PDA

View Full Version : What government regulations from Obama are hurting the economy?

ForLiberty2012
09-05-2011, 10:11 AM
I've read several articles where they talk about the regulations, and the GOP candidates are taking stabs at them as well, but I've never heard of any specific regulation and why is isn't benefiting the economy? Anyone know of any? I need some ammo to combat Obama supporters! Thanks!

Icymudpuppy
09-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Obama Care is a big one.

The Food Modernization and Safety Act is another.

Those are just two congressional acts.

Now, there are also the Bureaucratic regs from the EPA and Traffic Safety, and USDOT that are not voted on, but which cripple our transportation and affordable energy industries.

ForLiberty2012
09-05-2011, 10:42 AM
The Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection act:

"The bureaucrats and technocrats cannot get the rules written and can't possibly manage the vast and roiling markets over which they now rule.

They cannot—at least not successfully. And a principal reason is that their colossal regulatory edifice teeters on the faulty premise that the economic crisis was a consequence of too little regulation—as opposed to misguided housing policies and twisted tax and regulatory incentives. Thus, Dodd–Frank and its 243 separate rulemakings (by 11 different federal agencies) are an ill-conceived attempt to reduce financial risk by constraining banks, credit unions, mortgage brokers, investors, accountants, and myriad other financial products and services."

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2011/07/dodd-frank-wall-street-reform-and-consumer-act-one-year-later

Acala
09-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Government regulations flow out of DC like a river. Go check out the Federal Register. They publish a magazine full of new regulations every WEEK! It would literally be impossible for any human to keep track of all of it. But here are just a couple:

The FAA now requires ultralight aircraft to be licensed. Result? Enormous increase in cost pricing many people out of the hobby and putting manufacturers out of business.

EPA issued new regs on stationary diesel engines so now a small diesel engine suitable for running a generator or mill for an off-grid living situation costs $3000 instead of $500

FDA banned red rice yeast containing naturally occurring statins (from whence big pharma copped the statin drug formula). Want to try and manage your cholesterol with an effective herbal remedy for a few bucks? Tough. Go pay your doctor for the right to go pay big pharma for a drug that is probably not as safe but costs a hell of a lot more than the natural remedy.

Anyone with any experience in any industry could list them off.

However, I don't think the trend is any different than it has been under prior administrations. In other words, you could list the same number of stupid, expensive, liberty-stealing regulations under Dubya.