PDA

View Full Version : VA - Cops called by neighbors over loose family dog, cops show up and shoot dog dead.

Anti Federalist
09-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Just another puppycide in the empire, but a comment from one of the sources reporting on it was telling, I thought:

"The owner did make a mistake, however I think it’s wrong for an officer to go on to someone’s property and shoot their dog on their front steps," Elsts said. "Any witnesses would have been traumatized."

"What scares me is if an officer responds to a call at my house, are they going to use lethal weapons against my pets?"

http://annandale.patch.com/articles/fairfax-county-police-officer-shoots-dog-in-parklawn-neighborhood

Even the non awakened mundanes are starting to get the picture. Yes, lady, you should be scared and yes, cops that show up at your house and feel the slightest bit threatened by your animals, will shoot them.

So what have we learned, Miss Elsts?

That's right: don't call the cops.

Police shoot dog in Parklawn

Friday, September 2, 2011

http://annandaleva.blogspot.com/2011/09/police-shoot-pit-bull-in-parklawn.html

Residents of the Parklawn neighborhood who had repeatedly complained about a loose pit bull needn’t worry any more – Fairfax County police officers shot and killed the dog this morning while the owner, Tom Tomlo of Everglade Drive, was at work.

Lucy Caldwell, a spokesperson with Animal Control, says the department received a call this morning about a loose dog, and when police officers arrived, the dog charged, so an officer shot it.

Tomlo heard about the incident from a neighbor and rushed home. When he got there, he found “three or four police cars and a caravan in front of my house and my dog lying on the front porch with a bullet in his head.”

An officer said “your dog has been out of control,” Tomlo recalls. “I said ‘you are approaching this the wrong way.’ Someone shot my dog and you’re questioning me.’ This is a crime.”

Tomlo has had the dog, named Crash, since he found him as a four-week-old puppy on a parking lot in Alabama about eight years ago. “He was the best dog I’ve ever had. He was very gentle, very intelligent,” he says.

Crash was not a pit bull, he says. “He was a mutt mixed with several breeds. He had characteristics that made him resemble a pit.” And many people in the neighborhood thought he was one.

Tomlo acknowledged that Crash has repeatedly run off, but he says he had fixed his fence and wasn’t aware that Crash had gotten loose again. “He never attacked or bit anyone,” he says, although “he would bark if someone walked up to him.”

“They said the dog was aggressive and the officer felt threatened,” Tomlo says. “The dog was on the front porch, and he felt threatened when the officer approached. . . . Any animal would have reacted that way.”

“If my dog was preventing the cops from investigating a crime or was on the neighbor’s property, I would totally understand what happened,” he says. “But he was 10 feet from my front steps.”

“He was part of my family. There was no justification for shooting him,” says Tomlo, who was still coming to terms with the loss of his pet. “They took the dog corpse for an autopsy. I don’t know why as it’s pretty obvious he was shot in the head. I hadn’t even had a chance to say goodbye.”

Rael
09-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Oh god. This is a NEW story =(

Tomlo acknowledged that Crash has repeatedly run off, but he says he had fixed his fence and wasn’t aware that Crash had gotten loose again.

Anyone else noticing a pattern to these stories?

AFPVet
09-06-2011, 10:29 PM
When a vicious dog is attacking us or someone else, pepper spray, water bottles, etc. are not effective against the dog. Bullshit! I know for a fact that the pepper that officers carry is good enough for dogs. If they are good enough for freaking bears, they are more than adequate for dogs... for F's sake... freaking morons.

pcosmar
09-06-2011, 10:31 PM

Yeah, Dogs shot inside their yard with the allegation that they were out.
Or dogs that were known and loved by neighbors,,, except one.

Rael
09-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Yeah, Dogs shot inside their yard with the allegation that they were out.
Or dogs that were known and loved by neighbors,,, except one.

The guy admitted that the dog 'repeatedly" has escaped. The cop is probably a pussy and could have used a non-lethal method, but unfortunately the dog had an irresponsible owner. The dog was probably lucky to have lasted this long without getting hit by a car.

pcosmar
09-06-2011, 10:42 PM
The guy admitted that the dog 'repeatedly" has escaped. The cop is probably a pussy and could have used a non-lethal method, but unfortunately the dog had an irresponsible owner. The dog was probably lucky to have lasted this long without getting hit by a car.

Bullshit,
I have lived in communities with dogs running loose.
I grew up with dogs playing with kids, running with kids. and loose all the time.
I have know dogs to travel several miles by themselves routinely. Into town and back again.
Several of these dogs were known to the neighborhoods and played with the kids,, or in this ones case, with cats.

But Chang says he is upset that the animal control officer used his gun to kill the dog.

"We have a firearm being shot in the neighborhood with children possibly around," Chang says.

Chang also says the dog did not appear to be aggressive, and he had even seen the animal playing gently with neighborhood cats.

The problem is not with dogs. It is with police and assholes for neighbors.
:(

Philhelm
09-06-2011, 10:47 PM
This is starting to turn into a Houndocaust.

devil21
09-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Not a surprise at all for Fairfax County cops. Anybody from the DC area is well aware of their police state mentality.

Anti Federalist
09-06-2011, 11:09 PM

Posting another one from yesterday, where the dog was shot in his home for no apparent reason.

Anti Federalist
09-06-2011, 11:19 PM
The facts are still coming out in this one, here's a thumbnail as I understand it:

Cops raid home without a warrant looking for brother of man who lives there (brother does not live there but was visiting earlier in the day).

Upon charging into the home they encounter the family dog, and shoot it. (the dog has survived?)

They then run off all the family, cordon off the area leaving the injured dog. (to bleed out and die I'm assuming)

Homeowner goes through the police line to take care of the dog, gets chased by cops and arrested.

Harlingen homeowner facing charges after family dog shot

by Sergio Chapa
Posted: 09.06.2011 at 3:42 PM

http://www.valleycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=660171#.Tmb7-Fuqbbw

A Harlingen homeowner is facing criminal charges after he allegedly entered a crime scene where his dog had been shot by a police officer.

Harlingen police arrested 51-year-old Robert Luis Subia on interfering with public duties and evading arrest charges on Friday.

Investigators told Action 4 News that Subia was arrested in connection to an investigation where his dog was shot by a police officer.

Officers went to Subia’s Chaparral Street home on Friday afternoon.

Police didn’t find the man they were looking for but an officer shot Subia’s dog because it allegedly charged at an one of the investigators.

Investigators said police had sealed off the area and warned Subia to stay away but dog owner allegedly entered the restricted area.

Subia allegedly fled on foot but was caught a short time later.

The Harlingen homeowner appeared before a municipal judge on Saturday where he was issued $5,500 dollars in bonds.

The family spokes to Action 4 News about the incident last week.

They said the dog was barking but did not charge at police.

heavenlyboy34
09-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Bullshit,
I have lived in communities with dogs running loose.
I grew up with dogs playing with kids, running with kids. and loose all the time.
I have know dogs to travel several miles by themselves routinely. Into town and back again.
Several of these dogs were known to the neighborhoods and played with the kids,, or in this ones case, with cats.

The problem is not with dogs. It is with police and assholes for neighbors.
:(
qft. When I was a kid visiting relatives in the midwest, dogs were allowed to wander all over and played nicely with the neighborhood kids (even the big, "scary" breeds).

DamianTV
09-07-2011, 01:46 AM
People used to also take responsibility for training their dogs. Dogs are just like kids that never grow up completely. If you dont teach your kids that drawing on the TV screen with permanent marker is an unacceptable behavior, the kids will believe that such behavior is tolerated. Likewise, if dog owners are responsible and at least socialize their dogs with their neighbors so they dont fight, teach the neighbors kids how to get along with dogs, most problems are solved. Dogs have an instinct to get out, explore, run around, mark their territory, chase cats or other small animals and sometimes get into garbage.

Then we have the Cops. The cops are just as bad. They dont teach anyone anything. They walk around with chips on their shoulders and expect just because they have a shiny piece of metal pinned to their official looking clothing and an important sounding title, they expect absolute obedience from both us and our dogs. Not all cops own dogs. Those that dont have any experience interacting with dogs will be the ones to shoot your canine family member as they would a gang banger, or someone smoking a joint.

Dont ever expect to call the cops without consequences. And please start taking your expected proportional amount of responsibility for your dogs behavior. Those two things could save a lot of people a lot of problems. Problems that the rest of us dont need.