PDA

View Full Version : NewsMax: FEMA Disaster Grants Open to Corruption, by Doug Wead

sailingaway
09-05-2011, 10:10 AM
http://www.newsmax.com/DougWead/fema-hurricane-irene-dan/2011/09/05/id/409772

Travlyr
09-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Get Rick Perry's Best-Seller
‘Fed Up! Our Fight to Save America from Washington’
FREE OFFER!

"It's a book about Rick Perry's ideas. And his big idea is that most everything the federal government does is unconstitutional. . . . [Perry's book] is big, bold, and, to borrow a word that was once associated with our current commander-in-chief, audacious."

—The Washington Post
Texas Gov. Rick Perry's recent book is shooting to the top of the best-seller lists, as the new presidential contender skyrockets to the top of GOP 2012 presidential field.

Perry may well become the Republican presidential nominee and the man who defeats Obama to become our next president.

But do you really know Rick Perry — the real Rick Perry?

Now you can cut through the media spin and find out for yourself, by getting your copy of his book FREE with Newsmax's incredible special offer.

Subscribe to Newsmax magazine at the low annual rate of just $39.95, and we'll send you Rick Perry's new book "Fed Up! Our Fight to Save America from Washington" at no additional cost!

This book costs almost $22 — and we'll not only send it you free, we'll even cover shipping, giving you a total free value of almost $28!

Plus you get 12 great issues of Newsmax magazine!

You need to get Rick Perry's "Fed Up!" and find out what he really believes:

Why he believes Obama's "progressive" agenda is wrecking America
How he would dismantle Obamacare and put healthcare back in the hands of states and citizens
Why he believes many federal programs are simply unconstitutional
How the Dodd-Frank finance law signed by Obama is strangling the economy
The dangers of educational policy being set by Washington and not parents and communities
Al Gore's global warming is not only nutty, it's a fraud!
His take on gun rights, abortion, gay marriage, and so much more!
Get informed about the Texan taking America by storm — the man who angers the liberal media and will soon be the focus of the Obama White House's attacks!

IDefendThePlatform
09-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Tweeted. +rep

LibertyEagle
09-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Uh huh, Travlyr, and Perry is running away from statements he made in that book as fast as he can. :) And the article SailingAway posted is explaining Paul's stance on FEMA. It's all good.

LibertyEagle
09-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Hurricane Irene is the most expensive natural disaster in American history, topping $20 billion.

Huh? Wasn't Katrina leaps and bounds more expensive?

sailingaway
09-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Huh? Wasn't Katrina leaps and bounds more expensive?

something is more expensive if you spend more. Obama spent tons. And inflation.....

LibertyEagle
09-05-2011, 11:50 AM
something is more expensive if you spend more. Obama spent tons. And inflation.....

Smartass. :p Yes, I realize that. It's just amazing to me that more was spent on a Cat 1 storm than the devastation that was Katrina. But, then again, I am quite sure more donors live in Connecticut.

sailingaway
09-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Smartass. :p Yes, I realize that. It's just amazing to me that more was spent on a Cat 1 storm than the devastation that was Katrina. But, then again, I am quite sure more donors live in Connecticut.

They never said 'most devastating', just 'most expensive'.

Sounds like poor management, to me....

asurfaholic
09-05-2011, 12:07 PM
I've got to notate *from disaster zone* from irene. I live in new bern nc, we had power outages, some trees down, some flooding. This was not a major event.

But unlike past, stronger, hurricanes - I noticed several things different. Biggest thing I saw was an entire parking lot filled up with big trucks that had "EDS - Emergency Disaster Services". There had to have been at least 20 of those things...semi trailors. And at all times of the day there were men sitting around outside the trailers in chairs, obviously in no major hurry. I never saw any other companies other than local service companies doing any repair work. The city electric and progress energy handled the power outages, the local electricians handled the smaller service repairs. Local contruction and handyman services, tree removal services, cable and telephone services all were busy taking care of things. I still today have no idea what their scope of work was. Everything is pretty much back to normal now and they left on friday to return to god knows where...

I suspect that they collected huge sums of money just by being here, based on they high shine look of everything they had, but question if they needed to be here at all. I would love to learn about what they did, and how much they got paid to do it, but my gut tells me that I could never be granted such privledged info. Maybe some. Investigative journalism could shed some light.

Next thing I noticed was the instant police state situation that came of the situation. There was a curfew for 6 pm for the county, and most of the area had very minimal damage.. only structural damage occured of a tree fell on a house, or flimsy structures tossed about. There was no need for a curfew, yet the government was instantly attempting to gain control. How much money went to this little project?

I also have to wonder, just where is the 10b in damages they claim? I know a couple roads washed out in low washout prone areas, but what else?

Is this simply a case of "I spent $500 to fix a $3 problem. Therefore total damages are 500?"