which is a significant number. That would likely make it an open, undeniable 3-way race, 'cause Perry is never going to disappear completely.

Of course, people can write me off as overly optimistic, but I'm liking our chances more and more. The only problem is that Romney is likely to gain more than Ron. Better than Perry though. IOWA!

Travlyr
09-09-2011, 03:00 PM

Rick Perry exposed us as the individual liberty loving people that we are. Nice work... + rep