PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Supporter writes the book on How to Buy American

bobbyw24
09-04-2011, 06:10 PM
There's a renewed push to purchase U.S.-made goods in a bad economy
http://cmsimg.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=A9&Date=20110904&Category=BUSINESS&ArtNo=110902023&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Brevard-man-wants-you-buy-American

Roger Simmermaker walks the walk when it comes to buying U.S.-made products, and that walk often is made in New Balance shoes.

New Balance is one of the few American manufacturers of athletic shoes, so it only makes sense that the 46-year-old Simmermaker, author of “How Americans Can Buy American,” wears that brand.

With Labor Day coming on Monday, a U.S. unemployment rate of 9.1 percent and a creeping dread about the economy, Simmermaker is part of a renewed movement to persuade American consumers to buy products made in the U.S. to advance economic growth and keep people working.

For too long, movement leaders say, consumers have ignored where products are made and simply chased what they believe is the most inexpensive price — ultimately enriching countries such as China and keeping workers there employed.

“It’s important to understand that workers in China don’t pay taxes to America,” Simmermaker said. “Only American workers do. And American companies typically pay twice as much in taxes to the U.S. Treasury compared with foreign-owned companies.”

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20110904/BUSINESS/110902023/Brevard-man-wants-you-buy-American

MRK
09-04-2011, 06:40 PM
"electronics technician at Lockheed Martin"

Page 1 of book on How to Buy American:

Get a job working for the military industrial complex. Your buying power will be unparalleled among the masses.

Only buy goods that have stickers that say "Made in the USA." A list of such providers is supplied in the references.

End

Ok, that was just a joke I felt was safe to make having worked for municipal government before. But, where in the article does it say he's a Paul supporter? I take it you have met the guy?

Austrian Econ Disciple
09-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Yep. Stop buying all those foreign-made products like Chevy and GM, and start buying American made goods like Toyota and Honda. These people crack me up. I bet they know absolutely nothing about which they speak of.

specsaregood
09-04-2011, 06:51 PM
//

low preference guy
09-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Funny that RP didn't care that the shirts for his own campaign were made in Honduras. "The market should decide" -Dr. Paul

Nate-ForLiberty
09-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Get rid of high taxes and regulation, and the whole world will buy American.

specsaregood
09-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Funny that RP didn't care that the shirts for his own campaign were made in Honduras. "The market should decide" -Dr. Paul

And if the market decides they want to demand American made products, I'm sure the campaign would provide them.

low preference guy
09-04-2011, 06:58 PM
And if the market decides they want to demand American made products, I'm sure the campaign would provide them.

It would be a nice experiment to put two products to buy next to each other.

Made in Honduras: $4
Made in America: $6

with whatever numbers are accurate

bobbyw24
09-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Ok, that was just a joke I felt was safe to make having worked for municipal government before. But, where in the article does it say he's a Paul supporter? I take it you have met the guy?

Yes

Anti Federalist
09-04-2011, 06:59 PM
I very much am in favor of the idea, even though I could poke holes in the messenger.

But as somebody already noted, and as much as I'd like to think it true, I never read where he was a Ron Paul person.

ETA - Ah, I see now, question answered.

Awesome.

specsaregood
09-04-2011, 07:01 PM
It would be a nice experiment to put two products to buy next to each other.

Made in Honduras: $4
Made in America: $6

with whatever numbers are accurate

cafepress usually has a USA option. whenever I have the option and the price difference is "reasonable", I opt for the USA version.

bobbyw24
09-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Video at:

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/money/051011-made-in-america-whats-in-your-refrigerator

Southron
09-04-2011, 07:19 PM
I have his book. Good stuff. :)

heavenlyboy34
09-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Yep. Stop buying all those foreign-made products like Chevy and GM, and start buying American made goods like Toyota and Honda. These people crack me up. I bet they know absolutely nothing about which they speak of.:D lolz

bobbyw24
09-05-2011, 08:46 AM
I have his book. Good stuff. :)

I will have to check it out

Jeremy
09-05-2011, 08:48 AM
I proudly buy what is cheapest and the best quality. I don't consider what country it was made in.

bobbyw24
09-05-2011, 08:52 AM
We need a poll

Tod
09-05-2011, 09:27 AM
A while back I bought some ball caps to promote my business. The local company offered a variety of brands and the nice Chinese hats cost exactly half of what the nice American hats sold for. I bought the American hats and left the "Made in America" tags on when I gave them to customers. Invariably, my customers commented on the fact that they were made in America.

Tod

A Son of Liberty
09-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Quality and price are my two main concerns when making a purchase. I won't subsidize an inferior product just because it's an American company.

Wesker1982
09-05-2011, 10:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnXpTNdVrHc

specsaregood
09-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Quality and price are my two main concerns when making a purchase. I won't subsidize an inferior product just because it's an American company.

Of course the price is only lower because our fiat currency is accepted as the world reserve currency; primarily because of OPEC and our military power. Exchange rates are thus artifically lower. So in a way, when you buy the less expensive foreign good, it is only "less" because of all the money we spent on military engagements, wars over oil and the fact that we have an unlimited credit card -- currently. What you aren't seeing is all the hidden costs being added onto our national debt and onto all of our backs. In a way, you are socializing your savings and sticking the bill to everybody else and the future generations.

green73
09-05-2011, 11:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnXpTNdVrHc

Good stuff!

A Son of Liberty
09-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Of course the price is only lower because our fiat currency is accepted as the world reserve currency; primarily because of OPEC and our military power. Exchange rates are thus artifically lower. So in a way, when you buy the less expensive foreign good, it is only "less" because of all the money we spent on military engagements, wars over oil and the fact that we have an unlimited credit card -- currently. What you aren't seeing is all the hidden costs being added onto our national debt and onto all of our backs. In a way, you are socializing your savings and sticking the bill to everybody else and the future generations.

First, I said price and quality.

Second, if I choose the lower priced good, and it happens to be foreign made, I'm making a simple economic calculation.

Fiat currency and a coercive foreign policy are foisted upon me as much as manufacturer.

Southron
09-05-2011, 01:30 PM
I typically try and seek out items made in the U.S. by American companies first and go from there. If I have the choice between an item made in China by an American company or a foreign one I will generally choose the U.S. company item barring quality issues.

Local manufacturers are also a priority.

specsaregood
09-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Fiat currency and a coercive foreign policy are foisted upon me as much as manufacturer.

Fair enough, hate the game, not the player and all that jazz.

A Son of Liberty
09-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Fair enough, hate the game, not the player and all that jazz.

:thumbs: lol That's exactly it. We're all stuck with it, so at the end of the day it boils down to economic calculation.

For the record, when it comes to food, for instance, I seek out locally produced meats and produce, at almost any expense. This, too, is economic calculation on my part - I consider it efficacious on a number of levels.