PDA

View Full Version : UK Telegraph: Ron Paul is right. Military adventurism is a luxury we can no longer afford

Inkblots
09-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Ron Paul has got himself into trouble over his suggestion that if the US military stopped air con for its troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, it could save the treasury a whopping $20 billion a year. He remarked in the latest Republican presidential candidate debate in the Ronald Reagan Library:

I was astonished! We are spending twenty billion dollars on air conditioning for our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. I would take all that away, use ten billion to pay down the debt, and use the other ten toward FEMA and any other agency that we really need. And if you took that air conditioning away, those troops would come home very quickly, and I’d be happy with that.

It's unlikely to endear him to the rump of US right: there are an awful lot of conservative apple pie moms out there whose boys (and girls) are proudly serving right now in sweaty, lethal hell holes where dysentery is a way of life. But Congressman Paul has never held back from telling it like it is and while his suggestion may be insensitive and tasteless, the broader point he is making is absolutely spot on. Foreign military adventures are a luxury the free West can no longer afford.

. . .

Perhaps this is what happens to all politicians when they enter the bubble. They're capable of making all the right noises on the campaign trail – as Rick Perry did at the same debate when he bravely and rightly described the welfare system as a "Ponzi" scheme – but as soon as they gain office, they forget all their promises (Cameron's "Bonfire of the Quangos", anyone?) and carry on increasing government spending and borrowing like there's no tomorrow. Ron Paul is one of the few exceptions. He's not another politician. He doesn't care whom he offends. His principles are adamantine. If things are going to get as bad as I think they're going to get, we need to start taking Ron Paul and his ideas much, much more seriously.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100103756/ron-paul-is-right-military-adventurism-is-a-luxury-we-can-no-longer-afford/

It might be nice to go show some support in the comments.

Tunink
09-08-2011, 08:57 AM
I think it's a little much to say that conservative apple pie moms want there kids over there, if anything you would think they want them home. I liked Ron Paul's point for what he really meant: The troops wouldn't even be over there, so 20 billion would automatically be freed up to pay for FEMA and pay down debt, not that he would have a reason to take it away, they wouldn't even be there in the first place.