PDA

View Full Version : Jon Stewart gives props to Dr. Paul

Gumba of Liberty
09-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Tonight Jon Stewart mentioned the other candidates in the debate and then he turned his attention to Ron Paul. He started off by saying that Ron Paul knew he would not have much time in the debate but he did use it to share some new ideas. Stewart cut to a clip of Ron Paul's talking points and said, "You know what, I'm not saying Ron Paul should be in power but he should be our idea guy. We need him in a the debate." Afterward he compared him to Kramer from Seinfeld but it was friendly. It's a must see.

AJ187
09-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Sounds good to me. I can't wait for the Tube!!!!!!!!!!

nobody's_hero
09-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Stewart has nothing to worry about from Ron. If Ron ever makes it "into power", he won't use it.

"I don't want to be president to run your lives." - Ron Paul

Kludge
09-08-2011, 09:26 PM
I've seen Stewart's attack on MSM for excluding Paul pop up quite a few times online in places I didn't expect to see it. He gets Paul a lot of decent press, ally or enemy.

zacharyrow
09-08-2011, 11:12 PM
I didn't take it as "giving props" he kind of just said he has a lot of interesting ideas, but he should not be president.

He said, "Look, I don't know if he should be president or have any power but..." then went on to the Seinfeld clip, comparing him to Kramer. We all know Kramer was kind of loony and that is how Stewart made Ron out to be. Which is fine, he has to make fun of everyone. At least he did it in a humorous way.

hazek
09-09-2011, 04:59 AM
ally or enemy.

Opportunist making fun of the absurdity of it all. Do not mistake him for a friend because he is not.

Napoleon's Shadow
09-09-2011, 07:55 AM
Remember, very few likely Republican voters watch the Daily Show.

FreeTraveler
09-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Yeah, and we don't need any votes from them durned moderates or liberals. We can do it all on our own! :rolleyes:

sickmint79
09-09-2011, 08:39 AM
it's great that stewart is really giving him a fair shake this time around.

V3n
09-09-2011, 08:44 AM

You're right.
We should probably call Jon Stewart and ask him to stop speaking kindly of Dr. Paul.

We should also notify the campaign not to let Dr. Paul go on his show on the 26th.

Napoleon's Shadow
09-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Yeah, and we don't need any votes from them durned moderates or liberals. We can do it all on our own! :rolleyes:Likely Republican voters are who we must win for Ron to achieve electoral victory.

TCE
09-09-2011, 11:16 AM

It's true. While it's nice that Jon Stewart speaks nicely of Ron, I would guess that less than 10% of his viewing audience is registered Republican. If they're all Democrats, it doesn't matter.

Free Traveler: We do need those people, but we need them to be registered Republican. If they like Dr. Paul but are registered Democrat and/or don't vote, it doesn't mean anything.

V3N: Napoleon was only throwing out that reality check. We can't expect free press from Jon Stewart to help us move the needle very much.

jmdrake
09-09-2011, 11:31 AM
It's true. While it's nice that Jon Stewart speaks nicely of Ron, I would guess that less than 10% of his viewing audience is registered Republican. If they're all Democrats, it doesn't matter.

Free Traveler: We do need those people, but we need them to be registered Republican. If they like Dr. Paul but are registered Democrat and/or don't vote, it doesn't mean anything.

It depends on the state. Where I live (Tennessee) all you have to do is to ask for a republican or democratic ballot. Since there's no reason to ask for a republican ballot this time.....

V3N: Napoleon was only throwing out that reality check. We can't expect free press from Jon Stewart to help us move the needle very much.

It's pretty much a pointless "reality check". Nobody was saying "Hey! Let's all try to get Ron Paul to go on the Daily Show!". My understanding is that Ron is going on the Daily Show. If N.S. is so concerned about not "wasting time" with people like Jon Stewart he should be directing that to the campaign. Posts on a forum have nothing to do with the campaign. It's not like likely republican voters are going to read this forum and say "OMG! Ron Paul supporters are saying something positive about Jon Stewart saying something positive about Ron Paul". Really, we need a ban on cat herding.

Brian4Liberty
09-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Dup thread:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?314537-John-Stewart-defends-Ron-Paul-on-border-comment

Brian4Liberty
09-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Sorry, but I saw it and he wasn't defending him.

He took most of the clips he shown from the debate last night out of context, then called Paul "American's Kramer" - Kramer being the crazy guy.

I'm actual surprised since Paul is schedule as a guest this month.

and btw guys, he did not defend Ron. I just watched it, he was mocking him. When he played a quick clip of Ron's answers, he made him look crazy, especially on the border comment.

Absolutely none. He called out the media for ignoring him, and all of a sudden he is a supporter.

Agree with the above. Stewart and his writers and producers may be against the wars (including the war on drugs), and they may criticize others in the media, but that does not make them fans of or supporters of Ron.

TCE
09-09-2011, 11:48 AM
It depends on the state. Where I live (Tennessee) all you have to do is to ask for a republican or democratic ballot. Since there's no reason to ask for a republican ballot this time.....

It's pretty much a pointless "reality check". Nobody was saying "Hey! Let's all try to get Ron Paul to go on the Daily Show!". My understanding is that Ron is going on the Daily Show. If N.S. is so concerned about not "wasting time" with people like Jon Stewart he should be directing that to the campaign. Posts on a forum have nothing to do with the campaign. It's not like likely republican voters are going to read this forum and say "OMG! Ron Paul supporters are saying something positive about Jon Stewart saying something positive about Ron Paul". Really, we need a ban on cat herding.

Realistically, how many of them do you think will vote Republican in the primary and/or general election? I believe very few will.

You can definitely argue it was, I, however, got a +Rep from V3N, so it was worth it on my end. ;). Seriously, though, Ron going on The Daily Show is fine but I agree with Napoleon that at the end of the day, all the press in the world from Jon Stewart isn't going to matter much. It would be like if The Daily Kos started mysteriously supporting Ron all of a sudden. It would be nice, but wouldn't matter because how many GOP voters read The Daily Kos?

This forum as a collective is like a rabid sportsfan and our team is Ron Paul. Ron is criticized for every little thing and when something great happens, RPF's is like a New Year's Celebration. I subscribe to the Bill Belichick school: The highs are never as good as you think and the lows are never as bad as they seem.

tangent4ronpaul
09-09-2011, 11:56 AM
As a reminder Stewart is the person responsible for ending the media blackout for calling them out on it:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?309401-VIDEO-*EPIC*-Jon-Stewart-Defense-of-Ron-Paul-Attacks-MSM-Anti-Paul-Bias

beyond that I'd like to remind people that it's not repub vs dem - there is a third group that has an equil share : INDEPENDENTS! - and they do vote in primaries and swing elections. They also watch the Daily Show.

-t

KingRobbStark
09-09-2011, 11:57 AM
I guess my signature is still valid...for now.

TCE
09-09-2011, 11:59 AM

That it is.

Brian4Liberty
09-09-2011, 12:02 PM

Nothing wrong with liking Jon Stewart and his show. Just be aware that it doesn't mean that Jon Stewart likes you or the things that you like. ;)

jmdrake
09-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Realistically, how many of them do you think will vote Republican in the primary and/or general election? I believe very few will.

Around here I've got about as much of a chance with them as I do with "likely republican voters". Trust me. I've been on the ground. Or don't trust me. I don't give a crap. If you think you and N.S. spouting "words of wisdom" at RPF really do crap to get Ron elected...well think again. Most of us already know we've got to do the door knocking and crap. Most of us would be thrilled if the campaign actually rolled out the precinct captain program again. You should be complaining to them rather than trying to pour could water on someone being happy that someone in the MSM is actually being nice. Is that really to much to ask?

You can definitely argue it was, I, however, got a +Rep from V3N, so it was worth it on my end. ;).

:rolleyes: Good for you. If you could only cash in +reps for votes....

Seriously, though, Ron going on The Daily Show is fine but I agree with Napoleon that at the end of the day, all the press in the world from Jon Stewart isn't going to matter much. It would be like if The Daily Kos started mysteriously supporting Ron all of a sudden. It would be nice, but wouldn't matter because how many GOP voters read The Daily Kos?

Okay. Not to be a smartass but....can you read? Seriously? Where did I say anything like that? Really, what is your point? If you want last word you can have it because this is a pointless conversation. If you and N.S. want to waste time like this go right ahead.

This forum as a collective is like a rabid sportsfan and our team is Ron Paul. Ron is criticized for every little thing and when something great happens, RPF's is like a New Year's Celebration. I subscribe to the Bill Belichick school: The highs are never as good as you think and the lows are never as bad as they seem.

Ummmm....okay. Not at all sure what that has to do with someone being positive about a Jon Stewart comment. Not sure at all.

Last point. Without Jon Stewart's "Why is Ron Paul being ignored by the media" rant we'd be a lot further behind with democrats and "likely republican voters". Enough with the cat herding.

Napoleon's Shadow
09-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Most of us already know we've got to do the door knocking and crap. Most of us would be thrilled if the campaign actually rolled out the precinct captain program again. Why wait on the campaign? Why not organize your local precincts on your own?

V3n
09-09-2011, 12:28 PM
:rolleyes: Good for you. If you could only cash in +reps for votes....

You almost got a +rep too, I liked what you said, but your tone seemed a little harsh. ;)

The comment to TCE on the +rep was that I appreciated them re-phrasing or giving context to what Napoleon's Shadow's comment meant. I originally took it as 'Daily Show watchers won't vote, so forget the whole thing' which motivated my sarcastic response. In the context of 'ok, this is cool, but don't expect a lot of outcome' - yeah, I can see that. I've got no more beef with anyone on this thread, and would like to withdraw my name from this conversation.

:) -smiley so you all know we're all good.