PDA

View Full Version : Why Did the Media Change the Partisan "Color-Coding" System a Few Years Ago?

BuddyRey
09-04-2011, 03:29 PM
I guess I'm dating myself here, but I vividly remember watching the returns during the '96 elections when I was a kid, and the partisan color coding scheme was precisely the reverse of what it is today; blue states were Republican and red states were Democratic. Not that it matters a whole heck of a lot, but does anyone know why they changed it? I imagine the change was instituted because Democrats felt jilted at being labelled "red" when the color has traditionally symbolized radical, Marxist, or Communist political movements.

libertybrewcity
09-04-2011, 03:51 PM
There are now only two levels:

http://www.cbsnews.com/i/tim/2011/04/20/es_0420_TERROR_ALERT_480x360.jpg

Getting rid of the original system has nothing to do with colors and partisan associations. It has to do with keeping the people in a constant state of fear.

Corydoras
09-04-2011, 03:52 PM
I think it was because of an article in The New Republic by, I think, David Brooks (possibly Michael Kinsley but I think it was Brooks) drawing a distinction between "Blue America" (blue-blooded Volvo-driving liberal) and "Red America" (red-blooded gun-clutching conservatives).

BuddyRey
09-04-2011, 05:28 PM
I think it was because of an article in The New Republic by, I think, David Brooks (possibly Michael Kinsley but I think it was Brooks) drawing a distinction between "Blue America" (blue-blooded Volvo-driving liberal) and "Red America" (red-blooded gun-clutching conservatives).

That makes sense. I still wonder though if the change wasn't a bit of a capitulation to Democrats. After all, red is a color with radical connotations, but also emotional connotations as the color of danger, fear, anger, etc. Or, an even more ominous thought; what if these subtle psychological cues did not escape the people who rearranged the system, but were directly, consciously sought and exploited for that very purpose?

Staupostek
09-04-2011, 05:39 PM
I noticed this also. I have been watching election results since the 80's and Republicans were always blue and Democrats were always red. I noticed the reversal of this several elections ago, but never thought about asking anyone about it. Thanks for asking on here.