PDA

View Full Version : Florida Sherrif's Office Removes Police Scanners from Newsroom

bobbyw24
09-01-2011, 11:24 AM
POLICE SCANNER CONTROVERSY: The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office has just removed the police scanners from the WOKV newsroom.

https://www.facebook.com/WOKVNews

Bruno
09-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Why?

jkr
09-01-2011, 11:32 AM
they are CUTTING OUR LINES OF COMMUNICATION!

TheViper
09-01-2011, 11:34 AM
They've taken them from all the local media. Supposed to be replaced by an increased use of the Emergency Alert Radio System but it's slower than the scanner broadcasts.

Keep in mind those scanners are JSO property and not the property of the media. They are the same portable handheld scanners the police themselves use. So this isn't like they are taking away a media stations private property like I've seen some suggesting they are.

Why?
New courthouse is complete and the volume of officers inside that need scanners will almost triple compared to the current courthouse and there are no funds for new scanners. They've already cut back the number of officers and even taken a small pay cut. They're pinching every penny they can pinch right now. We just had 2 major murder scenes with 15 people killed over the weekend. Can't cut more cops than they already have.

bobbyw24
09-01-2011, 11:36 AM
They've taken them from all the local media. Supposed to be replaced by an increased use of the Emergency Alert Radio System but it's slower than the scanner broadcasts.

Keep in mind those scanners are JSO property and not the property of the media. They are the same portable handheld scanners the police themselves use. So this isn't like they are taking away a media stations private property like I've seen some suggesting they are.

Thanks for the clarification

PastaRocket848
09-01-2011, 11:44 AM
i was a stringer in orlando for about 5 years, and that is old news. they don't have to take the scanners, they just go digital. OPD did it, now OCSO and the other public safety departments in the area are following suit. OPD did it in direct response to a video my coworker at the time shot of a cop pushing a pregnant chick down the steps at Taboo night club. That, in addition to several other abuse-of-power stories that local outlet WFTV9 had been running around that time. OPD is out of control, just recently an officer broke the neck of a 70+ year old man in a "takedown".

on the bright side, crime in orlando has since gone down dramatically (if you ask the now-uninformed public).