PDA

View Full Version : Debate Preparation is EVERYTHING. Ron, Get it Together! I know You Can Do it.

gb13
09-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Ron needs to be more prepared and more confrontational in debates. He should be as gloves-off in person, as his Trust" ad is on T.V.

It's obvious that his ideas are righteous, immortal, and near perfect. He, being a man, has faults; as we all do. Unfortunately, even some of Ron's virtues, when transported to the world of politics, become faults. For instance, the fact that he is a "kindly man". Obviously, this is a virtue. However, to the average voter, in this type of debate format, Ron's kindly nature runs the risk of coming off as weakness; shying away from a fight. This, coupled with stumbling through questions for which he should have rehearsed responses, is a bad mixture. He needs to be viewed as the "kindly man", who will turn into a doberman pinscher when defending his record, and the rights of the American people.

He should have knocked Perry out of the park. He clearly knew that "dear frank" question was coming. He was running an attack ad against perry during the debate, for crying out loud! He should have had the Benton letter's talking-points memorized, and had a 1-2 punch lined up with a well thought out critique of Perry's indefensible record, a la the "trust" ad. This was an early chance to gain serious ground and credibility as the only conservative on the stage, but he didn't seem to know how to field the bullshit questions he was given and spin them into an opportunity to address his (underdeveloped) talking points.

The other people in this race are literally taking Ron Paul's ideas, and boiling them down to rehearsed talking-points, and then copping them off as their own. The worst part: those Ron Paul talking points are resonating with the american people! He needs to CONSTANTLY hammer on the fact that he has been saying this stuff for 30 YEARS. He needs to call the others out on only recently parroting his ideas now that they have become popular. He needs to question their judgement. He needs to ask them why only now, in the midst of a crisis, are they beginning to realize what was plain-as-day to him 30 years ago. He also needs to put the moderators in their place when they slight him.

Along with that, he needs rehearsed responses to any ridiculous attacks on his record, and should have a better strategy, going forward, for addressing ALL bullshit debate questions chucked his way (and we all know there will be many, many more to come).

It could be as simple as this:

Moderator: "what do you think about (some unimportant issue, or some other veiled attempt to deny Ron the opportunity to address an important question every other candidate got an opportunity to talk about)?"

Ron Paul: "You know, that's an important issue, but it ties into an even more important issue, which is the underlying problem that everyone else on this stage seems to only recently have been able to understand": (then recite a prepared response about monetary policy, the economy, job creation, the welfare state, regulation & bureaucracy, individual liberty, or whatever talking-point is most relevant) Conclude with, "so until we get that underlying problem in order, making surface-deep adjustments to skirt the real issue will clearly be ineffective. It's a shame my colleagues on the debate stage weren't listening (for the past 30 years, decade, 5 years) that I have been addressing this problem and coming up with solutions to it on the house floor, on the public record."

Guys, I've supported Ron Paul since 2006 when I was in college and first found out who he was. Actively supporting him in '08 was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I really want to see him win this thing. If HE wants to win, he must learn how turn their game around on them. I know he can do it, but he and his campaign really need to buckle-down.

gb13
09-08-2011, 11:14 AM
I should add that I'm sure Ron Paul still persuaded voters last night. But not as many as he could have. I'd imagine he reached some more "thinking voters" last night. But make no mistake about it: WE NEED THE LEMMINGS TOO. That's the bulk of the american electorate. Why do all the other candidates speak in 30 second sound bites? The answer is obvious.

gb13
09-08-2011, 02:21 PM
haha wow, nothing?. If this was a link to an internet poll to vote in, there would be 50 responses.

TER
09-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Ron needs to frame the debates and not just follow whatever the moderators ask. He needs to stick with ending the wars and this disastrous foreign policy, fixing monetary policy, and the protection of our liberties and the fruits of our labor. Who cares what the moderator asked!?! Ron should be using whatever little time he is given to respond to questions he was skipped on which are important or address attacks made on him or blatant untruths spread by others on stage, and if there is any time left, answer the questions asked by the moderator. If he doesn't answer it, they will ask him again, and in this way, he will would have gotten off his chest what the country needed to hear and now have even more time to address whatever question the moderator thinks is so important.

Buchananite
09-08-2011, 02:27 PM
When he isn't asked questions he needs to but in. I remember at one point Cain got their attention before they were going to ask somebody else a question and wouldn't let them interrupt.

Todd
09-08-2011, 02:27 PM
haha wow, nothing?. If this was a link to an internet poll to vote in, there would be 50 responses.

lol...qft.

trey4sports
09-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Ron is truly an incredible person and candidate for president. However, one of his few weaknesses is that he is NOT a soundbite guy. He doesn't do that. Sorry, but you're going to have to accept him for who he is not who you want him to be.

TER
09-08-2011, 02:31 PM
He doesn't have to try and make soundbites. He needs to simply stand up and be counted and not be taken advantage of by being given less time in debates and being given ridiculous questions to respond to. The country wants a leader with courage, and this requires him to stand up against the weaselly news moderators. How are we the people going to trust our nation's security with him and in dealing with the heads of other nations if he allows silly moderators to talk over him and down to him?

trey4sports
09-08-2011, 02:35 PM
He doesn't have to try and make soundbites. He needs to simply stand up and be counted and not be taken advantage of by being given less time in debates and being given ridiculous questions to respond to. The country wants a leader with courage, and this requires him to stand up against the weasly news moderators. How are we the people going to trust our nation's security with him and in dealing with the heads of other nations if he allows silly moderators talk over him and down to him?

maybe the fact that ron has an impecable record and does what he says? Howabout that as a reason to trust him with national security?

TER
09-08-2011, 02:43 PM
maybe the fact that ron has an impecable record and does what he says? Howabout that as a reason to trust him with national security?

Of course that is the reason why I trust him, and why you trust him. But he is not trying to get our vote. He already has it. He needs to get the vote of the average American voter, who spends the majority of their life watching shows like American Idol and CSI and whatever else is popular these days. And these average voters want a leader who is fearless and fiercely determined to defend our liberties, especially when being attacked and called out on stage.

gb13
09-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Ron is truly an incredible person and candidate for president. However, one of his few weaknesses is that he is NOT a soundbite guy. He doesn't do that. Sorry, but you're going to have to accept him for who he is not who you want him to be.

He doesn't have to try and make soundbites. He needs to simply stand up and be counted and not be taken advantage of by being given less time in debates and being given ridiculous questions to respond to. The country wants a leader with courage, and this requires him to stand up against the weasly news moderators. How are we the people going to trust our nation's security with him and in dealing with the heads of other nations if he allows silly moderators talk over him and down to him?

Ron needs to frame the debates and not just follow whatever the moderators ask. He needs to stick with ending the wars and this disastrous foreign policy, fixing monetary policy, and the protection of our liberties and the fruits of our labor. Who cares what the moderator asked!?! Ron should be using whatever little time he is given to respond to questions he was skipped on which are important or address attacks made on him or blatant untruths spread by others on stage, and if there is any time left, answer the questions asked by the moderator. If he doesn't answer it, they will ask him again, and in this way, he will would have gotten off his chest what the country needed to hear and now have even more time to address whatever question the moderator thinks is so important.

Totally agree with you there, TER. He doesn't have to turn into a soundbite candidate, he just has to stand up for himself and not take bullshit when others try to bully and belittle him (a quality every head of state ABSOLUTELY must possess and display to the public anyway), and needs to avoid saying things in such a way that they could be turned into 30 second soundbites AGAINST him -especially when he's being fought at every possible turn from being able to break into the top-tier.

Those two things, plus knowing how to frame the debate around the issues he wants to talk about, and shining light onto his impeccable will shuttle him into the hearts and minds of a vast majority of voters; especially if the campaign keeps churning out fantastic ads, and keeps working to counter media spin.

ScotTX
09-08-2011, 02:56 PM
He could definitely use some better prep and some good notes, but you can't teach an old dog new tricks, I'm afraid. People who choose their candidate based on style will most likely never like Ron Paul. Those of us who go for substance, however, have nowhere else to go.

Revolution0918
09-08-2011, 02:58 PM
he really was terrible last night

Lord Xar
09-08-2011, 03:05 PM
I think the reason there are not more responses is simple.

Ron won't change. If you go back to the 2008 forum posts, there were threads like this up the ying-yang. Shit, I think I even made one or two of them. We watched the debates back then (I don't even bother now) in stunned silence because our man Ron didn't do alot of things we hoped he would. When we thought he'd come out swinging, he'd be passive... when we thought he'd explain some point very succinctly, he'd get into theories and go over peoples heads.

I can't tell you why he doesn't change or doesn't take simple criticism... perhaps he is changing a little as I noticed his attack on Perry and reference to him being a doctor.... but there is still alot of work to be done. I would he'd take criticism from Doug Wead etc...

Who knows.. Ron is awesome, but there are some things he needs to bend on, just a little.

james1844
09-08-2011, 03:06 PM
I agree, Ron should work on his debate performance. He doesn't always do a good job articulating his values in a way that's convincing for joe and jane average.

MJU1983
09-08-2011, 03:07 PM
The easiest thing to do would be to instantly deflect from the idiotic questions they ask and just focus on issues that are important to Americans: The Economy/Jobs, Bringing our troops home, etc.

If they interrupt him, I'd just say - this is what the American people deserve and need to hear.

^ Posted that in another thread.

trey4sports
09-08-2011, 03:08 PM
I think the reason there are not more responses is simple.

Ron won't change. If you go back to the 2008 forum posts, there were threads like this up the ying-yang. Shit, I think I even made one or two of them. We watched the debates back then (I don't even bother now) in stunned silence because our man Ron didn't do alot of things we hoped he would. When we thought he'd come out swinging, he'd be passive... when we thought he'd explain some point very succinctly, he'd get into theories and go over peoples heads.

I can't tell you why he doesn't change or doesn't take simple criticism... perhaps he is changing a little as I noticed his attack on Perry and reference to him being a doctor.... but there is still alot of work to be done. I would he'd take criticism from Doug Wead etc...

Who knows.. Ron is awesome, but there are some things he needs to bend on, just a little.

that is my point. For better or worse, Ron is who he is, and asking him to do ____ is really just a waste of time, and I mean that in a literal rather than figurative sense.

TER
09-08-2011, 03:21 PM
I empathize with what you are saying, trey. We love him for who he is. But this is it. This is the last time. This is the last run for president. It is unfair to ask more from a man well in his years who has done more to promote liberty then anyone else for a generation. But the sad reality is that unless he shows that vigor and fighting spirit consistently, which he still has in him, then we will be left with four more years of war, inflation, and the further loss of our liberties and way of life. This is more than the average person can handle. If it wasn't our belief that he can handle it, we wouldn't be posting here. He has it in him. He has demonstrated it in the past. We are not asking him to change, but to focus on calling out the lies and the media manufactured mistreatment and fight with no regard for the consequences other than to reveal to the American people why he alone is the only one who has consistently fought to defend their rights and the constitution.

ForLibertyFight
09-08-2011, 03:22 PM
I empathize with what you are saying, trey. We love him for who he is. But this is it. This is the last time. This is the last run for president. It is unfair to ask more from a man well in his years who has done more to promote liberty then anyone else for a generation. But the sad reality is that unless he shows that vigor and fighting spirit consistently, which he still has in him, then we will be left with four more years of war, inflation, and the further loss of our liberties and way of life. This is more than the average person can handle. If it wasn't our belief that he can handle it, we wouldn't be posting here. He has it in him. He has demonstrated it in the past. We are not asking him to change, but to focus on calling out the lies and the media manufactured mistreatment and fight with no regard for the consequences other than to reveal to the American people why he alone is the only one who has consistently fought to defend the constitution.

+rep

gb13
09-08-2011, 03:35 PM
+rep

Seconded.

gls
09-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Ron is not dumb. He knows that he is not going to win debating in the manner that he does. He doesn't want to be president of the sinking ship known as America. Frankly I don't blame him.

speciallyblend
09-08-2011, 04:04 PM
ron paul was just fine, if folks think they can do better? Then run for president or stfu!

Philmanoman
09-08-2011, 04:12 PM
ron paul was just fine, if folks think they can do better? Then run for president or stfu!

This is what Ive been thinkin the whole time reading peoples posts about him needin to do better.

Then factor in everything else...
Waiting to get a question
Knowing nobody on stage,the mods or the audience is on your side and would love to see you fail
Its not as easy as you folks make it sound

Andrew76
09-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Hmm, I can see both sides here. At a certain point, we have to accept the messenger as he is, even Ron admits this. But this does not mean we can't wish he'd get in a few more pointed jabs at these self righteous bastards. Does he jumble his sentences sometimes? Sure. So does Obama and don't even get me started on G.W.B. (nukular anyone?). But yes, this is campaign time. He's paying his advisors good money. We WANT him to be elected. There's always a way to maintain your principles 100% while still sharpening your skills at delivering the message. Really nailing it home. Everyone on that f*cking stage was taking potshots at him, even those ridiculous wind bag moderators would try to get in little digs when not outright insulting his and our intelligence with their condescending tone. This is a true war of ideas. Sharpening your verbal swords and tightening up your defenses is not just a good idea, it's totally required for success. In the face of horrendous odds, Ron Paul is doing a heroic job with comparatively little help. Perry is getting something like 50 million from some super PAC?? But again, that being said, Ron must continually be better than these fools. He must beat them at their own game. Stop letting them steal his ideas. Call them out on it. Call them out on everything. Expose these fools for who they are. Ron can/should make intellectual mincemeat of these clowns. That's not to say he should become something he's not. He shouldn't turn into some kind of barking a**hole. But he needs to be relentless and razor sharp.

Even without all that, I think he has a better chance of beating Obama than anyone else, all I'd like to do is improve our odds.

jmdrake
09-08-2011, 04:33 PM

Every internet poll is different and there is actually something to...well...do. How many "Gawd I didn't like RP performance in last nights debate" threads should people be expected to respond to in 24 hours? And to what end? So I can send the campaign another email that won't get read? Not saying that to knock the campaign. I'm sure they're getting a ton of emails. Don't get me wrong. The information is valuable. I posted my on thread on what I wish he had said with regards to Iraq. But at the end what are we supposed to do with it? :confused:

aburan28
09-08-2011, 04:47 PM
He's got to change his debate style I agree. He has to fix his posture, his speed of talking, and should try and prepare responses before the debate. I'm telling you that if he fixed his debate style he could destroy the others in debates and win over many voters. But last nights debate was an important one and his responses were not that great (presentation-wise, content was great as usual) and could have burst the Perry-Bubble. Why we do not have a debate coach yet is astonishing...

Butchie
09-08-2011, 04:53 PM
This is what Ive been thinkin the whole time reading peoples posts about him needin to do better.

Knowing nobody on stage,the mods or the audience is on your side and would love to see you fail

There's lots of professions out there that I couldn't do better than the person doing them, doesn't mean if I take my car to a mechanic and they give it back still broke down I can't complain does it? I'll be the first to admit I can't do better, but then I doubt he could do my job either, so what's the point? BTW, it's not like any of us are trying to insult Ron, but most of us have invested alot of time and money and hope in him, this isn't some silly Reality Show contest here, this could have a serious impact on our jobs, liberties, etc, so yeah, get bit nervous at times.

LibertyEagle
09-08-2011, 04:57 PM
He's got to change his debate style I agree. He has to fix his posture, his speed of talking, and should try and prepare responses before the debate. I'm telling you that if he fixed his debate style he could destroy the others in debates and win over many voters. But last nights debate was an important one and his responses were not that great (presentation-wise, content was great as usual) and could have burst the Perry-Bubble. Why we do not have a debate coach yet is astonishing...

What do you think Doug Wead is?

Matthew Zak
09-08-2011, 05:06 PM
I thought Ron did very well. He had some talking points, and he often looked to them when giving his answers.

gb13
09-08-2011, 05:14 PM

The establishment has never, nor will the ever want Ron Paul to succeed in any way whatsoever; not in the house, and not with the people. He's used to that, and he is a very brave man for doing what he does. And in certain settings he is able to defend his positions with an incredible amount of tenacity... just not usually in a debate setting.

Look, Ron isn't the best debater. OK. Granted. I don't fault him for that; none of us do. He speaks the truth, we love him for it, and the truth carries him a long way in any format, so he doesn't have to be the best debater. He just can't be the worst. When someone with no spine, a terrible record, and zero accomplishments of which to be even remotely proud can run circles around Ron in a debate setting, something is wrong. But the worst part about it is:

Ron Paul has it in him to be great on the debate stage!

He just needs to learn how to maneuver a little better and display his rightfully earned authority. Hell, if I had his record of accomplishment and principle, I'd be the most confident person on the face of the planet. And Ron Paul is confident, he just lacks the knowledge of how to let it shine through while debating.

Now, if any of you doubt that Ron can be more authoritative and collected on the stage, you should listen to some of his speeches from the house floor, or clips of him questioning Bernanke, et al. He is captivating, dignified, and VERY convincing! The campaign only needs to show Ron that he can be THAT Ron Paul in a debate setting too. It's not hard; no new tricks to learn, because he already has the skills. All he'd have to do is learn a few spin moves to side-step a bullshit question or veiled attack, and then remember to take his time with his responses (just like he does when making speeches in congress), don't address the moderators and lose your train of thought when they say "time", and just wrap it up quickly. Having prepared responses and bullet-points is the key. He would only have to learn a few. He obviously brings notes, he just needs to beef them up and stick to them. He clearly can memorize data and information, the dude is a friggin' brainiac.

I don't want him to change; no one is suggesting that. He should never change. He just has to defend truth and principle with the same vigor in debates as he does in congress. He has to call the media, moderators, and other candidates on their shit on live t.v. the same way he calls out tyranny on the house floor.

If he would do those things, he would literally be unstoppable.

Sola_Fide
09-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Ron needs to be more prepared and more confrontational in debates. He should be as gloves-off in person, as his Trust" ad is on T.V.

It's obvious that his ideas are righteous, immortal, and near perfect. He, being a man, has faults; as we all do. Unfortunately, even some of Ron's virtues, when transported to the world of politics, become faults. For instance, the fact that he is a "kindly man". Obviously, this is a virtue. However, to the average voter, in this type of debate format, Ron's kindly nature runs the risk of coming off as weakness; shying away from a fight. This, coupled with stumbling through questions for which he should have rehearsed responses, is a bad mixture. He needs to be viewed as the "kindly man", who will turn into a doberman pinscher when defending his record, and the rights of the American people.

He should have knocked Perry out of the park. He clearly knew that "dear frank" question was coming. He was running an attack ad against perry during the debate, for crying out loud! He should have had the Benton letter's talking-points memorized, and had a 1-2 punch lined up with a well thought out critique of Perry's indefensible record, a la the "trust" ad. This was an early chance to gain serious ground and credibility as the only conservative on the stage, but he didn't seem to know how to field the bullshit questions he was given and spin them into an opportunity to address his (underdeveloped) talking points.

The other people in this race are literally taking Ron Paul's ideas, and boiling them down to rehearsed talking-points, and then copping them off as their own. The worst part: those Ron Paul talking points are resonating with the american people! He needs to CONSTANTLY hammer on the fact that he has been saying this stuff for 30 YEARS. He needs to call the others out on only recently parroting his ideas now that they have become popular. He needs to question their judgement. He needs to ask them why only now, in the midst of a crisis, are they beginning to realize what was plain-as-day to him 30 years ago. He also needs to put the moderators in their place when they slight him.

Along with that, he needs rehearsed responses to any ridiculous attacks on his record, and should have a better strategy, going forward, for addressing ALL bullshit debate questions chucked his way (and we all know there will be many, many more to come).

It could be as simple as this:

Moderator: "what do you think about (some unimportant issue, or some other veiled attempt to deny Ron the opportunity to address an important question every other candidate got an opportunity to talk about)?"

Ron Paul: "You know, that's an important issue, but it ties into an even more important issue, which is the underlying problem that everyone else on this stage seems to only recently have been able to understand": (then recite a prepared response about monetary policy, the economy, job creation, the welfare state, regulation & bureaucracy, individual liberty, or whatever talking-point is most relevant) Conclude with, "so until we get that underlying problem in order, making surface-deep adjustments to skirt the real issue will clearly be ineffective. It's a shame my colleagues on the debate stage weren't listening (for the past 30 years, decade, 5 years) that I have been addressing this problem and coming up with solutions to it on the house floor, on the public record."

Guys, I've supported Ron Paul since 2006 when I was in college and first found out who he was. Actively supporting him in '08 was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I really want to see him win this thing. If HE wants to win, he must learn how turn their game around on them. I know he can do it, but he and his campaign really need to buckle-down.

I used to think a lot like this too, but one of the things we have all realized is that, good or bad, Ron Paul doesn't change.

This is his sometimes his best asset and sometimes his worst drawback. You either take Ron like he is or you dont. *shrugs*

gb13
09-08-2011, 06:17 PM
I used to think a lot like this too, but one of the things we have all realized is that, good or bad, Ron Paul doesn't change.

This is his sometimes his best asset and sometimes his worst drawback. You either take Ron like he is or you dont. *shrugs*

See my post above yours..

bolidew
09-08-2011, 08:31 PM
I empathize with what you are saying, trey. We love him for who he is. But this is it. This is the last time. This is the last run for president. It is unfair to ask more from a man well in his years who has done more to promote liberty then anyone else for a generation. But the sad reality is that unless he shows that vigor and fighting spirit consistently, which he still has in him, then we will be left with four more years of war, inflation, and the further loss of our liberties and way of life. This is more than the average person can handle. If it wasn't our belief that he can handle it, we wouldn't be posting here. He has it in him. He has demonstrated it in the past. We are not asking him to change, but to focus on calling out the lies and the media manufactured mistreatment and fight with no regard for the consequences other than to reveal to the American people why he alone is the only one who has consistently fought to defend their rights and the constitution.

Agree.