PDA

View Full Version : Win32 compiler

mdh
06-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Is anyone here capable of compiling, configuring, and packaging some software for Windows from source code? This is for a Ron Paul related project. Of course it would be expected that you just compile/configure/package what you're given and not add spyware/etc to it. Please let me know if this would be possible. Thanks!

Quantumystic
06-13-2007, 06:28 PM
This being written in C/C++?

mdh
06-13-2007, 07:14 PM
This being written in C/C++?

Yes, and uses GTK+, which would probably need to be compiled in staticly so that people don't have to have a seperate download or whatever.

Exponent
06-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Just out of curiousity, have you been working exclusively with Linux or something?

I have Visual Studio 2005 Standard. I would probably be able to get all the GTK+ library stuff needed, though I've never used it (in programming projects) before, so it might take a short effort of learning how to set it all up.

I can't get to it immediately, but I probably could over the weekend. Are you looking for just the resulting exe/dll or whatever, or a whole install package? (I don't have anything for the install package, though I suppose I could find a few free ones, NullSoft's maybe?)

mdh
06-13-2007, 07:50 PM
I run FreeBSD, Linux, and Solaris at home, and pretty much an all-Sun shop at work, so I don't have access to any Windows computers with compilers, or the knowledge of Windows to produce something good. Keep in mind it needs an installer too, not just a compile, so someone who can make MSI's or whatever they use...
What I'm looking for is someone to create an xchat build with SSL and Socks5 support specifically to connect via SSL to a Ron Paul IRC chat. The socks5 support is for the optional use of Tor.
So packaged with configurations and such that will connect to the server, auto-join the #ronpaul channel, etc etc. Preferably also remove the other networks etc so as not to confuse people with a bunch of crud they've never heard of before or where little old ladies may, well, you know how some places on IRC can be. Something little-old-lady friendly is what we need.
The server is irc.ronpaul.name, SSL via TCP port 6697, and channel #ronpaul.

torchbearer
06-13-2007, 07:56 PM
That is an awesome idea. a self-install chat-line to a ron paul irc chatroom. a Ron Paul IM service.

Quantumystic
06-13-2007, 08:48 PM
I run FreeBSD, Linux, and Solaris at home, and pretty much an all-Sun shop at work, so I don't have access to any Windows computers with compilers, or the knowledge of Windows to produce something good. Keep in mind it needs an installer too, not just a compile, so someone who can make MSI's or whatever they use...
What I'm looking for is someone to create an xchat build with SSL and Socks5 support specifically to connect via SSL to a Ron Paul IRC chat. The socks5 support is for the optional use of Tor.
So packaged with configurations and such that will connect to the server, auto-join the #ronpaul channel, etc etc. Preferably also remove the other networks etc so as not to confuse people with a bunch of crud they've never heard of before or where little old ladies may, well, you know how some places on IRC can be. Something little-old-lady friendly is what we need.

Ah...

Sorry. Beyond my skills in this application.

Exponent
06-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Ah...

Sorry. Beyond my skills in this application.
Same here, unfortunately. Deals with a lot of stuff that have hardly ever touched. If you can't find anyone else, I may reconsider later, though.

One important question: Have you already, or could you, implement this on one of the platforms you do use? Would most of the work be non-coding? Just setting up the compiler and libraries, configuration files, and install package? Or would there be a decent amount of coding involve? If it is the former, then it may be closer to within my grasp.

mdh
06-13-2007, 10:00 PM
No coding is required at all, it's just a matter of actually compiling the windows source code to binaries with GTK+ static, and SSL and Socks5 support, then modifying the configuration (easy), and making a self-installer package of some sort...
Not any real programming. The configuration part won't be tough, just start it up and setup the config I outlined for server/port/channel/etc and use the files that generates in the package.

Exponent
06-13-2007, 10:05 PM
I'll get back to you on this then within the week, when I have more time. At the moment I'm working a bunch on my video-packed CDs.

mdh
06-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Sweetness!
If you want to play with it, you can get the source code. The official build is not free, but if you build it yourself or use a third-party build, it is free, because the source code is GPL'd.

slantedview
06-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Is the goal of the application to run on windows as a standalone? I'd think a Java applet would be nicer so nobody would need to download/install anything, they could just hit up a web page (most people should have the Java runtime environment installed already). I know there are plenty of free java IRC client libraries/applets out there, and it would be easy to tweak one if needed since the IRC protocol is pretty simple. We'd just need someone to host the applet.

torchbearer
06-13-2007, 10:38 PM
i may have a place to host it on my labels website.

mdh
06-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Web hosting isn't a problem, I have several servers around the world that I'm using for these projects. If you know of a good java applet that does SSL IRC, please let me know, I'd be down for that. I'd still really like an xchat build though for Tor users.

CJLauderdale4
06-13-2007, 10:51 PM
what GTK+ version are you using....
I may be able to help with this..

Brandybuck
06-13-2007, 10:53 PM
I can build the app for you. Contact me via email from my profile. Give me details on the dependencies. Build info, any VS/VC++ project files, etc. Where to download from, where to upload to. Also note that I am not signing up to do any sort of support.

mdh
06-13-2007, 11:36 PM
Hiya Brandybuck! I don't see an email address in your profile, and the 'contact this user by email' link says that you've chosen not to receive email in your preferences.

Here's the info...

* XChat source code is at http://www.xchat.org/files/source/2.8/xchat-2.8.2.tar.bz2
* OpenSSL is at www.openssl.org (library you might need? not sure if it can use windows' native SSL libs or if it wants openssl...)
* You can use whatever GTK+ version works (I seriously know very little about windows, or what versions are best on it - you almost certainly can decide this better than I can)

That should be it. Thanks!

mdh
06-14-2007, 05:05 PM
*shameless bump* Anyone taken a crack at this? :)

Brandybuck
06-14-2007, 08:17 PM
I sent you a private email. If it doesn't come through, leave me a private forum message (I know that works at least).

LeFou
06-14-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm not real facile with this, but from what you're describing why isn't C# on Mono under consideration? If it's basic IRC stuff, the subset of .NET that has been implemented in Mono so far is probably enough?

mdh
06-15-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm not real facile with this, but from what you're describing why isn't C# on Mono under consideration? If it's basic IRC stuff, the subset of .NET that has been implemented in Mono so far is probably enough?

Because I didn't write xchat, and it's an existing codebase in C. There's no need to re-invent the wheel that is an IRC client when xchat works really well and supports all of the stuff I feel to be important. If you're down with writing another IRC client and get it working, I'm more than happy to make it recognized for this project, but until then xchat works great.

slantedview
06-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Web hosting isn't a problem, I have several servers around the world that I'm using for these projects. If you know of a good java applet that does SSL IRC, please let me know, I'd be down for that. I'd still really like an xchat build though for Tor users.

I did some poking around and found what looks like a pretty nice client:

http://www.pjirc.com

There's an SSL "plugin"

http://forum.pjirc.com/viewtopic.php?p=10854#10854
http://www.pjirc.com/admin/file.php?id=192

The interface looks similar to a typical IRC client where all of the server messages are displayed in a server window and channels open in additional windows. I think this is pretty similar to xchat.

mdh
06-15-2007, 10:48 AM
I did some poking around and found what looks like a pretty nice client:

http://www.pjirc.com

There's an SSL "plugin"

http://forum.pjirc.com/viewtopic.php?p=10854#10854
http://www.pjirc.com/admin/file.php?id=192

The interface looks similar to a typical IRC client where all of the server messages are displayed in a server window and channels open in additional windows. I think this is pretty similar to xchat.

The last release was in 2004... looks defunct, sadly. :(
Plus the releases are "binaries only" which means I have no way to validate personally that they do not do anything other than that which is advertised. I like to be able to do that before I tell folks they should use something, or stick my own stamp of approval on it. There are people who, for whatever whacky reason, feel my word/approval of something has some value, and I take that responsibility very seriously as an information security guy. That said, java is somewhat restricted, so I'll check it out as a possible web-based option, but I think the xchat thing is still the better choice for a few reasons.

slantedview
06-15-2007, 10:51 AM
The last release was in 2004... looks defunct, sadly. :(
Plus the releases are "binaries only" which means I have no way to validate personally that they do not do anything other than that which is advertised. I like to be able to do that before I tell folks they should use something, or stick my own stamp of approval on it. There are people who, for whatever whacky reason, feel my word/approval of something has some value, and I take that responsibility very seriously as an information security guy. That said, java is somewhat restricted, so I'll check it out as a possible web-based option, but I think the xchat thing is still the better choice for a few reasons.

I think it's pretty mature, which may be why there have been no recent releases. Source is here:

http://www.pjirc.com/downloads.php?p=0&c=4

Brandybuck
06-16-2007, 12:57 AM
GTK+ looks like a total mess under Windows. This is going to take longer than I realized.

But I must comment: All you want is to change the default configuration (removing all default irc servers, and adding in one ronpaul server). Rebuilding the app and all the myriad dependencies is an awful lot of work. Wouldn't it be just as easy to send along a note on how to add the ron paul irc server? That's one line to edit in the configuration that pops up the first time you use it.

torchbearer
06-16-2007, 07:06 AM
will it run on XP x64?

mdh
06-16-2007, 11:18 AM
GTK+ looks like a total mess under Windows. This is going to take longer than I realized.

But I must comment: All you want is to change the default configuration (removing all default irc servers, and adding in one ronpaul server). Rebuilding the app and all the myriad dependencies is an awful lot of work. Wouldn't it be just as easy to send along a note on how to add the ron paul irc server? That's one line to edit in the configuration that pops up the first time you use it.

The official build is non-free, and many of the free ones around don't support stuff (SSL, Socks5) that we want, are unmaintained, or otherwise have problems. They are also often designed for more technical users (a zip file and instructions on where to install what rather than an installer, not bundled with things like GTK+ and require users to get the dependencies seperately), and sometimes come with other weird configurations. Not to mention the branding thing, of course.

will it run on XP x64?

I would think that it would, just running as a 32bit binary. FreeBSD, Linux, and Solaris with 64 bit kernels can all run 32bit binaries just fine.

torchbearer
06-16-2007, 01:39 PM
xp x64 runs 32bit apps through wow64

mdh
06-16-2007, 02:06 PM
I know all of AMD's and Intel's 64bit CPU's run 32bit code natively. Not sure how windows with a 64bit kernel deals with it. Shouldn't be a problem regardless just to release 32bit binaries for the application and libraries. :)

Brandybuck
06-16-2007, 07:19 PM
I've made a valiant attempt at building this. No luck. While I have extensive experience in crossplatform software development, this is giving me fits. Sorry I couldn't help. Maybe someone out there has experience with GTK+ on Windows.

mdh
06-16-2007, 08:00 PM
I've made a valiant attempt at building this. No luck. While I have extensive experience in crossplatform software development, this is giving me fits. Sorry I couldn't help. Maybe someone out there has experience with GTK+ on Windows.

Ooof. I'll bug some other friends... is anyone else here thinking about this? Brandybuck, can you tell me what went wrong, just for curiosity's sake? Thanks for the effort! :)

Exponent
06-16-2007, 08:22 PM
If Brandybuck, with extensive crossplatform software development, can't manage this, I'm sure I can't. I've struggled with many of the more basic libraries developed primarily on Linux. This sounds way over my head. That, and I am not really experience with IRC or networking stuff in general. I'm more of a graphics and math guy. Sorry. :(

DrStrabismus
06-16-2007, 08:27 PM

Brandybuck
06-17-2007, 01:06 AM
Brandybuck, can you tell me what went wrong, just for curiosity's sake?
The first problem is GTK+. It has way too many dependencies, none of which has much in the way of documentation. The second problem is xchat, which doesn't have any real build system for Windows. The documentation is incomplete. Third, I realized I was trying to stuff a Unix shaped peg into a Windows shaped hole. I spent a couple hours installing all the dependencies and getting stuff setup. Then an hour of fixing makefiles and correcting coding errors. I gave up because I saw many more hours ahead of me. I volunteered because I didn't think it was going to take up this much of my time.

p.s. I use the Qt framework professionally, and have done lots of porting between platforms. I took a look for any Qt based IRC apps out there, but the only candidate is kvirc, which seems to be out of date and unmaintained. If you know of another, I can give it a shot.

mdh
06-17-2007, 01:19 AM
Konversation is a Qt based IRC client. It might actually work out really well, come to think of it, if you could get it working. I don't know how dependent it is on other KDE and/or POSIX stuff it is. I used it for a while, but I liked xchat a bit better for some reason or another. I'm pretty sure it is actively maintained. The project is hosted on kde.org, so search on there for it. :)

The little GUI development I've done has been in GTK+ just because I use C and not C++. Glade makes it pretty easy to work with, and the libglade/XML interface thing is kind of neat if not entirely useful/optimal.