PDA

View Full Version : Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years [CNN Not Allowing Comments]

Rael
09-03-2011, 04:39 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/02/news/economy/black_unemployment_rate/

Go to the page and notice no comments are allowed. Look at this article from the same day
http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/02/news/economy/jobs_report_unemployment/index.htm?=&iid=EAL
And comments are enabled. What a bunch of pussies. They don't even say anything about not allowing the comments, they just conveniently forget to add the comments button.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- The August jobs report was dismal for plenty of reasons, but perhaps most striking was the picture it painted of racial inequality in the job market.

Black unemployment surged to 16.7% in August, its highest level since 1984, while the unemployment rate for whites fell slightly to 8%, the Labor Department reported.

Print

"This month's numbers continue to bear out that longstanding pattern that minorities have a much more challenging time getting jobs," said Bill Rodgers, chief economist with the Heldrich Center for Workforce Development at Rutgers University.

Black unemployment has been roughly double that of whites since the government started tracking the figures in 1972.

Economists blame a variety of factors. The black workforce is younger than the white workforce, lower numbers of blacks get a college degree and many live in areas of the country that were harder hit by the recession -- all things that could lead to a higher unemployment rate.

But even excluding those factors, blacks still are hit with higher joblessness.
Unemployment rate, state by state

"Even when you compare black and white workers, same age range, same education, you still see pretty significant gaps in unemployment rates," said Algernon Austin, director of the Race, Ethnicity, and the Economy program at the Economic Policy Institute. "So I do think the fact of racial discrimination in the labor market continues to play a role."

About 155,000 blacks got jobs in August, but the group's unemployment rate still went up because those jobs weren't enough to make up for all the people who started looking for work during the month.

However, the gain for whites of 211,000 jobs was enough to bring their unemployment rate down.

Overall, black men have it the worst, with joblessness at a staggeringly high 19.1%, compared to 14.5% for black women.

Black unemployment has now remained above 10% for four straight years, and the given current economic sluggishness, some experts say it's safe to predict the rate will remain above 10% for four more years.

"Our job creation is just not happening -- certainly not at the rate necessarily to bring rapid reductions to the unemployment rate," Austin said.

Latinos saw their unemployment rate remain unchanged at 11.3% in August. Unemployment remains at 9.1% for the country as a whole.

Feeding the Abscess
09-03-2011, 04:48 PM
I'd probably block comments on an article like that, too. It's bound to bring out a bunch of dunderhead racist trolls.

kah13176
09-03-2011, 04:58 PM
I'd probably block comments on an article like that, too. It's bound to bring out a bunch of dunderhead racist trolls.

They could at least have comment moderation/approval.

I hate it when articles or YouTube videos block comments. It's usually pure cowardice and fear of criticism.

Feeding the Abscess
09-03-2011, 05:03 PM

I hate it when articles or YouTube videos block comments. It's usually pure cowardice and fear of criticism.

I don't disagree, but if I ran a news organization I'd probably keep news articles stand-alone, and have comment sections on opinion pieces.

Kludge
09-03-2011, 05:05 PM

In some cases, at least, it's because it'd take too much time to moderate comments and the video host doesn't want to alienate overly-polite people. I moderate hundreds of Youtube comments every year, and a good many get removed just because the person commenting did nothing but flame. Extremely vulgar, hostile language, and no substance. I love seeing critical substantive comments, but they can be difficult to find on Youtube.

I've had teachers assign the videos I've posted as classroom assignments, so there's really no option to allow that kind of filth on there, as much of a filthy mouth as I may have.

Feeding the Abscess
09-03-2011, 05:07 PM
In some cases, at least, it's because it'd take too much time to moderate comments and the video host doesn't want to alienate overly-polite people. I moderate hundreds of Youtube comments every year, and a good many get removed just because the person commenting did nothing but flame. Extremely vulgar, hostile language, and no substance. I love seeing critical substantive comments, but they can be difficult to find on Youtube.

I've had teachers assign the videos I've posted as classroom assignments, so there's really no option to allow that kind of filth on there, as much of a filthy mouth as I may have.

That too.

Kludge
09-03-2011, 05:13 PM
That too.

A lot of the time, if there is some kind of substance, I'll remove the original comment, edit it for language while trying to keep all of the substance. Then I send the poster a comment telling him what I did. It's very time-consuming, and I wouldn't expect any larger entity like CNN to employ the people required to fairly and adequately moderate the content. At any rate, I'm not sure the majority of people visiting CNN don't come from forums like this very one where the local moderators are responsible for moderating comments. Kind of like outsourcing, I guess.

BlackTerrel
09-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Check out yahoo any time there is an article even tangentially about race. The majority of the comments are n***er this and "white boy" that. The 99% of people who aren't racist don't care enough to comment. Keep that in mind when you check these comments. You'll see a YouTube video with 100 million views and 3 thousand comments. That's about 1% of 1% of people commenting.

(Happens even on non-race related articles like Michael Vick's new contract).

Rael
09-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Why should the comments thread need moderation? I could understand deleting spam messages, but if people are commenting on the topic, is the whole world going to end just because someone expresses an unconventional opinion?

Revolution9
09-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Well.. half the young black kids in L5P, Atlanta were training to be rap stars. I checked craigslist for career openings in the field and they were sparse and the ones advertrised wanted cash from the aspirants and they would compete against others. I did see alot of openings for graphics or copy writing at a magazine or for a website that you could only be black to apply for so maybe they aren't applying since rap star does not imply graphics or web coding skills. Interestingly there was no "you have to be white" yuppie or white redneck jobs. Contrasting this observation which can be made by any reader scanning craigslist for a week to a month can verify, to the jobless rate amongst blacks is interesting.

Rev9

Danke
09-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Just like articles on the MSM about women earning less that men. The private sector would gobble up similarly talented workers that work for less pay. A distinct advantage that would drive their competition out of business.

BlackTerrel
09-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Why should the comments thread need moderation? I could understand deleting spam messages, but if people are commenting on the topic, is the whole world going to end just because someone expresses an unconventional opinion?

I think it's less of a situation of "the world is going to end" than a private company like CNN doing a cost/benefit analysis. And deciding they'd rather piss off a couple assholes who want to make offensive comments then catch flak from groups because of their comment section.

BlackTerrel
09-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Well.. half the young black kids in L5P, Atlanta were training to be rap stars. I checked craigslist for career openings in the field and they were sparse and the ones advertrised wanted cash from the aspirants and they would compete against others. I did see alot of openings for graphics or copy writing at a magazine or for a website that you could only be black to apply for so maybe they aren't applying since rap star does not imply graphics or web coding skills. Interestingly there was no "you have to be white" yuppie or white redneck jobs. Contrasting this observation which can be made by any reader scanning craigslist for a week to a month can verify, to the jobless rate amongst blacks is interesting.

Rev9

My family is from Atlanta and I know many young black kids in the city. Your comment is idiotic.

libertybrewcity
09-03-2011, 11:41 PM
wasn't this posted on drudge? that's probably why they banned comments. you always get hoards of comments with the key words "animals" and "damn apes" and "locked in cages" repeatedly coming up.

Rael
09-03-2011, 11:47 PM
I think it's less of a situation of "the world is going to end" than a private company like CNN doing a cost/benefit analysis. And deciding they'd rather piss off a couple assholes who want to make offensive comments then catch flak from groups because of their comment section.

I'm pissed off, but not because I can't make offensive comments. I just think people should be allowed to express themselves no matter what. It also irritates me that they don't at least have the balls to admit they are not taking comments on the story.

BlackTerrel
09-04-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm pissed off, but not because I can't make offensive comments. I just think people should be allowed to express themselves no matter what. It also irritates me that they don't at least have the balls to admit they are not taking comments on the story.

You can express yourself just not on that particular page. It's private property.

libertybrewcity
09-04-2011, 12:06 AM

it's in their best interest not have their readers offended by uncomfortable comments. they probably did the right thing..