PDA

View Full Version : NY-Nassau county cops shoot unarmed man in the back as he runs away.

Anti Federalist
09-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Something stinks here: thugscrum shoots unarmed fleeing man in the back, killing him.

Of course the thugscrum says he had a knife.

I'm thinking we'll all be hearing more about this.

NASSAU POLICE SHOOT LI MAN

http://www.longislandexchange.com/articles/news/nassaupoliceshootman-083111.html

(Long Island, N.Y.) A twenty-three-year-old man was shot and killed Tuesday morning while attempting to evade officers at his Point Lookout home. The shooting occurred about fifteen minutes to three that morning after Nassau County Police officers surrounded his home. He was a senior and psychology major at Queens College where he played baseball as an outfielder and catcher.

Officers from the Nassau County Police Department have told the press that he was the subject of a 911 call they received at roughly ten-thirty Monday night. They said that he had been kicked out of the Buoy Bar in Point Lookout, located just a quarter-mile away from his home.

The officers also said that he could have been the subject of another 911 call that occurred at five minutes to midnight. The complaint was from a neighbor who said that someone entered her home but left through the front door after she yelled. Police said that she recalled the person could have been carrying a weapon or tool or even a screwdriver. Nonetheless, no reports have mentioned the possibility that he could have mistaken her home for his and entered the wrong home.

After the alleged incident, he fled to his family's home a short distance away and refused to speak to police. His father said that he had been sleeping when police surrounded the home, and that he tried to persuade his son to speak with them. He evaded officers by exiting the home through the backyard.

Police officers said that they asked him to drop his alleged weapon, claiming that he had been carrying a twelve-inch knife when they shot and killed him. His parents said that he was unarmed, and was running away when he was shot twice in the back. Some reports stated that officers fired at least three shots, killing him with a single bullet to the head.

A neighbor claimed that his body was visible but that no weapon could be seen in the area. According to sources, his twenty-nine-year-old brother said that over twenty cops responded to the scene and surrounded the house while he was running away. Some stories on the case said that the cops were dressed for heavy-duty combat and depicted a SWAT team. Reports claimed that his parents believe he was shot because he was scared and wouldn't speak to police.

Sources stated that many believe the police officers used excessive force against the five-foot-eight and one-hundred-and-forty-pound man. Police officers wouldn't identify him and his mother revealed that her son had been shot. The officer who shot and killed him was a member of the Fourth Precinct and had been on the force since November of 2007.

This is the second police shooting involving the Nassau County Police Department that occurred in two days. Reports claimed that three officers shot and wounded a twenty-one-year-old Hofstra University student on Monday after a car chase in Oyster Bay. Earlier this year, Nassau County Police Officers shot and killed a twenty-one-year-old who was allegedly carrying a knife in Massapequa Park; the incident resulted in a loss of a police officer by friendly fire.

The twenty-three-year-old man was a 2006 graduate of Long Beach High School where he made all-conference, all-county, and all-division for baseball in three consecutive years. He was the team's captain for two years and hit twice over .400, raking top-ten in the school's history. He ranked in the top five in the school's history for stolen bases and later worked as a baseball coach and ski instructor.

Classmates remember him as a gifted individual who could always be counted on to make a funny joke. Those who knew him are shocked at the tragic outcome, being that he was nonaggressive and never posed a threat of violence. He was a good student with a warm disposition and will be missed by the entire community.

Cleaner44
09-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Well obviously he was guilty... has he proven himself innocent yet? Case closed.

flightlesskiwi
09-01-2011, 09:29 AM
The complaint was from a neighbor who said that someone entered her home but left through the front door after she yelled.

do people just leave their freaking doors unlocked? this is something like the 3rd story i've heard (other 2 local) about someone just entering into a person's home at night. the other two (local) the person entered through the front door.

i wonder if he'd stayed in his parents' house if they would have all been shot and killed.

Anti Federalist
09-01-2011, 09:32 AM
do people just leave their freaking doors unlocked? this is something like the 3rd story i've heard (other 2 local) about someone just entering into a person's home at night. the other two (local) the person entered through the front door.

i wonder if he'd stayed in his parents' house if they would have all been shot and killed.

In today's Amerika, Ferris Bueller would have been shot by SWAT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7ySiWmvd5c

flightlesskiwi
09-01-2011, 09:53 AM
In today's Amerika, Ferris Bueller would have been shot by SWAT.

Yup. (his sis and mom would've gotten shot, too)

Krugerrand
09-01-2011, 10:01 AM

I never locked my doors before I was married.

flightlesskiwi
09-01-2011, 10:11 AM
I never locked my doors before I was married.

understood. a lot of people don't lock their doors. in fact, i grew up in a home where to front door was only locked when we weren't home and at night. never felt unsafe. times have changed.

i keep my doors locked. and i have weapons caches. and i have two dogs, one specially trained.

f the thought of someone coming into my house-- just walking right through my door. i'm not going to call the cops, i'm going to take care of myself. first line of protection: locking my doors!

i feel badly for this guy's family.

Travlyr
09-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Why bother with capital punishment when we can simply send executioners right to the scene of the crime?

Krugerrand
09-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Why bother with capital punishment when we can simply send executioners right to the scene of the crime?

Sadly, many comments on news stories laud such a mentality.

Travlyr
09-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Sadly, many comments on news stories laud such a mentality.
Sad for sure. Poor kid had a whole life in front of him. His crime? He was afraid that the people sent to serve and protect might kill him. They did.

oyarde
09-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Sounds like he was correct to be scared .

Krugerrand
09-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Sounds like he was correct to be scared .

always trust your gut.

belian78
09-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Man oh man, back in my college days I walked into a trailor that I thought was mine, looked exactly like mine. Once I got in and realized all the lights were off, which we never did, I backed out slowly and got the heck out of there laughing at myself. With the way these subdivision homes are nowadays, I can see how that mistake can be made, especially if one had been drinking.

Good thing my incident was over 10 years ago, or I might have found myself in this kids shoes. The world these days... Sometimes I don't even want to look my boy in the face, because I know what he is inheriting.

AuH20
09-01-2011, 09:07 PM
This is my county. Explain to me how a young adult wielding a knife in a menacing fashion towards a SWAT team member, covered from head to toe in Kevlar, merits an execution style takedown?

Anti Federalist
09-01-2011, 09:16 PM
This is my county. Explain to me how a young adult wielding a knife in a menacing fashion towards a SWAT team member, covered from head to toe in Kevlar, merits an execution style takedown?

It doesn't, but under the new circular force continuum training, "officer safety" and control of the situation is now paramount, which basically means they can light you up, with whatever force they want, including deadly force, the second an encounter with a mundane goes sideways in the slightest manner.

Now, it becomes even more outrageous when, according to witnesses:

A - There was no knife.

B - He wasn't "menacing" anyone, he was running away.

Kylie
09-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Man oh man, back in my college days I walked into a trailor that I thought was mine, looked exactly like mine. Once I got in and realized all the lights were off, which we never did, I backed out slowly and got the heck out of there laughing at myself. With the way these subdivision homes are nowadays, I can see how that mistake can be made, especially if one had been drinking.

Good thing my incident was over 10 years ago, or I might have found myself in this kids shoes. The world these days... Sometimes I don't even want to look my boy in the face, because I know what he is inheriting.

In our first week in the new house, the dog went to the wrong place thinking it was ours. She was an old dog then(7yrs ago/died in Jan11) and would wander around and then bark to be let back in. Our neighbors didn't know whose dog it was barking at their door!

We've all something like it(wrong car, etc.), we just don't expect to be killed for it.

amyre
09-01-2011, 09:28 PM
I hate these stories. Hate them. And what's worse is that I know they need to be told and heard and spread before there's any chance that these actions will stop, but they make me feel sad and hopeless and a little bit crazy.

CaptainAmerica
09-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Unfortunately law enforcement is given the "license to kill" if a suspect flees. Even if it is a resist of arrest based on a petty misdemeanor, a cop can use deadly force if the suspect flees.

Anti Federalist
09-01-2011, 09:32 PM
I hate these stories. Hate them. And what's worse is that I know they need to be told and heard and spread before there's any chance that these actions will stop, but they make me feel sad and hopeless and a little bit crazy.

Try wading through them day after day after day.

I swear it's physically hurting me and affecting my health.

amyre
09-01-2011, 09:36 PM

Cannot even imagine....no doubt it is affecting all of the above.

flightlesskiwi
09-01-2011, 09:38 PM

:(

i do appreciate it. but if it's messing you up that much, dang, AF. the choice is yours. :(

Anti Federalist
09-01-2011, 09:44 PM
:(

i do appreciate it. but if it's messing you up that much, dang, AF. the choice is yours. :(

Like to think I would have suffered through the hardships of Valley Forge, had I been there.

Not that my ulcers and migraines and stress from walking around in high states of piss-off all the time about this shit are even close to comparing to the hardships that they suffered then.

But it does drag me down.

/ends whining.

belian78
09-02-2011, 07:20 AM

AF, take a break man. You're no good to yourself or anyone else if you don't look after you're health, both mental and physical.

osan
09-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Poor kid had a whole life in front of him.

Apparently not.

oyarde
09-02-2011, 10:54 AM

I swear it's physically hurting me and affecting my health. Take a break , that is what I do , getting ready to take three days off now , no news , no net , just some work around the homestead .

coastie
09-02-2011, 11:09 AM

Kevlar doesnt stop knives. And I promise you I could cover 15-20 ft quicker with a knife than most people(including cops) can draw a weapon and fire a shot that sufficiently stops me being a threat.

Not condoning this particular incident, just giving their view on the dark side as someone who used to be one of themwhose trained in all their shenanigans.

pcosmar
09-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Kevlar doesnt stop knives. And I promise you I could cover 15-20 ft quicker with a knife than most people(including cops) can draw a weapon and fire a shot that sufficiently stops me being a threat.

Not condoning this particular incident, just giving their view on the dark side as someone who used to be one of themwhose trained in all their shenanigans.

Perhaps,, But I have stood naked in a shower and disarmed a knife wielding attacker.

I am 5'8" and at that time about 125-130 lbs. And I ain't no "billy bad ass".

I'd say these guys are severely lacking in testicular fortitude.

coastie
09-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Perhaps,, But I have stood naked in a shower and disarmed a knife wielding attacker.

I am 5'8" and at that time about 125-130 lbs. And I ain't no "billy bad ass".

I'd say these guys are severely lacking in testicular fortitude.

I agree. It was certainly not like this in CG LE. I cant fathom how they can do this shit and get
away with it.

fisharmor
09-02-2011, 12:20 PM
But it does drag me down.

/ends whining.

Well, nobody is focusing on this nugget:

Earlier this year, Nassau County Police Officers shot and killed a twenty-one-year-old who was allegedly carrying a knife in Massapequa Park; the incident resulted in a loss of a police officer by friendly fire.

If nothing else, there's the hope that eventually someone on the inside will get a clue that they're fucking retards and shouldn't be allowed near firearms.

AFPVet
09-02-2011, 12:34 PM

Not condoning this particular incident, just giving their view on the dark side as someone who used to be one of them whose trained in all their shenanigans.

They do have trauma inserts now for soft vests which are good for knives. I have one, but the front/back ceramic plates are better. I remember in training, we were showed how fast a perp with a knife or other weapon can close the distance. This was why you want to keep the distance and draw at the same time. Of course, then there are the basic HTH skills such as using kicks to keep the subject away from your body.