PDA

View Full Version : The Police State Is a Symptom of Our Laziness / Wanting Others to Solve Problems?

AGRP
09-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Loud music

Skaters ruining property

Mowing at 4 am

Parties

Domestic violence

etc.

All of these things can be solved without the police state. Can we not talk in a civil matter? For example, there was a group of skateboarders doing tricks on a nice bench around a year ago. I knew others saw them and it was obvious they were ruining it, but no one had the balls to say something. So, I walked up to one of them and explained what they were doing and there was a skate park in town they could go to. I said I didn't mind them, just do it on something that isn't so nice. He was somewhat displeased, but I never did see them there again after that day.

Problem solved without beckoning tyrants.

ghengis86
09-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Agreed. We had cars flying down a street with small children. We'd flag the drivers down (usually kids going to and old trailhead to makeout, smoke, whatever)'and explain that a lot of kids ride bikes and play around the neighborhood so they should slow down. We even told them, "we're not going to call the cops, but we'd really appreciate it if you took it easy down the street.".

What a surprise, they go down the street more slowly!
(one neighbors first comment was, "we should call the cops and have them run more patrols down here.". I calmly explained that calling the cops and having them around more often is not a good thing. We can handle our own business)

squarepusher
09-04-2011, 12:23 PM
true, I agree that we the public should take a greater responsibility.

AGRP
09-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Agreed. We had cars flying down a street with small children. We'd flag the drivers down (usually kids going to and old trailhead to makeout, smoke, whatever)'and explain that a lot of kids ride bikes and play around the neighborhood so they should slow down. We even told them, "we're not going to call the cops, but we'd really appreciate it if you took it easy down the street.".

(one neighbors first comment was, "we should call the cops and have them run more patrols down here.". I calmly explained that calling the cops and having them around more often is not a good thing. We can handle our own business)

Or even create a sign for everyone.

There's a funny / cute sign here in town about slowing down. I slow down to read it for a laugh every time I pass it.

coastie
09-04-2011, 12:52 PM

We have this issue on my street, but it's basically a huge circle. Either way, we have kids, dogs, etc, the speed limit is 15 mph, and people fly down the straight parts of the "circle" at 35 +, and around the corners like they're in fucking Europe...

One day, one of the neighbors on the other side's daughter decided she was gonna fly past my house again at Mach 3. She made the mistake of doing so this day while I was 9 beers into a 12 pack, after asking her several times to slow down in past, and had immediate access to a freshly aired basketball by me feet this day...I kicked, and I mean kicked( I'm a big guy) that ball so hard my wife said she heard it almost breaking the sound barrier when it flew past her head on its rocket-like flight path into her rear door. The impact also shattered her rear door window, and I'm sure the front seat was soiled somewhat.:cool:

An hour later her dad showed up, introduced himself, apologized for his daughter and we drank beers number 11 and 12 together. problem solved.

:D