PDA

View Full Version : Debate Moderators, Why Can't You Ask Questions in a Fair Manner?

Theocrat
09-08-2011, 04:46 PM
After watching the debates so far this year, I really have to know why it's so hard for the debate moderators to ask the questions, one at a time, sequentially down the line of candidates instead of asking questions to the same candidates over and over again (with the chance of rebuttals and follow-ups). It makes the debate very uneven, and it becomes apparent that certain candidates are being favored over others. Truly, it's not hard to go down the line and ask each candidate a specific question, moving on to the next candidate afterwards.

Does anyone else feel that way?

Sola_Fide
09-08-2011, 05:03 PM
After watching the debates so far this year, I really have to know why it's so hard for the debate moderators to ask the questions, one at a time, sequentially down the line of candidates instead of asking questions to the same candidates over and over again (with the chance of rebuttals and follow-ups). It makes the debate very uneven, and it becomes apparent that certain candidates are being favored over others. Truly, it's not hard to go down the line and ask each candidate a specific question, moving on to the next candidate afterwards.

Does anyone else feel that way?

Totally agree. This is just another way that they try to control the debate.

In 2008, one of the best debates I saw was when Rick Warren (Purpose Driven Life guy) interviewed Obama and McCain but asked them both the exact same question.

If anybody can find a tube of that, it is great. It is how a debate should be done.

Sola_Fide
09-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYAUIIE8oLA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Every debate should be fair like this.

Dr.3D
09-08-2011, 05:49 PM
I would like to hear each candidate answer the same questions. Yes, there would be fewer questions, but people would be able to contrast the answers of each candidate to determine the difference between the candidates.

Theocrat
09-11-2011, 04:20 PM
I would like to hear each candidate answer the same questions. Yes, there would be fewer questions, but people would be able to contrast the answers of each candidate to determine the difference between the candidates.

I think that's a good idea, as well.

acptulsa
09-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Thei, if they honestly answered your question they'd have to kill you. So don't ask.

Napoleon's Shadow
09-11-2011, 04:34 PM
After watching the debates so far this year, I really have to know why it's so hard for the debate moderators to ask the questions, one at a time, sequentially down the line of candidates instead of asking questions to the same candidates over and over again (with the chance of rebuttals and follow-ups). Because you're watching entertainment, not a source of information. Doing it that way would be more boring and not make for good TV.

I would of course prefer it like that too, but the networks won't actually do it that way because ratings would go down if they did. The masses already perceive debates and politics in general as "boring".

It makes the debate very uneven, and it becomes apparent that certain candidates are being favored over others. The moderators actually rehearse for the debates. There are flow charts and eventualities that are created so that "if candidate x says this, then go to candidate y". Likewise, "if candidate y says that, then ask question z".

It would not be an inaccurate statement to say that the debates are essentially scripted.

Johnnymac
09-11-2011, 04:40 PM
nooo we cant do thattttttt every answer would be the same DUHHHHHH (except rons :D )