PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul vs. Stephen Colbert Presidential Debate

SwordOfShannarah
11-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Hey all- I'm thinking it could be very funny and great publicity for Ron Paul if he and Stephen Colbert were to hold a televised debate on the Colbert Report.

What do you think?

SeanEdwards
11-04-2007, 03:09 PM
Love it.

Sounds like a potentially hilarious show, and a great opportunity to showcase Ron's sanity with Colbert's amalgam of all the neocon freakazoids.

BenIsForRon
11-04-2007, 03:19 PM
fantastic idea, we should start an email campaign. it's the next best thing to a 1 on 1 debate with guliani.

transistor
11-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Bad idea. Colbert would own him

walt
11-04-2007, 03:21 PM
dumb idea

Edwards or any serious candidate - good idea for a one on one.

dircha
11-04-2007, 03:34 PM
I don't think this would work.

Colbert is a progressive-liberal Democrat playing a very conservative, very stupid, Republican.

His gig is to use satire and hyperbole to lead his audience to see conservative positions as ridiculous and absurd, many of which are positions that Ron Paul endorses, many of which Ron Paul endorses to a degree that seems ridiculous and absurd to an audience like Colbert's without any "help" from the host.

The laugh lines in a Colbert skit are:
- When he portrays a conservative position in a way that makes it seem ridiculous and absurd.
- When the narration in the segment makes snide, progressive-liberal remarks belittling and demeaning the satirized conservative position.

The applause lines in a Colbert skit are:
- When a guest or the narration makes "thoughtful" or "profound" progressive-liberal remarks at the apex of Colbert's ridiculous and absurd portrayal of an aspect of conservatism.

Not to mention, the only positions of Paul's that play well here: war and civil liberties, many conservatives are so unbelievably stupid that they find Colbert's purposely ridiculous and absurd positions to be more agreeable than Paul's.

james1906
11-04-2007, 03:38 PM

Colbert is a progressive-liberal Democrat playing a very conservative, very stupid, Republican.

His gig is to use satire and hyperbole to lead his audience to see conservative positions as ridiculous and absurd, many of which are positions that Ron Paul endorses, many of which Ron Paul endorses to a degree that seems ridiculous and absurd to an audience like Colbert's without any "help" from the host.

- When he portrays a conservative position in a way that makes it seem ridiculous and absurd.
- When the narration in the segment makes snide, progressive-liberal remarks belittling and demeaning the satirized conservative position.

- When a guest or the narration makes "thoughtful" or "profound" progressive-liberal remarks at the apex of Colbert's ridiculous and absurd portrayal of an aspect of conservatism.

Not to mention, the only positions of Paul's that play well here: war and civil liberties, many conservatives are so unbelievably stupid that they find Colbert's purposely ridiculous and absurd positions to be more agreeable than Paul's.

Yeah, many neocons don't get the satire. I don't think it's a good idea, as it doesn't make RP look like a serious candidate. Regardless, I'd love to see him back as a guest.

RP4ME
11-04-2007, 03:40 PM

How do you know he is not independent or libertraian? I have never read where he is a dem but if you know pls enlighten....

dircha
11-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Really?

Here's a good place to start. His Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Colbert) will link you to several interviews where he says flat out that he is a Democrat and describes the character he plays as an idiot.

He even tells John Kerry as much: http://youtube.com/watch?v=DfiL2hpnmZ0

Stephen Colbert is no friend of Ron Paul. Now, like Bill Maher and others he might like to use Ron Paul to score points against Republicans on the war and civil liberties, but just like every other media progressive-liberal he most certainly thinks Ron Paul's domestic policies are kooky at best.

You're really missing the intended humor of the show if you don't understand that he (the actor, not the character) is a Democrat. The narration in The Word segments should be a complete giveaway if nothing else.

porcupine
11-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Yeah...the best way to get credibility is to debate a comedic fake politician...not! :rolleyes:

This phase of the campaign is about credibility and positioning Ron Paul as a serious candidate...not the "quirky" also-ran.

tsetsefly
11-04-2007, 04:52 PM
bad idea it just makes Ron Paul's campaign look like a joke...

Adamsa
11-04-2007, 04:52 PM
It'd turn Ron into a joke.

SeanEdwards
11-04-2007, 05:09 PM
I think Americans tend to like Presidents that can show a more human, and even comedic side. Ron does plenty of serious appearances. I don't think it would hurt him at all.

Barack Obama was just covered by CNN for his cameo appearance on Saturday Night Live. He doesn't appear to be worried about appearing in a comedic format.

Colbert would make an utter mockery of the Frudy McRomney political platform, and I think it would be a great contrast with Ron's sane constitutional positions.

Madison
11-04-2007, 06:09 PM
No. Colbert would run over him in the eyes of most. The lowest common denominator is humor, not facts.

FreedomLover
11-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Colbert is an idiot.