PDA

View Full Version : Should Paul and Bachmann make the decision together?

pauliticalfan
08-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Regarding the debate/Obama's joint session, assuming it's not rescheduled, wouldn't it make sense for Paul and Bachmann to stand up and release some kind of statement together saying they're both going to attend the debate? This way, if Paul decides to go to the debate and Bachmann doesn't, it won't reflect poorly on Ron. This gives them both a chance to attend the debate. Look, I'm not a big fan of Michele Bachmann, but this is simply a case where there's strength in numbers, and Ron would take less heat for missing the session. Also, from what I hear they are friends so this could potentially happen. Does anyone see any benefit to something like this?

teacherone
08-31-2011, 03:41 PM
that's a very interesting idea...

+rep

wilcox71
08-31-2011, 03:43 PM
Boehner seems to be handling it. I think that's the correct course of action.

pauliticalfan
08-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Boehner seems to be handling it. I think that's the correct course of action.

From what I understand, he wants the session moved to Thursday. Obama's probably not gonna do this if he has his way, since it would be during NFL kick off. I honestly don't know the official rules of this kind of thing, like if the POTUS or the Speaker has the final word, or if all sides have to agree.

Maximus
08-31-2011, 03:58 PM
From the looks of it, it sounds like Boehner has to agree.

Tarzan
08-31-2011, 04:15 PM
From the looks of it, it sounds like Boehner has to agree.

BHO cannot demand a joint session of congress. He does not have the authority.

Both houses of the congress must agree to such a meeting through a joint resolution. The House and the Senate must agree and INVITE the president to the House floor, where such a meeting is held. So, the choice is not Boners alone... nor is it something BHO can order.

BHO has requested a joint session on September 17th. The House and Senate get to decide when to invite him... they could change the date in their joint resolution. That is, IF they decide to invite him.

freeforall
08-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Wouldn't it be awesome if they chose not to invite him at all over this?! *dreaming*

Ronpauljones
08-31-2011, 04:29 PM
Wouldn't it be awesome if they chose not to invite him at all over this?! *dreaming*

Yes :D

CaptainAmerica
08-31-2011, 04:39 PM
No. I think Ron can make his own decisions.

NickOdell
08-31-2011, 04:43 PM
No. I think Ron can make his own decisions.

I don't think anyone is going to influence his decision, honestly. We don't have to worry about that :)

However it may be a smart move to encourage Bachmann to follow his lead.

Tarzan
08-31-2011, 04:44 PM

REJECTED!!! And you are not dreaming!

Boner asks for another date:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?312904-Boehner-Follows-Ron-Paul-s-Lead-Obama-REJECTED-From-Wed-Speech