PDA

View Full Version : The race card

ForLiberty2012
09-04-2011, 03:43 AM
I didn't think that people used it anymore.... I thought we were past 1968, however apparently I have been ignorant.

I read an article today, which is titled "Obama faces historic disrespect". Turns out the article is all about how Obama is disrespected because of his race. And, apparently all of the readers think Obama is our savior and it's the "White republicans" who are keeping him from supporting the "poor black man".

ht tp://www.thegrio.com/politics/obama-faces-historic-disrespect-from-both-sides-of-the-aisle.php

I know racism exists to a degree, but c'mon.... it's left vs right, blues vs reds, etc etc, not black versus white... sigh... I wish we could move past this as a society. =/

ForLiberty2012
09-04-2011, 03:46 AM
Could you imagine if Ron Paul were black and receiving the crappy media attention the last 4 years? O-M-G, the world would explode.

cindy25
09-04-2011, 07:12 AM
I expect race riots if Obama loses, esp if its close

Southron
09-04-2011, 07:31 AM
They use it because it still works.

MelissaWV
09-04-2011, 07:44 AM
The degree to which racism exists (or any widespread discrimination, because "racism" is far too limited imo) depends on who you are, where you are, and how you choose to react to things. Somehow, people lose their perspective and logic when it comes to this issue, though.

I am quite sure there are more people than we'd like to admit who will tell you Obama is what we get when we "let a black man into the White House." I've heard such comments, along with the same thing only replacing "black man" with "Muslim." Go figure. I doubt sincerely it's the "White Republicans" in Congress doing so to such a degree that Obama can't get his "help the black people" legislation passed. It might have an awful lot more to do with the fact that the aforementioned legislation is not race-driven, but is instead part of a systematic money-grab from those that work to those that are on the Government dole. When you read these articles, you will notice they bemoan the disproportionate number of minorities that are out of work, or poor, or in need of some other Government program. It sounds more like they should be lobbying to help the poor, but that makes for crappier soundbytes, and might lead them down the dangerous path of considering private charities as being superior to Government assistance.

If Obama loses, it will not be because the "White Republicans" kept him down. It will be because he promised Hopey-Changey goodness, and did not deliver on some of the most basic things that were actually within his power. There was no need to keep spreading the troops out thinner and thinner. There is absolutely no need to keep spending more and more. There was no need for the bailouts, even if the main gripe "average" Americans have with the bailouts seems to be that Wall Street got them rather than Main Street.

The contingent of people who will be disappointed in someone they voted for based on race (and who turned out to be no different than the dozens of pale-skinned folks in office that came before him), is much larger than the ones who hate Obama because of his darker half.

smhbbag
09-04-2011, 11:37 AM
I expect race riots if Obama loses, esp if its close.

I have already reserved election week for my vacation from work next year, because I expect the exact same thing.

I work in the hood, and I almost got assaulted the morning after he was elected. And that was when Obama won. I don't want to think what it would have been if he had lost.

I was short-sighted, but next year I'll be way out of dodge.

WilliamC
09-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Does a holocaust denier charge trump the race card?

"I'll see your bigotry and raise you a genocide...."

Is there a good ranking of heavy-duty smear rhetoric somewhere? If so I'm guessing pedophile is right up there on top.

What is common to these memes is that they are meant to and almost always trigger a feeling of reprehension in the minds of those they are targeted to, even if not in the mind of those they are directed towards.

Trigger words if you will. Might be a good idea to check yourself for such sometime as they can be used against you.

(Was I supposed to let on I knew this.....?)

BlackTerrel
09-04-2011, 12:35 PM
I didn't think that people used it anymore.... I thought we were past 1968, however apparently I have been ignorant.

As Dave Chapelle said "the only thing that trumps the race card is the racism card".

To say that Obama hasn't received any criticism because of his race is incredibly naive. I don't think most of the issues are due to race, and 90+% of Americans don't view the world as such but it's never truly gone away.

Acala
09-04-2011, 12:43 PM
As Dave Chapelle said "the only thing that trumps the race card is the racism card".

To say that Obama hasn't received any criticism because of his race is incredibly naive. I don't think most of the issues are due to race, and 90+% of Americans don't view the world as such but it's never truly gone away.

Clearly true. There is plenty of racial prejudice around and plenty of it is fostered by government policy. But there is also plenty of judging of people on irrelevant criteria OTHER than race. Just spending some time with junior high school kids will demonstrate that human beings (at least in this country) don't need much upon which to base a policy of ostracizing and hating an individual or group. Something wrong with the way we raise our kids I guess.

ForLiberty2012
09-04-2011, 12:50 PM
I agree, people judge all the time... whether it be race, sex, gender, etc. The problem in politics definitely isn't race... it's party loyalty. Politicians are afraid of not being re-elected and fear being "disloyal" so they usually always stick with their party. I think we should do away with the two party system.

jmdrake
09-04-2011, 01:33 PM

Let's see. When white Bill Clinton was president, the economy was decent at least on the surface and he was roundly and viciously attacked and that was before Monica. Now the economy sucks. Sure there is racism in America, but for some to put that as the reason for Obama being criticized is incredibly naive. I was talking to a lady at church who was complaining about Obama being "disrespected" by congress not wanting to go along with his joint session to blather about the economy. I gently pointed out that Obama was wrong because the GOP debate had been scheduled first, that as a brilliant campaigner Obama had to do this, and this move was only helping Rick Perry and hurting Ron Paul and Michelle Bachman. I went on to point out that Obama was hurting blacks. We have been hurt worse in this economic downturn than any other group, but Obama bailed out big business. Further, as you know, blacks are now being targeted for ethnic cleansing in Libya thanks in part to Obama aiding Al Qaeda in Libya. (I had previously shown her the MSM evidence that we are indeed helping Al Qaeda). That diffused the "Those white folks are attacking my president" anger at least temporarily.