PDA

View Full Version : 5 of 9 people shot by gunman at IHOP were National Guard members

moderate libertarian
09-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Apparently restaurant owner next door had a gun and saw the shooter but did not engage him because shooter had an automatic rifle.

Nevada National Guard spokeswoman: 5 of 9 people shot by gunman at IHOP were Guard members

By The Associated Press

CARSON CITY, Nev. - An official says five of the nine people who were shot by a gunman at an IHOP restaurant in Nevada were members of the Nevada National Guard.

Witnesses say they saw the shooter spend about 5 minutes with the military table–seemed focused on that table.

Ralph Swagler, owner of the adjacent Locals BBQ restaurant, told the Nevada Appeal that he saw the gunman pull up in a minivan, get out and begin firing an automatic rifle at the IHOP. The gunman then reloaded and went inside, and Swagler said he heard more gunshots inside the restaurant.

Swagler said bullets fired from inside IHOP shattered windows and struck his building as well as an adjacent H&R Block office.

Swagler said he had a handgun and considered opening fire on the shooter, but he didn't want to engage a gunman who was armed with a fully automatic weapon.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/sheriffs-official-multiple-people-wounded-gunman-opens-fire-172112384.html

limequat
09-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Can't blame him, that'd be a good way to get dead.

pcosmar
09-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Apparently restaurant owner next door had a gun and saw the shooter but did not engage him because shooter had an automatic rifle.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/sheriffs-official-multiple-people-wounded-gunman-opens-fire-172112384.html

He had a rifle. there seems to be a question about it being fully auto.

I am more interested in what medication he was taking.

The shooting shocked some who knew Sencion, including Joe Laub, his lawyer in a bankruptcy filing in January 2009, who called it an “aberration of his character.”

“He's a gentle, kind man who was very helpful to friends and family,” Laub told The Associated Press. “I couldn't venture to guess what would cause him to do something as horrible as this.”

ghengis86
09-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Well, if everyone in the IHOP was packing, I'd bet the casualties would be a lot less. He had time to reload; that's time enough to end it.

I'm guessing no on the FA too, but we'll see.

AFPVet
09-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Auto or not... a pistol is never a match for a rifle; however, as ghengis mentioned, there may have been a different result had more people been armed.

Liberty_Mike
09-06-2011, 09:54 PM
RIP my fellow Nevadans. A tragic day it has been.

And I can't say I'm surprised that Laub was the guy's lawyer. From what I've heard, the Laub Brother's law firm deals with a lot of shady people.

moderate libertarian
09-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Guardsmen killed in IHOP shooting served in Iraq, Afghanistan

By Sandra Chereb Associated Press
09/07/2011 11:31:58 AM PDT

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_18843614

Don't know for sure but thought this was automatic.

Authorities say a man with an AK-47 assault rifle shot a group of five uniformed National Guard members eating breakfast Tuesday. Two other Guard members as well as another person were killed in the hail of gunfire.

Ronulus
09-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Auto or not... a pistol is never a match for a rifle; however, as ghengis mentioned, there may have been a different result had more people been armed.

A pistol can easily be a match for a rifle. It all depends on range and where you place your shots. It only takes one shot to stop that guy with the rifle.

squarepusher
09-07-2011, 02:45 PM
how about a Seal Knife?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHSXZnxLZ0I

AFPVet
09-07-2011, 03:23 PM
A pistol can easily be a match for a rifle. It all depends on range and where you place your shots. It only takes one shot to stop that guy with the rifle.

Not when he's laying down suppressive fire on you... trust me, it's easier playing armchair quarterback than facing a stream of rifle rounds. One on one, you are outgunned... it's that simple. Pistols are defensive weapons used to fight your way to a rifle... if the other guy has a rifle and knows how to lay down suppressive fire, you are done.

ghengis86
09-07-2011, 03:24 PM

Yes, but overall rifle>pistol. If you have a high percentage shot or he's reloading sure. Different tool for a different job.

Also, pistol >> unarmed. At least you have the option to protect yourself.

Any reports of medications? They said he had history of mental illness; pharmaceuticals are almost always prescribed for that.

coastie
09-07-2011, 03:28 PM

+ 10100000000

I've seen first hand how quickly these meds can completely change a person, very quickly. And even that doesn't describe how god-awful crazy it is to experience these changes, sans them opening up on you with gun.:eek:

pcosmar
09-07-2011, 03:48 PM
+ 10100000000

I've seen first hand how quickly these meds can completely change a person, very quickly. And even that doesn't describe how god-awful crazy it is to experience these changes, sans them opening up on you with gun.:eek:

It's a quick link.
http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=42434

You can find many more sources and studies with a little searching.

Yes the story does mention that he was under some kind of "psychiatric" care.
I would bet there are some Odd Chemicals in his system.

As far as I can tell,, every mass shooting has this common link.

AFPVet
09-07-2011, 03:53 PM
It's a quick link.
http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=42434

You can find many more sources and studies with a little searching.

Yes the story does mention that he was under some kind of "psychiatric" care.
I would bet there are some Odd Chemicals in his system.

As far as I can tell,, every mass shooting has this common link.

It seems that many of these shootings do have that in common. Really, all you have to do is listen to some of these commercials when they talk about side effects such as suicidal thoughts....

pcosmar
09-07-2011, 03:58 PM
It seems that many of these shooting do have that in common. Really, all you have to do is listen to some of these commercials when they talk about side effects such as suicidal thoughts....

YUP,
And if you dig deeper and into some Dark hidden history,,,

The MK Ultra Program was closely connected/involved with these same Drug companies and Research Facilities and Doctors.
It is an incredible coincidence theory.

ghengis86
09-09-2011, 12:23 PM

http://www.aol.com/2011/09/09/ihop-shooting_n_955429.html

The 32-year-old store worker who killed four people and wounded seven others at a capital city IHOP restaurant was being treated with medication for longtime mental problems, investigators said.

"It's almost as if he was a normal person who had a major psychological defect that was triggered by something," said Joe Laub, an attorney who has helped the Sencion family with legal concerns in the past.

Sencion was on medications for mental troubles, but did not have a criminal history and did not harbor a grudge against the military, Furlong said. At one point, he even considered enlisting.