PDA

View Full Version : Why would we be without government?

R3volutionJedi
09-06-2011, 04:18 PM
that is the question my us gov teacher asked the class today on our first day of school. He made references to hurricane Katrina and Irene. Then he asked, "where would we be without government?". He made fun of people who want less government by putting them in thew light of all wanting to be on a ranch like a cowboy, on their own.

So, specifically about Hurricane Katrina and Irene. Where would we be without the government???

Is there any material that digs deeper and proves Dr. Paul's argument against FEMA???

Thanks. Please reply.

CaptUSA
09-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Well, damn. It's a good thing our government stopped Katrina and Irene!

Where would we be without them?!

Matthew5
09-06-2011, 04:33 PM
So specifically, you're asking, "How would communities recover after a natural disaster?"

Rothbardian Girl
09-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Hooray for liberal American Gov teachers! My AP teacher last year was the same way. All you have to do is expose how inept FEMA was at handling Hurricane Katrina. There is literally a pile of evidence. Even liberals were criticizing its work (for most of them, most likely because Bush was in charge). FEMA is not one of the more popular programs out there; there should be a wealth of information.

It is a lot harder to argue and advocate for private charities, I've found, in front of a liberal audience, because most people can't imagine life any other way. If you don't convince them now on the effectiveness of less government, you may be able to make some inroads if you guys start talking about foreign policy, at least. It can be kind of hard to argue a point with a bunch of people trying to talk over you, too.

Just hang in there! I always found the best way to express my views to the teacher was to do it in writing whenever we had an assignment due. Good luck.

rolle
09-06-2011, 04:37 PM
You mean, how would individuals interact with each other in the absence of a parasitic entity? It's easy. They just would.

Travlyr
09-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Ron Paul talked about FEMA being $20 Billion in debt.

Cutlerzzz
09-06-2011, 04:55 PM
As Thomas Woods has more or less said, we would be lying dead in a ditch. What few of us that still lived would be working for 80 hours a week(with our children) in a mine, making $.25 dollars an hour.

Matthew5
09-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Geologist recognize that the earth dictates where people can live. So I say just add a free market approach, if people choose to live in a dangerous area, they accept the consequences.

If people want to live somewhere bad enough, they'll create technology to do it (with better construction, faster warnings, and other preventative measures). We don't need the government's help to do that. Let communities address their own needs on a local level. And stop using state equipment to build an empire overseas!

Guitarzan
09-06-2011, 05:11 PM
"Look where we are with gov't" is what I would say to him.

Harald
09-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Here is an great historical perspective.
A magazine article from March 1905: Austin, A. "Galveston, The City Reclaimed: Marvelous Recuperation Of A Town Wiped Out Four Years Ago". Pearson's Magazine XIII (3): 211–219.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Q_kaAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA211&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false

Show what happened in the aftermath of the worst hurricane in history of united states

Anti Federalist
09-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Here is an great historical perspective.
A magazine article from March 1905: Austin, A. "Galveston, The City Reclaimed: Marvelous Recuperation Of A Town Wiped Out Four Years Ago". Pearson's Magazine XIII (3): 211–219.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Q_kaAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA211&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false

Show what happened in the aftermath of the worst hurricane in history of united states

Great find. +rep

Here it is, six years after Katrina and parts of NOLA are still in shambles.

FEMA is there to make sure government goes on as before, not so much to help people.

It was created by Executive Order, (yeah, no Congress, no vote, no "law") in 1979.

To the OP, ask how the US and the people survived every single natural disaster up until 1979 without FEMA?

heavenlyboy34
09-06-2011, 06:52 PM
AF, et. al., you Doubting Thomases are clearly a threat to Established Order. To the FEMA camps with you! ;) /sarcasm

Matthew5
09-06-2011, 07:02 PM
AF, et. al., you Doubting Thomases are clearly a threat to Established Order. To the FEMA camps with you! ;) /sarcasm

haha my bad...I forgot that FEMA now refers to themselves as "our family". Can't diss family or they'll send us off to "summer camp".