PDA

View Full Version : USDA Seizes Woman’s Lemon Tree

sailingaway
09-05-2011, 11:36 AM
http://www.truthistreason.net/usda-seizes-womans-lemon-tree?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=TwitterUpdates

Anti Federalist
09-05-2011, 11:40 AM
“I just hope the USDA is correct in that these (replacement trees) are now compliant, and I don’t have them show up again in three years,” Donovan said. “I’ll be on a citrus watch list.”

There's that fucking word again.

"Lemon tree? No, that tree died the first year I planted it, froze in the winter. Good bye".

heavenlyboy34
09-05-2011, 11:45 AM
This kind of thing is why I have so little hope that most people will try to throw off the shackles of tyrannical government anytime soon. Blindly obeying orders is now more virtuous than questioning illegitimate authority. :(

Anti Federalist
09-05-2011, 11:54 AM
This kind of thing is why I have so little hope that most people will try to throw off the shackles of tyrannical government anytime soon. Blindly obeying orders is now more virtuous than questioning illegitimate authority. :(

I share your lack of hope.

I swear, if government told everybody that they would be going house to house to kill every young boy, like King Herod of old, most would passively comply, turning their own offspring over to the state for murder.

"It's the law, what are you going to do?"

Seraphim
09-05-2011, 12:00 PM
For ze greta gooood!

i share your lack of hope.

I swear, if government told everybody that they would be going house to house to kill every young boy, like king herod of old, most would passively comply, turning their own offspring over to the state for murder.

"it's the law, what are you going to do?"

Dr.3D
09-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Bridget Donovan bought the tree online for $70 nearly three years ago and planted it in the yard of her Waukesha home, where she and her niece nurtured it, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported.

It grew and yielded lemons and seemed to be healthy.

Then she got a letter from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

“Unfortunately, Meyer Lemon Tree (the seller) shipped your tree in violation of multiple quarantine laws enacted to prevent the spread of harmful plant diseases and pests,” the letter stated.

Seems like a three year quarantine would have been excessive. Was the tree tested to see if it had passed the three year quarantine it was subjected to in Ms. Donovan's yard? If not, then it would seem it was illegally seized.

Proph
09-05-2011, 12:17 PM

Some people have no idea they can refuse to comply and take it to court.

When I was in highschool, I was charged with a hit and run that I didn't commit. After the cops filled out the report, I believe my options were to either sign the paper saying I did it or to go down to the station with them. I didn't know better at the time, and unfortunately signed (willingly) that fucking piece of paper. I eventually got it cleared, but I wish I would have handled that situation differently.

amy31416
09-05-2011, 12:21 PM
There's that fucking word again.

"Lemon tree? No, that tree died the first year I planted it, froze in the winter. Good bye".

Seriously.

And she received the notice via letter, she had time to think about it and still complied.

ETA: Glad to note that the author of the article pointed out that every non-cash purchase you make is tracked. That also bothered me.

Napoleon's Shadow
09-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Is there a link to a more reputable news site out there about this story?

pcosmar
09-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Is there a link to a more reputable news site out there about this story?

NO.
But if you have Google on your computer you can find several other sources.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/128715848.html
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2011/08/31/Feds-take-womans-lemon-tree/UPI-89851314818657
http://consumerist.com/2011/08/scofflaw-lemon-tree-escapes-florida-causes-interstate-incident.html

GunnyFreedom
09-05-2011, 01:11 PM
First they came for your lemonade stands, then they came for your lemon trees. When they come for you, who will be left to speak out?

I'll be Facebooking one of the "more reputable" sources pcosmar listed. I love indy media, but I have to do the politics thing...

Golding
09-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Is there a link to a more reputable news site out there about this story?LOL.
I'm curious what's a "reputable news site".

GunnyFreedom
09-05-2011, 01:35 PM
LOL.

One that you can share with the average voter without geting dismissed out of hand without even a cursory glance. It's not at all about the quality of what they report, it's all about popular perception and reaching out to educate the people ignorant of what our country is becoming / has become.

pcosmar
09-05-2011, 01:35 PM
LOL.

That was my thought.

Though a BAD reputation is still a reputation.

pcosmar
09-05-2011, 01:39 PM
I was living in South Florida during the citrus purge. This shit does not surprise me at all.
They pretty much wiped out private ownership of citrus trees.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2008/0505/p02s04-usju.html
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/money/citrus-trees-killed-in-palm-beach-county-were-1290947.html?sort=desc

GunnyFreedom
09-05-2011, 01:44 PM
That was my thought.

Though a BAD reputation is still a reputation.

Like I said, it has literally nothing to do with the sources quality, but rather the source's popular perception. It does little good to generate hours of labor sharing a story if 95% of the people who encounter it just dismiss it without even bothering to look at it.

The sword is even double-edged when it comes to people like me sharing such articles. Even if it's 100% true, a popular perception that I truck with "fringe" news can hurt me in 2012. It's like how National Enquirer broke the John Edwards thing in 2008, people do know that true stores can break there, but try posting a National Enquirer story as straight news and see how far that gets.

Not saying that "truthistreason" is equivalent to National Enquirer at all, people like Napoleon and I are more focused on turning sleeping sheeple onto the red pill. If your target market is mostly the awakened, then by all means go for the OP link.

moderate libertarian
09-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Why is that it's always lemons or lemonade stands being siezed ? Does big brother have a fascination with all things lemons.

It would be nice for a change if someone's apple cart or orange juice bar were siezed by big brother. Sorry couldn't help it :)

A Son of Liberty
09-05-2011, 03:43 PM
One that you can share with the average voter without geting dismissed out of hand without even a cursory glance. It's not at all about the quality of what they report, it's all about popular perception and reaching out to educate the people ignorant of what our country is becoming / has become.

:thumbs:

This was going to be my question as well. I'd like to post it on facebook, but I'd like for people to actually read it, rather than receive "LOL truthistreason!?!?11!>" comments in return.

Nothing against truthistreason... it's just that people tend to be knuckleheads until they're aware of what's going on...

pcosmar
09-05-2011, 04:09 PM
:thumbs:

Nothing against truthistreason...

"Truth is Treason in an Empire of Lies"

But when I see that website I always see,,
truth history reason

But is does suck having the 4th amendment and emanate domain so abused.

pcosmar
09-05-2011, 04:12 PM
It would be nice for a change if someone's apple cart or orange juice bar were siezed by big brother. Sorry couldn't help it :)

You upset Apple Carts,,, and it was Big Sister (Anita Bryant) that went after Orange Juice.

DamianTV
09-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Hayden’s Note:

And you think your gold purchases aren’t tracked, noted and analysed? You think your Amazon and eBay purchases aren’t carefully monitored for suspicious patterns and items?

They have a point.

OrigSEOH
09-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Q: Can you ship to my state?
A: We can ship throughout the lower 48 United States, except for Arizona. Each citrus producing state prohibits importation of citrus trees from other areas. However, we have vendors throughout the country so we can ship CA, FL, LA, TX!!

http://meyerlemontree.com/Lemontreeorderbig.html

I want one...

tfurrh
09-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Sounds like a bad Led Zeppelin song (if there is such a thing)

specsaregood
09-06-2011, 09:07 AM
./

oyarde
09-06-2011, 09:15 AM
I would just steal it back , maybe pick up an orange and or lime tree (s) for my trouble .

A Son of Liberty
09-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Yeah, I remember just after hurricane charlie I was surprised one day to see somebody walking around my backyard in the middle of the day. Unsupervised, no permission given, no knock on my door. I went out there and the woman was looking at my trees. (house had 2 x25yr old orange and 1 25yr old grapefruit and big ass producers). I asked them wtf her what she was doing and she said she was from the USDA and was inspecting my citrus trees for the disease. They were worried the hurricanes had spread it. I asked her why she didn't knock on my door and ask for permission and she said, "I have the authority to come on any property with citrus trees."

I'm afraid I'd come completely unglued.

oyarde
09-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I remember just after hurricane charlie I was surprised one day to see somebody walking around my backyard in the middle of the day. Unsupervised, no permission given, no knock on my door. I went out there and the woman was looking at my trees. (house had 2 x25yr old orange and 1 25yr old grapefruit and big ass producers). I asked them wtf her what she was doing and she said she was from the USDA and was inspecting my citrus trees for the disease. They were worried the hurricanes had spread it. I asked her why she didn't knock on my door and ask for permission and she said, "I have the authority to come on any property with citrus trees." Anyways, my trees were uninfected and they didn't come back for them. The thing that really pissed me off about this disease is this:

The destroyed thousands of backyard trees, that produced food for their owners over a disease that does not kill trees or damage the fruit. It was all about asthetics and eliminating a disease that made it harder for citrus growers to sell fruit because it didn't look picture perfect. efffed up that is. I love Grapefruit juice !

specsaregood
09-06-2011, 09:44 AM
//

Bosco Warden
09-06-2011, 09:45 AM
I dont get it, it say the article was published Sept, 9th 2011, but today is only the 6th and this post was done yesterday.

What the fuck.

Is this some auto gen article crap that just spews articles across the web on multiple sites.

OrigSEOH
09-06-2011, 10:00 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/128715848.html
How about that?

I dont get it, it say the article was published Sept, 9th 2011, but today is only the 6th and this post was done yesterday.

What the fuck.

Is this some auto gen article crap that just spews articles across the web on multiple sites.

Bosco Warden
09-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Thank you, I always look for validity with these articles since I tend to report them elsewhere. I know it would have been picked up, and then discredited for that reason so.....

Bosco Warden
09-06-2011, 10:17 AM
WOW, I cant edit my post, I repost these articles, not report them, and people are just that stupid. So thanks again.

HOLLYWOOD
09-06-2011, 11:11 AM
About time .gov cracked their whips! We need the accomplices (Lemon Trees) brought to justce... they're the ones that are causing all these illegal Lemonade Stands to Pop Up across the country! War Against Citrus, we'll get those private dealers...

Kylie
09-06-2011, 11:25 AM
About time .gov cracked their whips! We need the accomplices (Lemon Trees) brought to justce... they're the ones that are causing all these illegal Lemonade Stands to Pop Up across the country! War Against Citrus, we'll get those private dealers...

:D

angelatc
09-06-2011, 11:58 AM

Yep. We'll never win the war against lemonade if we don't get to the root of the matter.

enjerth
10-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Update (kind of).

Don't buy on ebay.

I just had 2 potted asian lime trees confiscated we bought this spring. USDA stopped by the house and the wife was too scared to do anything except turn the trees over.

In Nebraska.

BuddyRey
10-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Update (kind of).

Don't buy on ebay.

I just had 2 potted asian lime trees confiscated we bought this spring. USDA stopped by the house and the wife was too scared to do anything except turn the trees over.

In Nebraska.

Outrageous! What was the pretext or excuse they gave for stealing your tree from you (that is, presuming they gave you one)?

Czolgosz
10-27-2011, 04:56 PM
More people would stand their ground if they had support.

We need a coalition to fight this war.

ronpaulitician
10-27-2011, 04:58 PM
At least now we don't have to worry about spending money on law enforcement to arrest her daughter for selling bootleg lemonade.

TNforPaul45
10-27-2011, 04:58 PM

I swear, if government told everybody that they would be going house to house to kill every young boy, like King Herod of old, most would passively comply, turning their own offspring over to the state for murder.

AF i had someone tell me that today, that its "legal" when cops beat protestors. And that makes it ok. Truer words of yours were never spoken.

DamianTV
10-27-2011, 05:03 PM

Totally agree. +Rep!

Blind Obedience is one of the Real Powers of the Government. By themselves, politicians, banksters, war mongers and any sort of Criminals in Charge of anything depend completely on the Chain of Obedience, not because by themselves they have any more potential to be any more threatening than the people they are giving orders to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NcLNoxiPBk

donnay
10-27-2011, 05:06 PM
I have dwarf lemon tree and a dwarf banana tree. They stay indoors and grow fruit, it's great!

http://lemoncitrustree.com/meyer_lemon.html?gclid=CI6634f8iawCFQyn7QodOiXQqg
http://www.bananaplants.net/bananaplants.html

pcosmar
10-27-2011, 05:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3FSRW2qFjM

BuddyRey
10-27-2011, 05:15 PM
I say we all start ordering fruit trees online en masse. Feck it, they can't bring us all down.

HOLLYWOOD
10-27-2011, 05:28 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/mzcmdr/Lemon_Heart.png

BuddyRey
10-27-2011, 05:40 PM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n185/Buddy-Rey/ComeandTakeThem.jpg

enjerth
10-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Outrageous! What was the pretext or excuse they gave for stealing your tree from you (that is, presuming they gave you one)?

The seller was from Georgia and there's a quarantine on Asian citrus from Georgia. The seller did not have the trees properly inspected before sale.

enjerth
10-27-2011, 06:16 PM
I say we all start ordering fruit trees online en masse. Feck it, they can't bring us all down.

That might be a good idea. :D

Although, from what I read, they may fine me if I knowingly do it again.

Anti Federalist
10-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Update (kind of).

Don't buy on ebay.

In Nebraska.

Gives you an idea how tight the surveillance grid is, doesn't it?

Substitute "asian lime trees" for "ammo". Or "subversive books". Or...

Anti Federalist
10-27-2011, 06:54 PM
AF i had someone tell me that today, that its "legal" when cops beat protestors. And that makes it ok. Truer words of yours were never spoken.

And when the times comes, that person will turn you in, in a heartbeat.

Kylie
10-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Gives you an idea how tight the surveillance grid is, doesn't it?

Substitute "asian lime trees" for "ammo". Or "subversive books". Or...

Ugh. You're right. Again.

And people wonder why I drink. It's because I know that it's all wrapped up tight, now they just need that trigger.

And then it's game on, and we are the prey.

:(

Working Poor
10-27-2011, 08:00 PM
I was living in South Florida during the citrus purge. This shit does not surprise me at all.
They pretty much wiped out private ownership of citrus trees.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2008/0505/p02s04-usju.html
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/money/citrus-trees-killed-in-palm-beach-county-were-1290947.html?sort=desc

I remember that well and the media kept it very quite. GMO citrus is what we have now. Monsanto lemon aide yuck.

Bordillo
10-27-2011, 08:03 PM
The problem is that everybody preaches non-violence. Im sorry but if you really want to change something as deep seeded as corruption, you need to mercilessly kill a lot of people. I remember we did a whole 2 months of history on MLK jr and Ghandi. Wheres my 2 months on Daniel Shays?

cindy25
10-27-2011, 08:21 PM

already been done, by FDR in WWII; you got a blue star when they forced your son into the military, and a gold star when they died.

and there were stars in nearly every window, and clubs for the star households, and the idiots still voted FDR.

amy31416
10-27-2011, 11:18 PM
I have dwarf lemon tree and a dwarf banana tree. They stay indoors and grow fruit, it's great!

http://lemoncitrustree.com/meyer_lemon.html?gclid=CI6634f8iawCFQyn7QodOiXQqg
http://www.bananaplants.net/bananaplants.html

Those trees are in my future. Thanks. :)

Warrior_of_Freedom
10-27-2011, 11:59 PM
It looks like they are trying to stop lemonade stands at the root of the problem :D

cindy25
10-28-2011, 01:30 AM
the former owner of the Lemon tree was stupid; when the letter first arrived (and I doubt the first letter was registered) she should have dug it up, moved it to a safe place, and then wait for the registered letter or visit.

this is not new; in 1933 FDR ordered gold coins and gold certificates to be turned in. for gold certificates there was no numismatic
exception. most sheeple followed FDR, when common sense said FDR would never know.

TNforPaul45
10-28-2011, 11:30 PM
And when the times comes, that person will turn you in, in a heartbeat.

Precisely what I am afraid of. . .