PDA

View Full Version : Best Book (not authored by Ron Paul) to Convert Someone Away from Big Government?

gb13
09-06-2011, 12:39 AM
Pretty straightforward question...

if you had to pick ONE book to give to someone in the hopes that if they read it, will severely challenge their faith in big-government, what would it be?

I really want to covert my friend to our camp. He doesn't like Obama, and he's not a Democrat, but has a very unfavorable view of "Republicans", and seems to sway more to the democrats overall. He has far too much faith in government. He rightly blames corporatism for a lot of our problems (still calls it "capitalism" though), but he can't seem to grasp the fact that big-government facilitates the problem. He has said to me that the reason we're in such a mess is because the government is too weak, and the constitution limited the government TOO MUCH for it to be able to keep corporate interests from infiltrating the State. I'm chipping away at these inconsistent beliefs, started talking monetary policy, and he's receptive to our ideas, but he's still grasping at his long-held beliefs and is having a hard time letting so.

I'm really close to getting him to see eye-to-eye with me, but I need some literary help.

I'm already known to him as a "Ron Paul guy", so I'd prefer something not authored by the good doctor.

Thanks.

Nate-ForLiberty
09-06-2011, 12:47 AM
why don't you send him to some Tom Woods lectures/speeches? Might be more effective than a book.

tangent4ronpaul
09-06-2011, 12:57 AM
Something by the Judge

Austrian Econ Disciple
09-06-2011, 01:14 AM
Give him two books.

The Law by Frederic Bastiat and Triumph of Conservatism by Gabriel Kolko. It'll demolish his arguments and his worldview, and he won't have much of a response especially if he tries to attack the sources considering one was about as radically liberal as you can get, and the other was a very important New Leftist Progressive intellectual.

emazur
09-06-2011, 01:22 AM
I also like The Law. Another good one is Mary Ruwart's Healing Our World, which you can get free and legit in audio or e-book here:
http://freekeene.com/2010/10/06/world-exclusive-healing-our-world-audiobook/

Austrian Econ Disciple
09-06-2011, 01:27 AM
Well the reason why I suggested Kolko's work is because the OP's friend seems to think that regulation hurts or at least impedes Big-Businesses, when in fact it is the opposite, and the Corporations are usually, and almost always the authors and lobbyists for the regulation to curtail competition and stabilize their shares of the market. So, by him wanting a Government which is omnipresent, he serves the agenda of Big-Business and the Corporations. What they certainly do not want is laissez-faire and a Government that has no power.

MJU1983
09-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Lies the Government Told You: Myth, Power, and Deception in American History (http://www.amazon.com/Lies-Government-Told-You-Deception/dp/B0052HL1UO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315294040&sr=8-1)

Rollback: Repealing Big Government Before the Coming Fiscal Collapse (http://www.amazon.com/Rollback-Repealing-Government-Before-Collapse/dp/1596981415/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315294066&sr=1-6)

Nullification: How to Resist Federal Tyranny in the 21st Century (http://www.amazon.com/Nullification-Resist-Federal-Tyranny-Century/dp/1596981490/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315294066&sr=1-4)

33 Questions About American History You're Not Supposed to Ask (http://www.amazon.com/Questions-About-American-History-Supposed/dp/0307346692/ref=pd_sim_b_4)

The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History (http://www.amazon.com/Politically-Incorrect-Guide-American-History/dp/0895260476/ref=pd_sim_b_5)

kah13176
09-06-2011, 02:00 AM
The Law is ok, but it's not comprehensive enough, IMO.

Rothbard's For a New Liberty includes philosophy (like The Law) but also historical facts and statistics, and is adapted to modern context. I can hook you up with an audiobook for it too.

----

Milton Friedman's "Capitalism and Freedom" is good too. He has some credibility (Nobel Laureate). Furthermore, this one is much shorter than For a New Liberty. At the end, if he likes it, you can tell him that Friedman endorsed Ron Paul back in the day.

----

Economics in One lesson by Henry Hazlitt is pretty good too. I'm in the middle of reading it, so I can't give an honest, comprehensive assessment, but only give him this if you know he understands how banks and lending works, basic supply/demand, inflation, the basic Keynesian argument, etc.

CaptainAmerica
09-06-2011, 02:02 AM
A Nation of Sheep - Andrew Napolitano

the book lays out a strong preface and historical accounts of how the U.S. became what it is today and how unconstitutional the current government is.

Sola_Fide
09-06-2011, 02:06 AM
Ron Paul's former chief of staff:

http://www.trinitylectures.org/images/Freedom_Capitalism.jpg

ClayTrainor
09-06-2011, 02:44 AM
It sounds like the fundamental disagreement you're having is with regards to basic economics. If you want to give him a book that explains the very basics of economics clearly and concisely, I suggest the following...

I bought and read Peter and Andrew Schiffs Book "How an Economy Grows and Why it Crashes" on my recent vacation, and I feel so dam confident about how economies work now.

http://img.amazon.ca/images/I/51OfCY%2BdarL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU15_.jpg

The book is extremely light reading, almost like a comic book with a humerous story that satirizes bad economic ideas and reinforces very principled points about how economies work. I can't overstate how enjoyable and easy this book was to read. I'm a much bigger fan of Schiff now, having read this little masterpiece.

It's like "Economics in One Lesson" by Henry Hazlitt translated into a humerous little story.

TrentEmberson
09-06-2011, 02:55 AM
I wouldn't use any non-fiction at the outset of a libertarian conversion. How about a story that leads the reader into despising the state rather than a manifesto of why the writer despises the state?

For me anyway, I knew I hated Javert (or Big Brother, or Jack from Lord of the Flies, or Sauron, or Voldemort) long before I knew, or even cared, what a libertarian was. But it was stories like those that instilled libertarianism in my head before I even knew what it was, so by the time I heard my first Ron Paul speech, the entire philosophy came into focus all at once. It just clicked, I didn't even have to think about it. I knew right away because I'd been making the same arguments myself (albeit in a much more muddled way.) I really wasn't ready for Mises and Co. until after the light went on in my head. Ron Paul flipped the light switch, but Victor Hugo supplied the electricity.

Ronpauljones
09-06-2011, 03:27 AM
A Nation of Sheep - Andrew Napolitano

the book lays out a strong preface and historical accounts of how the U.S. became what it is today and how unconstitutional the current government is.

Judge Napolitano. Future Supreme Court Justice.

Bordillo
09-06-2011, 03:28 AM
Capitalism and Freedom

Milton Friedman

CaptainAmerica
09-06-2011, 03:55 AM
Judge Napolitano. Future Supreme Court Justice. I've thought about that but I kind of lean towards having him as a vice president for now.

Rael
09-06-2011, 04:12 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AGC73Z14L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Pennsylvania
09-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Rothbard's For a New Liberty includes philosophy (like The Law) but also historical facts and statistics, and is adapted to modern context. I can hook you up with an audiobook for it too.

Seconded

Knightskye
09-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Is this for a progressive or a conservative?

Something by the Judge

This could work for either. Something like his book written during the Bush administration about the government breaking its own laws.

acptulsa
09-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Aldous Huxley's A Brave New World and George Orwell's Animal Farm come to mind...

crhoades
09-06-2011, 09:06 AM
The Law by Bastiat. It is very short and can be read in one sitting. Also can be found online for free. If they are willing to read it, then discuss it, then you can slip them a more meaty tome.

Of course I'd like to say, "Man, Economy, and State" by Rothbard but we have to remember most people aren't wonks. Start with the Law...Then I would possibly give them Liberty Defined or Revolution a manifesto to chew on. I know it is by the good Dr. but I don't think it would hurt.

cucucachu0000
09-06-2011, 09:20 AM
What got me totally intt this movement was atlas shrugged. Its long I know but I came out of it with a whole new aspect on life. And send him videos of yaron brooks debates and speeches he's great helped me put everything together in my head.

Wesker1982
09-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Economics in One Lesson imo

wannaberocker
09-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell.

gb13
09-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate all the input. I've read some of those, and many have made the shortlist of books I was considering to give to him. I was also considering The Road to Serfdom, but I'm not sure if it would be the best introductory book of that nature. What do you guys think of that one?

JamesButabi
09-06-2011, 11:27 AM
The Market for Liberty

Can actually download PDF or audiobook for free at
book.freekeene.com

BuddyRey
09-06-2011, 02:23 PM
As far as books go, I think the one that had the biggest impact on me was No Treason by Lysander Spooner. It's a very short book too, so it makes a great easy, non-threatening "ice-breaker" to lend to friends who might be interested in hearing a brief, punchy libertarian "pitch." In fact, my copy is lent out to a friend right now! :)

dejavu22
09-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Ill be honest the book that got me into this hasnt been listed yet. For me it started with "The Road to Serfdom" and then i moved on to "Atlas Shrugged" and then i started reading Mises, Rothbard, Friedman, Woods and Napolitano. But I think von Hayek is a good entry point.

gb13
09-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Ill be honest the book that got me into this hasnt been listed yet. For me it started with "The Road to Serfdom" and then i moved on to "Atlas Shrugged" and then i started reading Mises, Rothbard, Friedman, Woods and Napolitano. But I think von Hayek is a good entry point.

Yeah, see my post a couple above yours.. I was just asking about The Road to Serfdom. I think it's a fantastic read, but I was wondering if it would be good as an introduction... I like some of the other suggestions. I haven't read all of those though, and I'd definitely want to give him something I have personally read.

TNforPaul45
09-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Human Action

gb13
09-07-2011, 02:01 PM
That's Mises, right? Never read it, but do you think it might be too academic for an introduction?

Jingles
09-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Pretty much anything by Tom Woods or Murray Rothbard.

LibForestPaul
09-07-2011, 05:35 PM
books? who the hell reads, how about a youtube video or something?
Molyneax dude?

SilentBull
09-07-2011, 05:37 PM
"Why Government Doesn't Work" by Harry Browne

Buchananite
09-07-2011, 05:42 PM
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/dd/63/507b793509a01b57bde32110.L.jpg