PDA

View Full Version : UCLA Student joins Libya Rebels for Summer Break

Kregisen
09-01-2011, 06:21 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44359943/ns/world_news-christian_science_monitor/#.TmAU9hyo-2k

Al Nawfaliyah, Libya — At this rebel outpost in the middle of the desert near the front lines of the fight with Muammar Qaddafi’s loyalists, a gaggle of rebel fighters gathers in a circle, laughing, cheering, and filming with their mobile phones.

In the center stands a 21-year-old American college student from Los Angeles.

Chris Jeon wears a cobalt basketball jersey emblazoned with the words “Los Angeles” and the number 44, camouflage pants, and black and white Converse sneakers. Around his neck hangs a spent ammunition casing on a string, and a black and white scarf is wrapped around his head, courtesy of the rebel fighters.

Why is he here?

“This is one of the few real revolutions,” he said. “I just thought I’d come check it out.”

It’s an unusual summer break for a college student, especially for a math major at University of California, Los Angeles, who says he spent his last spring break in Quebec. But Mr. Jeon is near the front lines of a conflict that has already taken thousands of lives, and is likely to cost many more if rebels launch a planned assault on Mr. Qaddafi’s hometown of Sirte.

Jeon doesn’t seem worried.

“I just go and see what happens,” he said. “At spring break I told my friends a 'sick' vacation would be to come here and fight with the rebels.”

He spent $800 on a one-way ticket from L.A. to Cairo, then traveled by land across the border into Libya, where he has now been for nearly two weeks. His parents do not know he is here. He speaks no Arabic, and has been staying with fighters and families in the area.

“I haven’t spent a dollar in weeks,” he says, because the people of Libya have extended such hospitality.

He has no way of contact with the outside world, and on Tuesday was unsure of the date. Yet he seemed to be having the time of his life.

At the rebel checkpoint about 80 miles from Sirte, he held a Russian-made shotgun the rebels had given him, appearing to be unfamiliar with it. Then a rebel handed him an AK-47, and he awkwardly fired several rounds into the air. The fighters cheered and laughed before quickly taking the gun back.

The boisterous rebel fighters, clearly enjoying this foreigner who had joined their ranks, shouted competing offers for him to join their respective brigades. Jeon needed translation to understand what they were asking. He communicates with sign language, and broken Italian.

He said the rebels had bestowed upon him an honorary Libyan name: Ahmed El Maghrabi Saidi Barga. As he said it, the rebels roared in approval.

Jeon said he was “helping” the rebels, though he didn’t appear to be using firearms.

He was among the first rebel fighters who drove into Nawlifyia to take it from Qaddafi troops, he said. And he’s not worried about staying safe amid the possible battle for Sirte – the rebels have set a Saturday deadline for Qaddafi loyalists there to surrender, before they attack.

“I believe in destiny,” he said.

This article, " American college kid joins rebels for 'vacation'," first appeared on CSMonitor.com.

lol..."I just thought I'd come check it out"....how badass is that? I thought this was an onion article when I first saw it.

eduardo89
09-01-2011, 06:22 PM
lol..."I just thought I'd come check it out"....how badass is that? I thought this was an onion article when I first saw it.

He should be arrested for war crimes.

libertybrewcity
09-01-2011, 10:44 PM
how the hell is this real?

CaptainAmerica
09-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Him and Obama need to be tried for treason.

CaptainAmerica
09-01-2011, 10:53 PM
United States Constitution Article 3 Section 3 :

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

Under this Obama is impeachable, this kid can be tried for treason without a doubt.

squarepusher
09-01-2011, 10:55 PM
this guy has to be a stoner lol

CaptainAmerica
09-01-2011, 10:58 PM
this guy has to be a stoner lol Or s black OPS who got busted.

Bordillo
09-01-2011, 11:01 PM
United States Constitution Article 3 Section 3 :

Under this Obama is impeachable, this kid can be tried for treason without a doubt.

How can you declare libya an enemy when we have not officially declared war

Icymudpuppy
09-01-2011, 11:02 PM
He should be arrested for war crimes.

Why? I don't see him doing anything illegal. Isn't this what we keep saying... If you want to get involved with foreign intervention use your own money and do it yourself.

CaptainAmerica
09-01-2011, 11:03 PM
How can you declare libya an enemy when we have not officially declared war the rebels(taliban/alqaeda)..........Obama aiding and comforting them

CaptainAmerica
09-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Why? I don't see him doing anything illegal. Isn't this what we keep saying... If you want to get involved with foreign intervention use your own money and do it yourself. Since we have wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, NO.

Icymudpuppy
09-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Him and Obama need to be tried for treason.

I see no reason. What exactly has this kid done that is treasonous? Nothing. The USA is not officially at war with either side in this conflict. That he has chosen to participate is his own decision made freely without coercion and done with his own resources.

eric_cartman
09-01-2011, 11:05 PM
what would happen if he went to fight for gadhafi ???

Icymudpuppy
09-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Since we have wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, NO.

Negative. We have military actions in Iraq and Afghanistan. They are not officially wars, and we have not declared an official enemy.

Bordillo
09-01-2011, 11:07 PM
the rebels(taliban/alqaeda)..........Obama aiding and comforting them

If hes fighting with the rebels, than wouldn't he be fighting against Al Quaeda? If Al Queada is also fighting with the rebels than are we currently allied with Al Queada?

Bordillo
09-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Since we have wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, NO.

Iraq and Afghanistan are not Libya

BlackTerrel
09-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Hmmmm.... this sounds a bit fake.

Not even sure what to make of it.

RM918
09-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Any native speakers able to deduce whether that monicker they gave him actually means, 'Incompetent Stupid Foreigner'?

The treason bits sounds pretty ridiculous. What's going on there should have nothing to do with us, but I'd really prefer this is how all our warmongers handled their business instead of forcing the rest of us to pay for it. Bring our military back and send all the neocons and neolibs over there, that would be totally fine with me.

amonasro
09-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Any native speakers able to deduce whether that monicker they gave him actually means, 'Incompetent Stupid Foreigner'?

Ha, if he doesn't know how to use a gun he probably won't be much help.

Real ballsy vacation though, for sure.

Rothbardian Girl
09-01-2011, 11:18 PM
My thought exactly lol. The Libyans' reactions to this guy are quite interesting IMO. Not quite sure why some people are calling for him to be tried for treason... isn't this the kind of thing we advocate for interventionists who are overenthusiastic about fighting wars? This kid is making a decision that I would never make; that is to go over to an extremely hostile country (for admittedly unclear purposes). If more interventionists did this I think we'd be a lot better off.

RM918
09-01-2011, 11:23 PM
My thought exactly lol. The Libyans' reactions to this guy are quite interesting IMO. Not quite sure why some people are calling for him to be tried for treason... isn't this the kind of thing we advocate for interventionists who are overenthusiastic about fighting wars? This kid is making a decision that I would never make; that is to go over to an extremely hostile country (for admittedly unclear purposes). If more interventionists did this I think we'd be a lot better off.

Exactly. Bring our military home and send Mark Levin over to the foxholes in Afghanistan to spread democracy? I'd feel sorry for the Afghans but YES PLEASE.

Ronpauljones
09-01-2011, 11:27 PM
If hes fighting with the rebels, than wouldn't he be fighting against Al Quaeda? If Al Queada is also fighting with the rebels than are we currently allied with Al Queada?

The rebels are Al Qaeda led, a large number of them are Al Qaeda. This kid is completely ignorant of what is really going on. Congrats dumbass, you're fighting alongside Al Qaeda...

CaptainAmerica
09-01-2011, 11:51 PM
If hes fighting with the rebels, than wouldn't he be fighting against Al Quaeda? If Al Queada is also fighting with the rebels than are we currently allied with Al Queada? UH are you seriously that confused? the rebels are rumored to be alqaeda or taliban affiliated...............

CaptainAmerica
09-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Hmmmm.... this sounds a bit fake.

Not even sure what to make of it. Like I said, it may be black ops who got busted .

CaptainAmerica
09-01-2011, 11:54 PM
The rebels are Al Qaeda led, a large number of them are Al Qaeda. This kid is completely ignorant of what is really going on. Congrats dumbass, you're fighting alongside Al Qaeda... This is exactly what I've been saying,and I think that "kid" from UCLA may very well be a black op.

dannno
09-02-2011, 12:43 AM

hehe, ya...

Bordillo
09-02-2011, 12:50 AM
The rebels are Al Qaeda led, a large number of them are Al Qaeda. This kid is completely ignorant of what is really going on. Congrats dumbass, you're fighting alongside Al Qaeda...

So they oppose Gaddafi, and yet you think they are enemies of America? Is Gaddafi our ally now?

CaptainAmerica
09-02-2011, 12:52 AM
So they oppose Gaddafi, and yet you think they are enemies of America? Is Gaddafi our ally now? Gaddafi already made a deal with the British and Tony Blair to allow a British oil company to have some oil from Libya....and in exchange Gaddafi's government was taken off the "terrorist" regime list. No joke about it, the wars are fabricated by the u.s. and nato

Bordillo
09-02-2011, 12:52 AM
UH are you seriously that confused? the rebels are rumored to be alqaeda or taliban affiliated...............

We sent the rebels aid, so unless we are talking about 2 different sets of rebels that means our government just supported alqaeda again

TheNcredibleEgg
09-02-2011, 01:07 AM
I wonder how dude is going to fly back when the gov't, no doubt, puts him on the no-fly list.

Even if he was helping the rebels - and fighting on the side of NATO - this dude is going to be all over the watch lists for the rest of his life.

Ronpauljones
09-02-2011, 01:10 AM
This is exactly what I've been saying,and I think that "kid" from UCLA may very well be a black op.

Black Op? Could be. Maybe it'll take a bunch of actual college students going over there for him to come out and admit it though.

Ronpauljones
09-02-2011, 01:12 AM
So they oppose Gaddafi, and yet you think they are enemies of America? Is Gaddafi our ally now?

Who said anything about Gaddafi being are ally? Did you? Because I know I didn't.

Ronpauljones
09-02-2011, 01:12 AM
Gaddafi already made a deal with the British and Tony Blair to allow a British oil company to have some oil from Libya....and in exchange Gaddafi's government was taken off the "terrorist" regime list. No joke about it, the wars are fabricated by the u.s. and nato

^ This.

Ronpauljones
09-02-2011, 01:13 AM
We sent the rebels aid, so unless we are talking about 2 different sets of rebels that means our government just supported alqaeda again

Same rebels and yes our government did.

Ronpauljones
09-02-2011, 01:14 AM
I wonder how dude is going to fly back when the gov't, no doubt, puts him on the no-fly list.

Even if he was helping the rebels - and fighting on the side of NATO - this dude is going to be all over the watch lists for the rest of his life.

If random innocent people are on it then he better be.

CaptainAmerica
09-02-2011, 01:14 AM
Same rebels and yes our government did.

^ this

dannno
09-02-2011, 01:28 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg8mWSF4oa0&feature=player_embedded

Transcript:
http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul183.html

Al Qaeda may already be among Libya's rebels
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-5Al Qaeda may already be among Libya's rebels03543_162-20048982-503543.html

What role is al-Qaeda playing in Libya?
http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/insidestory/2011/08/201183174656374603.html

CaptainAmerica
09-02-2011, 01:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg8mWSF4oa0&feature=player_embedded

Transcript:
http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul183.html

Al Qaeda may already be among Libya's rebels
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-5Al Qaeda may already be among Libya's rebels03543_162-20048982-503543.html

What role is al-Qaeda playing in Libya?
http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/insidestory/2011/08/201183174656374603.html

Ironically Libya was an ally to the U.K. and U.S. and made deals for exchange of oil . This whole "Gaddafi the terrible dictator" is so fabricated. Gaddaffi may be authoritarian but he hasnt done a damn thing for the U.S. or Nato to intervene when they have looked the other way for decades and don't care about anything except radicalizing Libya with alqaeda /taliban so that the U.S./Nato can invade and dictate the region.I believe that the Egyptian "internet kill switch" was CIA and that the revolts were a result of CIA catalysts in order to disrupt the region and invade or install new dictators.

sorianofan
09-02-2011, 04:14 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44359943/ns/world_news-christian_science_monitor/#.TmAU9hyo-2k

Aren't people that enjoy watching people die considered psycopaths?

Ronpauljones
09-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Ironically Libya was an ally to the U.K. and U.S. and made deals for exchange of oil . This whole "Gaddafi the terrible dictator" is so fabricated. Gaddaffi may be authoritarian but he hasnt done a damn thing for the U.S. or Nato to intervene when they have looked the other way for decades and don't care about anything except radicalizing Libya with alqaeda /taliban so that the U.S./Nato can invade and dictate the region.I believe that the Egyptian "internet kill switch" was CIA and that the revolts were a result of CIA catalysts in order to disrupt the region and invade or install new dictators.

This is dead on. It's exactly what is going on.

Danke
09-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Kid must not be black.

moderate libertarian
09-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Is he daughter of some rebel leader who is getting Billions in aid from US/NATO alliance by any chance?

Like this concerned Kuwaiti student studying in America who made the case for Iraq invasion ( later turned out to be daughter of Kuwaiti ambassador):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmfVs3WaE9Y

CaptainAmerica
09-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Like I said he needs to be put on trial for treason. Its a shame Obama can't be tried for treason.

Ronpauljones
09-02-2011, 08:58 PM
This is dead on. It's exactly what is going on.

Like I said he needs to be put on trial for treason. Its a shame Obama can't be tried for treason.

As far as I know he can be. And he is clearly guilty. But no one will ever do it.

Erentheca
09-02-2011, 10:09 PM
I am all for individual rights to secede from the United States, so even if he was actively aiding an enemy, as long as he was not providing US military intelligence, nor supplying US weapons or tax money, I see no problem with him joining any country's military struggle, on the condition of course that he does not re-enter the USA with the rights of a US citizen. But really, in this instance, this is just a case of combat tourism. It's a reflection of how cavalier the nation has become to war and the inhuman suffering happening in other countries.

RedLightning
09-03-2011, 12:44 AM
on the condition of course that he does not re-enter the USA with the rights of a US citizen.
Why?

CaptainAmerica
09-03-2011, 12:55 AM
I am all for individual rights to secede from the United States, so even if he was actively aiding an enemy, as long as he was not providing US military intelligence, nor supplying US weapons or tax money, I see no problem with him joining any country's military struggle, on the condition of course that he does not re-enter the USA with the rights of a US citizen. But really, in this instance, this is just a case of combat tourism. It's a reflection of how cavalier the nation has become to war and the inhuman suffering happening in other countries. the UCLA student implied that he was only there for vacation so I assume he intends to come back to the u.s.

Erentheca
09-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Why?

I only mentioned that, in the instance Chris Jeon was actively aiding an actual enemy, it would be equivalent of surrendering citizenship. Since that is not the case, since he is just a war tourist associating with some rebels who are regarded as diplomatically neutral, he really isn't doing anything at all, so that would not apply.

The concept I mentioned would be more applicable to John Walker Lindh. His actions were consistent with an individual wishing to "opt out" of natural born citizenship. Legally he should have been treated like an enemy soldier and a foreign national, and therefore he should have fallen under the protections of the Geneva Convention. This farcical idea that John Walker Lindh was some kind of "traitor" was absolutely ridiculous and denies individual freedom to permanently expatriate. Any individual should be able to abdicate citizenship and therefore be free from the laws of their nation of origin, in favor of a nation that more closely aligns with their personal convictions. Only a radically immoral government has an incentive to deny individuals this basic right. Like I said, this doesn't really apply to Chris Jeon, he's just a war tourist.

Ronpauljones
09-04-2011, 12:05 AM
He is aiding Al Qaeda.

South Park Fan
09-04-2011, 01:06 AM
While his judgement is certainly in question, I don't see how his behavior is different from that of the Lincoln Brigade.

Bordillo
09-04-2011, 02:03 AM
He is aiding Al Qaeda.

So is the U.S. military

Ronpauljones
09-04-2011, 03:30 AM
So is the U.S. military

Touche.

RP Supporter
09-04-2011, 01:03 PM
I'd rather they be fighting over there then serving as lobbyists to get us involved in the war over here.

Plus with the kid's talk of revolutions, I'm willing to bet he's a lefty. A war might actually do him good. Especially if he sees that "his side" wins and things turn out to be exactly the same as they serve the same masters.

Erentheca
09-04-2011, 10:21 PM
I'd rather they be fighting over there then serving as lobbyists to get us involved in the war over here.

Plus with the kid's talk of revolutions, I'm willing to bet he's a lefty. A war might actually do him good. Especially if he sees that "his side" wins and things turn out to be exactly the same as they serve the same masters.

Very true, I hope he gets his eyes opened by this.

ForLiberty2012
09-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Hilarious

Kludge
09-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Lol... Some of you appear to have a giant stick up your ass. Don't you ever just want to go experience something? He's at the point in his life where he gets the freedom to experience the world as he likes - not as his parents like, nor as his teachers like. This kid'll either come back or stay there, but I'm sure he'll write a book about it and we'll all be better off for the knowledge and perspective.

If I didn't now have family commitments, I'd love to go out and do something like this. Go out on a limb, gather extraordinary life experiences, and learn from them. Doing something original gives you the perspective the mainstream robots will never have. I'm kind of jealous.

CaptainAmerica
09-04-2011, 11:04 PM
He is aiding Al Qaeda. correct,and it is considered treason under the U.S. Constitution law

Danke
09-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Lol... Some of you appear to have a giant stick up your ass. Don't you ever just want to go experience something? He's at the point in his life where he gets the freedom to experience the world as he likes - not as his parents like, nor as his teachers like. This kid'll either come back or stay there, but I'm sure he'll write a book about it and we'll all be better off for the knowledge and perspective.

If I didn't now have family commitments, I'd love to go out and do something like this. Go out on a limb, gather extraordinary life experiences, and learn from them. Doing something original gives you the perspective the mainstream robots will never have. I'm kind of jealous.

Amy, do we have your permission to start a chip-in for Kludge's airfare?

MRK
09-05-2011, 07:54 AM
I have often thought about going down to certain areas of the Middle East to check things out and serve as a goodwill ambassador for the United States to deliver the message that its people are not power-hungry warmongers. Then I realized I look strikingy like movie portrayals of CIA operatives and would therefore either not make it out alive or I would be put on a watch list by CIA/NSA/DoD operatives.

Icymudpuppy
09-05-2011, 08:08 AM
correct,and it is considered treason under the U.S. Constitution law

Incorrect.

Regardless of which definition you use, the word "WAR" is required. Although we call it a war on Terror, and Al Quaida is accepted as the enemy by default, there has been no declaration of war, therefore we are not actually at war, and there has been no enemy defined, therefore Al Quaida is not officially our enemy, and thus the man couldn't possibly be tried for treason since there is no war and no enemy.

Article 3 section 3.

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

Webster's definition:
Treason
treason n: the offense of attempting to overthrow the government of one's country or of assisting its enemies in war

Erentheca
09-06-2011, 10:56 PM
So is the U.S. military

Bingo.

wannaberocker
09-07-2011, 09:00 AM
When he gets back they will give him an honorary degree at UCLA.