PDA

View Full Version : FEC Unanimously Ruled Foreign-Born Persons Can File and Raise Funds

Noob
09-03-2011, 08:05 AM
FEC Allows Presidential Campaign for Foreign-Born Man. So what happen to Natural born citizen?

The Federal Election Commission ruled Friday that a Guyana-born American citizen could file papers and raise money to run for president of the United States. But the agency also told the prospective candidate, Abdul Hassan, that his campaign may not receive federal matching funds because he was not born in America.

The FEC’s unanimous vote allows Hassan — who born in the South American country in 1974 — to be a candidate, solicit funds and requires him to file disclosure reports for a presidential bid. However, the agency’s decision stopped short of addressing the constitutional issue of whether someone born outside the United States can be president.

Instead, the agency told Hassan he may not receive any presidential primary matching funds by quoting the Constitution, stating “[n]o Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President.”

Hassan’s request appeared to put the FEC in the rare role of deciding a large constitutional issue that has only a few intersections with campaign finance law. The two commonly held constitutional requirements to run for president are that the candidate be 35 years of age or older and be a “natural born citizen.”

But FEC commissioners said repeatedly that their decision to define Hassan as a candidate had nothing to do with his birth country. They said that current federal election law allows for someone to be a candidate, regardless of whether they can legally hold the office they seekand that the FEC is not charged with deciding presidential criteria including one’s natural-born citizenship.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/fec_allows_presidential_campaign_for_foreign_born_ man-208435-1.html?pos=hln

sailingaway
09-03-2011, 08:15 AM
OK, that's weird. It would seem to me to be finance fraud to solicit funds for an office you cannot constitutionally hold.

erowe1
09-03-2011, 08:20 AM
OK, that's weird. It would seem to me to be finance fraud to solicit funds for an office you cannot constitutionally hold.

It's not funds to hold the office, just to be a candidate for it.

And since it seems that he's not hiding the fact of being foreign-born, and those who donate to his campaign would be presumed to know they're donating to the campaign of someone who can't legally hold the office, then it's not fraud.

asurfaholic
09-03-2011, 08:56 AM

Thats an interesting way to look at it. I largely agree with the FEC Ruling. They are staying within their "scope of power." The people of AMERICA should reject the notion of having a foreign born president, no matter how sweet he looks.

Noob
09-04-2011, 07:51 AM
FEC Allows Presidential Campaign for Foreign-Born Ma

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYoR_TncejE&feature=player_embedded

leonster
09-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Not sure, but wasn't he born an American citizen? I'm not a birther or anything, so perhaps I'm not the target audience for this post... but I doubt the founders meant for place of birth to have any effect on status of "natural born citizens." I'd think an American citizen parent who was on vacation and happened to go into labor in, say, Spain... would still have a natural born citizen baby. I mean, that's what natural born MEANS, right? An American citizen from the time of birth--which that hypothetical baby would be.

Though I don't know the details of this particular guy.