PDA

View Full Version : A good story to illustrate Ron's "fence to keep us in" comment

ronpaulitician
09-08-2011, 09:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9ArxnkWck0

The cops get to keep a cut of the seized "drug" money for their departments if the legal (?) owners of the money don't come to claim it.

Even those that agree with the war on drugs might scratch their head once or twice when they see the bit right after 3:20.

Everything is paid through seizures and fines.

-So if these officers out on the interstate don't come up with cash, then they might lose their jobs.

Well, it's a possibility, yes.

And then the bit that follows that.

The drugs come in from Mexico on the eastbound side, but the money goes back on the west.

And then the money quote at 3:53.

A review of daily activities sheets kept by the 23rd, discovered that when officers noted the locations of their traffic stops, there were ten times as many on the money side.

sevin
09-08-2011, 09:36 PM
It's a fucked up system when police profit from the very crimes they claim to fight.

Eric21ND
09-08-2011, 11:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nch5MbnvTqY

TheTexan
09-08-2011, 11:49 PM
It's a fucked up system when police profit from the very crimes they claim to fight.

Strangely enough, I'm actually fine with that, in principle. If the police were to take down a bad guy, and the bad guy is charged and convicted of a crime, and the money was a direct result of the bad guy's crimes, and there isn't a legitimate owner to return it to, the cops can keep it - that's fine.

What I'm not fine with is taking people's property without due process.

I'm also not fine with the drug war itself, but that's another issue entirely. This is about property rights violations imo.

AFPVet
09-08-2011, 11:54 PM
It's a bigger mob taking cuts from smaller operations and arresting those who don't pay their protection money. Seriously, how the hell can the public be so oblivious? Freaking multiple departments wanting their cut.... Like well funded, equipped gangs.... I wore a flecking badge dammit... these people over the years have made a MOCKERY of peace officers!

sevin
09-09-2011, 06:58 AM
Strangely enough, I'm actually fine with that, in principle. If the police were to take down a bad guy, and the bad guy is charged and convicted of a crime, and the money was a direct result of the bad guy's crimes, and there isn't a legitimate owner to return it to, the cops can keep it - that's fine.

But in this case, the police are just taking a cut of the drug trade. The drug dealers just charge addicts more so they can afford to handle the losses to the police.

Bruno
09-09-2011, 07:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nch5MbnvTqY

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Eric21ND again.

PastaRocket848
09-09-2011, 07:13 AM
please, please please just let this comment fall into the annals of history and be forgotten. no spin, no "but this is...", just let it go. the campaign will be better off for it.