PDA

View Full Version : Getting targeted by Corporate Churchies

GunnyFreedom
09-08-2011, 02:00 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/09/08/1469095/pope-aided-koch-brothers-but-by.html

:rolleyes:
A majority of the lawmakers (11 representatives and one senator) are black Democrats, though Republican Reps. Chuck McGrady and Glen Bradley are also targets.
Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/09/08/1469095/pope-aided-koch-brothers-but-by.html#ixzz1XLVSHIEw

Kludge
09-08-2011, 02:27 AM
I'm a bit confused by the article. Is it supposed to be a collection of articles or is the "conservative political organization" referenced in the third article supposed to be connected to those mentioned in the first?

*snip -- read the poll results backward. Lemme get another beer and try again, less I lose the "I'm drunk" defense*

KCIndy
09-08-2011, 02:42 AM
I think this is pretty telling, right here:

From the article:

The survey found that the amendment garners only 30 percent support, with 55 percent of voters opposed. Democrats and independent voters oppose the amendment, and even 47 percent of Republicans, a plurality, don't think it's necessary.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/09/08/1469095/pope-aided-koch-brothers-but-by.html#ixzz1XLfhYiQv

GunnyFreedom
09-08-2011, 03:03 AM
I think this is pretty telling, right here:

From the article:

The polling on both sides of this issue is extremely deceptive. Bear in mind also that the News and Observer is McClatchy org paper, and is way to the left of the NY Times.

PPP, the hardcore Dem pollster asks "Do you want a Constitutional Amendment Banning Same Sex Marriage" and gets 30% yes 55% no

While that may be the effect of the amendment, that's not what the amendment IS.

Civitas &c, a hardcore Rep pollster aska "Do you support a Constitutional Amendment to define marriage as between one man and one woman only" and gets 70% yes 20% no

While that may be a more accurate description than the PPP poll, it leaves out the bit about "no other union being recognized in the state."

I don't trust ANY of the published polling I've seen to mean, well, anything at all.

So I'm running a poll. I hope. LOL

GunnyFreedom
09-08-2011, 03:05 AM
I'm a bit confused by the article. Is it supposed to be a collection of articles or is the "conservative political organization" referenced in the third article supposed to be connected to those mentioned in the first?

*snip -- read the poll results backward. Lemme get another beer and try again, less I lose the "I'm drunk" defense*

McClatchy org papers like the News and Observer do this all the time. They take a bunch of smaller articles that don't really take up enough column space to be on their own and mush them together. The top half has nothing to do with the bottom half.

GunnyFreedom
09-08-2011, 03:36 AM
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

North Carolina Family Policy Council 17% no 73% yes

March 31, 2009

http://www.ncfpc.org/stories/090331s2.html

“How likely would you be to vote for a ballot initiative that would place in our State Constitution the definition of marriage as “only the union of one man and one woman?””

Raleigh, N.C. – Today, the North Carolina Family Policy Council announced the results of a statewide survey of registered voters, which found that 73 percent of North Carolinians support an amendment to the state constitution defining marriage as only between one man and one woman. The results of the poll, which was commissioned by the North Carolina Policy Council, were announced at a press conference at the General Assembly.

The live caller poll was conducted by the Virginia-based Advantage Incorporated and involved a telephone survey of 5,009 registered voters in North Carolina. Of those, 45 percent were registered Democrats, 37 percent were registered Republicans, and 18 percent had no party affiliation or described themselves as “other.” Researchers did not share the status of current state law with respondents.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

NC Civitas (All Voters) 31% no 64% yes

March 27th 2011

http://www.nccivitas.org/2011/march-2011-poll-results/

“The North Carolina legislature is considering a bill that would allow North Carolina voters to vote on amending the state constitution to say marriage is only between a man and a woman. Do you support or oppose allowing North Carolina Voters to vote on this constitutional amendment?”

NC Civitas (Unaffiliateds Only) 43% no 49% yes

September 6th 2011

https://www.nccivitas.org/2011/civitas-poll-unaffiliated-voters-still-support-marriage-amendment/

“Do you support or oppose amending the North Carolina Constitution to define marriage as only between one man and one woman?”

Raleigh, N.C. – Forty-nine percent of North Carolina’s unaffiliated voters support a constitutional amendment defining marriage as between one man and woman.

According to the live caller poll of 400 unaffiliated general election voters, 49 percent said they support amending the North Carolina Constitution to define marriage as only between one man and one woman. Forty-three percent said they oppose doing so, and seven percent said they do not know or have no opinion.

Public Policy Polling (PPP) 55% no 30% yes

September 7th 2011

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2011/09/nc-against-gay-marriage-but-also-marriage-amendment.html

“State legislators have proposed an amendment to the North Carolina Constitution that would prohibit the recognition of marriage, civil unions, or domestic partnerships for gay and lesbian couples. If the election was held today, would you vote for or against this amendment?”

Raleigh, N.C. – 61% of North Carolinians want same-sex marriage to remain illegal, as it is now by statutory law, and only 31% want it to be legal. But 55% also would vote against the Republicans’ proposed constitutional amendment prohibiting marriage, civil unions, and domestic partnerships for gay couples. Only 30% would vote for the amendment.

So basically, with all the infinite variety available here, differences in how the question is asked, information about whether the current status of law is included, things left out, things inserted, whether the question asks if the legislature should sent it to the referendum, how they will actually vote in the referendum, and the political leanings of the polling company, you can pretty much get anything you want out of polling this topic.

So if you see poll results on the marriage amendment in NC, just know that they are pretty much meaningless. Altogether meaningless.

GunnyFreedom
09-08-2011, 03:45 AM
So, what I can best gather, is that a large majority of NC voters support sending a marriage definition amendment to a referendum for a popular vote; but a same-sized large majority of NC voters plan on actually voting against the referendum for an amendment banning same sex unions.

So best I can figure on this one is if I were carrying out the will of the voters, then I'd vote yes to send it to the public referendum, and then campaign against it once it was sent to the ballot for the November general election.

celestineB
09-08-2011, 03:58 AM
Yes. We can figure on this one is if I were carrying out the will of the voters, then I'd vote yes to send it to the public referendum, and then campaign against it once it was sent to the ballot for the November general election.

GunnyFreedom
09-08-2011, 12:40 PM
http://www.americanindependent.com/192893/family-research-council-launches-anti-gay-marriage-ads-in-north-carolina

Family Research Council launches anti-gay marriage ads in North Carolina

The Family Research Council launched radio ads in North Carolina on Thursday in support of a constitutional amendment that would ban marriage rights for same-sex couples, civil unions and domestic partnerships. The group is urging lawmakers to pass the amendment in a special session next week.

The ads say, respectively:

“Marriage is at risk in our state. Our laws defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman could be overturned. Marriage between one man and one woman benefits families in society so we must preserve the marriage laws in our state Constitution.

“On September 12, the North Carolina legislature will vote on putting a marriage amendment to a vote of the people. Powerful voices in our state capitol are threatening your right to vote on marriage. Take a stand for marriage. Call [your representative] and ask [them] to vote yes to the marriage amendment. It’s not about party, it’s about marriage.

“And on September 12, join us for a rally supporting marriage at 11 a.m. in front of the legislative building in Raleigh. Bring a sign and take a stand for marriage.”

The Family Research Council, which is listed as an anti-gay hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center, is specifically targeting Sen. Eric Mansfield (D), and Reps. Rep. Chuck McGrady (R), Michael Wray (D), Annie Mobley (D), Garland Pierce (D), Elmer Floyd (D), Larry Bell (D), Charles Graham (D), Earline Parmon (D), Jim Crawford (D) and Glen Bradley (R).

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/frc-action-launches-radio-ad-campaign-urging-north-carolina-legislature-to-support-marriage-129393283.html

FRC Action Launches Radio Ad Campaign Urging North Carolina Legislature to Support Marriage

WASHINGTON, Sept. 7, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Family Research Council Action (FRC Action), the legislative advocacy arm of the Family Research Council, launched a radio ad campaign today that will run on 20 stations across North Carolina.

The ads, which will run from today through Monday, ask voters to call their state legislators and urge them to vote for adding a marriage amendment to the ballot next year. The ad also encourages listeners to attend a rally at 11 a.m. Eastern on Monday, September 12 outside of the statehouse.

Two versions of the ad are running, including one voiced by Pastor Patrick L. Wooden, Sr., of the Upper Room Church of God in Christ in Raleigh, NC. The ads will run in the districts of State Reps. Chuck McGrady, Michael Wray, Winkie Wilkins, Annie Mobley, Garland Pierce, Elmer Floyd, Larry Bell, Charles Graham, Earline Parmon, Jim Crawford, Glen Bradley and State Sen.Eric Mansfield.

GunnyFreedom
09-08-2011, 07:44 PM
93 calls on my cellphone today. One of those machines that call people and then connect you to a number. My cell. Had to turn it off, I was at a conference on harm reduction, and was going to use my phone for a speech timer. No luck with that one.