PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in a Ron Paul T-Shirt

Romulus
08-31-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm creating this thread to document our adventures while sporting Ron Paul shirts. For me it's always interesting to hear these conversations and interactions.

The last 2 days I ran errands with a campaign looking RP 2012 shirt. Big graphic on the back and small logo on the front. At Office Max, the girl behind the counter said "You know, I've never really been into politics at all, but Ron Paul makes me actually care". I was delighted to hear that.. and replied that she's not the only one who feels that way..

The next day I went to pickup a craigslist purchase... I got there, said yeah, it looks great, I'll take it. He looks at my shirt and says "Ron Paul, huh?" Me: "Yep". and I hand him $25. He says "Go ahead and keep it". I say "No way, this is yours." and he said, "For a Ron Paul supporter, you can have it - spend it somewhere else". I said, fine, I'll donate it! That just made my day right there.

And yet at another stop where I purchase items, the owner of the store (I already know he's a supporter) commented on my shirt and told me he was thrilled when John Stewart responded! So we talked a little more then I finished up my day.

I would say more than half the time I'm out in public I get comments when wearing an RP shirt. I have yet to get a truley negative remark. It makes me feel like I'm connecting with people who think and feel the same, yet need that reassurance they are not alone.

Please feel free to add your own experiences while wearing an RP shirt. I'll keep this thread updated and continue to add mine as well.

Bruno
08-31-2011, 12:09 PM
+ rep

Great stories and great idea to start a thread to share them.

And remember that when you wear a Ron Paul shirt, you represent Ron Paul!

PastaRocket848
08-31-2011, 12:40 PM
i had a shirt my buddy made back during the 2008 campaign that was essentially the classic "che" shirt re-done with ron paul's face (and a gadsden snake instead of the communist star).

i was at a bar after the primary but before the general election, when some drunk guy tried to pick a fight with me for "supporting a murdering monster". needless to say he felt pretty stupid after he took a closer look, and it turned out he was a (soft) supporter as well. we spent the rest of the night debating whether one should vote for mccain in the general.

to be honest i was upset that someone calling themselves a freedom advocate would attack me over my own political beliefs, even if they were mis-interpreted. freedom is about the freedom to disagree as well... we need to remember that when we're representing ron.

twister5400
08-31-2011, 01:05 PM
i wore my shirt out on saturday night. went to a local music venue. there were probably about 150-200 people there. i got great comments all night. the bartender was like, "i voted for him last time even though i had to write him in." i emphasized how important it will be to get as many folks to the primary as possible. probably like 15 or more different folks gave compliments. it was pretty encouraging. one girl wouldn't stop talking about how important it was to get as many of your friends to the primary as possible. i couldn't believe she was telling me this. ha. it was pretty cool.

Eric21ND
08-31-2011, 04:40 PM
I love these personal stories! We need to do more of this. Do you guys have RP literature or anything with you to hand to people in case they ask you about him or are just casual supporters.

Chainspell
08-31-2011, 06:11 PM
I approve this thread!

I'm waiting for my pins to come in! I'm gonna wear it everyday at work! I'm gonna be posting on this thread soon!

CaptUSA
08-31-2011, 06:15 PM
I wore mine to a Jeep parade and festival a couple of weeks ago. It was downtown main street in a smaller town. The response was friendly. I got a few nods and winks and people who were really happy to see another supporter. I met another guy wearing one as well. The best was talking to some jeep enthusiasts about the freedom of riding around with the top down and doors off. I said, "look, dude, I'm wearing a Paul T-shirt! I'm all about freedom!" Smiles and knowing handshakes followed.

chudrockz
08-31-2011, 06:17 PM
This is pretty awesome, I need to aquire me a Ron Paul shirt or five to wear also!

CaptUSA
08-31-2011, 06:19 PM
I just got my new one and can't wait to wear it out... I have to think of something cool to do this weekend. I'm going to a Ray LaMontagne concert in a few weeks, but I can't wait for that.

mport1
08-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Almost every time I wear a Ron Paul shirt I get positive comments. One time I ran into an organizer of the Ron Paul Meetup in my area who I didn't even know lived in my building. Then in the elevator I ran into an older lady, maybe in her 70s, who said she really liked Ron Paul.

Eric21ND
08-31-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm still waiting patiently for my shirt. UPS screwed up my shipment from RonPaulSwag.

speciallyblend
08-31-2011, 07:37 PM
this thread gives me goosebumps:) I work at a major hotel and my car is parked near the front desk so my ron paul 2012 magnets and stickers are seen:) we get an average of 100-150 rooms sold a night! Not one negative comment from anyone coming in and at least 2-4 positive comments from folks asking whos car is in the parking lot:) Ron Paul 2012

Nickwanz
08-31-2011, 07:40 PM
I was gonna get a ticket for out of date inspection sticker but got a warning cuz i had my 'Ron Paul is my homeboy' shirt on. This was a couple months ago.

Smus
08-31-2011, 07:46 PM
I was at the MN State Fair, my wife was looking around and saw a young gent with a RP shirt, she's fairly political and pointed it out to me. I yelled at the guy "Nice shirt" and gave him a thumbs up.

I really need a shirt... :(

raiha
08-31-2011, 07:54 PM
I was walking my dog on a beach in Auckland NZ. As happens when one walks one's dog, my dog and someone else's dog start playing. The owner of said dog was domiciled here in NZ and his papa had just got off the plane to visit him. He was from Pennsylvania and still jet-lagged. Never been here before. We chatted about Irene and somehow we started talking about the economy.
Then i startled him by unzipping my sweater and revealing the contents therein. Ron Paul for Prez!! He baulked! I am still not sure whether his baulking was because of my strip show or Ron Paul!

He then started saying it was unrealistic to want to End the Fed. To which I launched into a diatribe about the Fed being a cartel and the economy being a ponzi scheme.Of course i mentioned the Hank Paulson Goldman Sachs connection and used a few of Max Keiserisms such as "economic terrorists" I was very respectful to him and tried not to rant. My friend later told me I seemed to know more about what was occuring than the hapless Pennsylvanian.
Apparently I had told the hapless Pennsylvanian, the economy was going down the toilet X 3!! (Repetition and continuity is needed to instil new awareness!)

Anyway, that's what happens to hapless, jet-lagged Pennsylvanians who sally forth on a blustery late winter's day in Auckland!
I think I am a Ron Paul Bore!

speciallyblend
08-31-2011, 08:49 PM
I was walking my dog on a beach in Auckland NZ. As happens when one walks one's dog, my dog and someone else's dog start playing. The owner of said dog was domiciled here in NZ and his papa had just got off the plane to visit him. He was from Pennsylvania and still jet-lagged. Never been here before. We chatted about Irene and somehow we started talking about the economy.
Then i startled him by unzipping my sweater and revealing the contents therein. Ron Paul for Prez!! He baulked! I am still not sure whether his baulking was because of my strip show or Ron Paul!

He then started saying it was unrealistic to want to End the Fed. To which I launched into a diatribe about the Fed being a cartel and the economy being a ponzi scheme.Of course i mentioned the Hank Paulson Goldman Sachs connection and used a few of Max Keiserisms such as "economic terrorists" I was very respectful to him and tried not to rant. My friend later told me I seemed to know more about what was occuring than the hapless Pennsylvanian.
Apparently I had told the hapless Pennsylvanian, the economy was going down the toilet X 3!! (Repetition and continuity is needed to instil new awareness!)

Anyway, that's what happens to hapless, jet-lagged Pennsylvanians who sally forth on a blustery late winter's day in Auckland!
I think I am a Ron Paul Bore!

haha great story, more like a honeybadger:) you tube honeybadger with randall if you haven't seen the video:) i am at work and cannot post videos!!

orenbus
08-31-2011, 09:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2RzXi__Nhs

harikaried
09-03-2011, 10:55 AM
This Saturday, I'm up in Ashland, OR for the festival around here. Got my Ron Paul Design t-shirt on for t-shirt Saturday! Will report back with any stories.

Telkandore
09-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Overheard from a couple who passed me on the sidewalk in Harvard Square in the People's Republic of Cambridge, Massachusetts (while I had a giant RP shirt on):

Girl: "Who's Ron Paul?"
Guy: "He's the Republican who's a liberal."

Yeah, ugh. But, given the environment, I'm pretty sure it was a positive statement.

JamesButabi
09-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Because I don't have a new shirt yet, I will share a few other RP merch stories.

I have the white magnet on the side of my car from the campaign store. Mostly, people like to beep and thumbs up or just yell something supportive at red lights. Most people don't have stickers themselves. I keep a stack in the car, and act as a mobile bumper sticker dispenser lol.

I also grabbed a stack of the Ron Paul tax free tip cards. Great conversation starters. Also good to see people putting them in their pocket after a quick glance rather than chucking them.

chudrockz
09-03-2011, 12:29 PM
I was at the MN State Fair, my wife was looking around and saw a young gent with a RP shirt, she's fairly political and pointed it out to me. I yelled at the guy "Nice shirt" and gave him a thumbs up.

I really need a shirt... :(

Cool! Dunno if wife and I will make it to the Fair this year or not, we're still discussing.

On a side note, does anyone know of a source where I can get a nice RP tshirt that is BIGGER than 3x? That is the biggest size the official site has, and some of us (cough, cough) need a 5xl, preferably T as well. <g>

devil21
09-03-2011, 04:41 PM
I have two RP 2012 shirts and have gotten more comments and convos from them than I can remember. 75% are positive. One convo started with some BoA employee Republicans telling me they liked RP but he couldnt win so I should support some status quo candidate. After a long discussion they couldnt muster any defense to why RP should be President and voting for more-of-the-same guarantees a loss to Obama. I can't say they will vote for RP but the logic did appear to sink in!

While walking down the sidewalk in Greenville SC before the May debate (with Josh, Kotin, and others) the visceral reactions to the shirt were obvious. One guy glared like he wanted to punch me. A good-looking young lady looked up at the shirt as I walked past and I can swear she would have fucked me right on the sidewalk if I had let her. The shirts do get reactions. Its the job of the wearer to turn them into votes.

2young2vote
09-03-2011, 04:59 PM
I was striding through campus in my Ron Paul t-shirt and received a "Ron Paul? FUCK YEAH"

Just recently I was standing in the checkout line in walmart and the guy in front of me said some good things about him. He said he was reading one of his books in the back and basically said we are screwed if we don't listen to Ron.

wgadget
09-03-2011, 05:20 PM
I ♥ these stories!
:)

Tarzan
09-03-2011, 06:01 PM
I ♥ these stories!
:)

Ditto! I would like to see peoples pictures as well.

pauladin
09-03-2011, 06:19 PM
I've worn my ron paul shirt here at Yuba College in California often and now and then someone will say something along the lines of "i like your shirt". One guy was a former marine and a ron paul supporter since '07. had about a twenty minute conversation with him.

Steve-in-NY
09-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Im waiting for a shirt. Ive had a Ron Paul bumper sticker on my truck for about a month now... havent gotten any response at all. Not even an egg thrown. Nothing.

Romulus
09-03-2011, 07:48 PM
This happened awhile ago but I was in a restaurant picking up some to go food and a kid about 18-19 yrs was eating, looks up and says, "Hey man, nice shirt".. A nod and thanks back to him... its like a secret code.. people who get it will let you know...

I mean, would YOU say something if weren't wearing your shirt and saw someone wearing a RP shirt? I know I would!

On a side note, does anyone know of a source where I can get a nice RP tshirt that is BIGGER than 3x? That is the biggest size the official site has, and some of us (cough, cough) need a 5xl, preferably T as well. <g>

I can get a 5xl shirt for you if you need it...

limequat
09-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Hmm. I wear my 2008 shirt about once a week. I don't think anyone has ever said anything to me about it.

Tarzan
09-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Hmm. I wear my 2008 shirt about once a week. I don't think anyone has ever said anything to me about it.

Try going outside and wearing it in public.
You get limited exposure sitting in front of the TV or computer. :D

BlackTerrel
09-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Great thread OP. I actually have so many old t-shirts I got for free that I haven't bought one in years but now I am thinking I need to buy 1 (or twelve).

wgadget
09-04-2011, 11:56 AM

Ummm....Maybe it's the 2008 that's causing lack of conversation these days? Just a wild guess. :p

coastie
09-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Ummm....Maybe it's the 2008 that's causing lack of conversation these days? Just a wild guess. :p

Nah, I go to Gulf Coast State College in Panama City, FL, and I wear my 2012 shirts at least once a week(Mondays:p)-and I get nothing but odd stares....:confused::rolleyes:

I have yet to see anyone other than myself there with a RP shirt, semester started Aug 22 ....

This one tool bag in my sociology class that comes in blazed all to hell(and lets everyone know it:rolleyes:), real disruptive, ("hey look at me, I need attention, where's my Ritalin?"), you know the type-he says he's voting for him, but I really dont talk to him much, he's extremely disruptive and I fell uncomfortable being "associated" with him, you know? He's 18-20 ish, and acts like he's 14. I guess a vote is a vote, but I can see peoples reactions towards this person and he's a real turn-off, and I hate that that crap is also potentially costing us older, (and perhaps younger voters).

Around town, same thing. I see people looking, make I contact, say hi, whatever, but no one ever says/asks anything about RP.:(

No Free Beer
09-04-2011, 12:51 PM
I wore my Ron Paul shirt to the US Open. Not one person ever came up to me and said anything. BUT, when I was leaving, the employee that stands by the gates and says bye to everyone asked me as I was leaving, "did you have fun?" To which I responded, "yeah, good time." Now, before I tell you what happened, I want to let you know that there were hundreds of people around me and this employee, because they were all leaving as well. Anyway, right after I told him I had a good time, he yells...literally yells out, "RON PAUL REVOLUTION! END THE FED!" I started cracking up. Just imagine if you are someone, 10 - 20 yards, hell...even 50 yards behind me and you hear someone shout that out...that's classic! Anyway, great exposure! Great fun!

Eric21ND
09-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Try going outside and wearing it in public.
You get limited exposure sitting in front of the TV or computer. :D
Or your mom's basement for that matter. Nobody likes it in that dank place except toady :toady:

Maximilian American
09-04-2011, 01:50 PM
I just came back from Whole Foods here in the Sunny South and had a great conversation with an older man in his 60's about Ron Paul. To start it off he pointed at the shirt and said "great man". We spent over 20 minutes talking about The Fed, History, The campaign, etc while many people were shopping around us. He lives nearby and we exchanged information to later hang out and share books and other liberty stuff together, definitely a start to a good friendship. I'm always getting looks and smiles, especially from ladies after they glance at my RP shirts.

Chainspell
09-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Nah, I go to Gulf Coast State College in Panama City, FL, and I wear my 2012 shirts at least once a week(Mondays:p)-and I get nothing but odd stares....:confused::rolleyes:

I have yet to see anyone other than myself there with a RP shirt, semester started Aug 22 ....

This one tool bag in my sociology class that comes in blazed all to hell(and lets everyone know it:rolleyes:), real disruptive, ("hey look at me, I need attention, where's my Ritalin?"), you know the type-he says he's voting for him, but I really dont talk to him much, he's extremely disruptive and I fell uncomfortable being "associated" with him, you know? He's 18-20 ish, and acts like he's 14. I guess a vote is a vote, but I can see peoples reactions towards this person and he's a real turn-off, and I hate that that crap is also potentially costing us older, (and perhaps younger voters).

Around town, same thing. I see people looking, make I contact, say hi, whatever, but no one ever says/asks anything about RP.:(
Coz your state sucks!!

Lol my state of WA suck. Lol not alot of people over here heard of ron paul. They have these blank faces...most of them don't vote. The only 2 guys who knew who he was were both in the conspiracy theorists category..

wgadget
09-04-2011, 05:58 PM
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()() ()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Just showing off my new sig.:D

surf
09-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Coz your state sucks!!

Lol my state of WA suck. Lol not alot of people over here heard of ron paul. They have these blank faces...most of them don't vote. The only 2 guys who knew who he was were both in the conspiracy theorists category..
this is why we can win WA. there are enough anti-war pro-pot folks and all it takes is to convince folks that our guy is the only one for them.

V3n
09-06-2011, 01:34 PM
I wore my shirt on Labor Day Monday, traveling back home. We stopped in Chicago for a pit-stop and and as I was headed toward the restroom door a young man was coming out and held the door open for me. "Nice shirt, go Ron Paul!" he said as I passed through. "Yes!"

Steve-in-NY
09-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Im waiting for a shirt. Ive had a Ron Paul bumper sticker on my truck for about a month now... havent gotten any response at all. Not even an egg thrown. Nothing.
Got my first honk/thumbs-up today going to lunch! Whoo Hoo!

Jackie Treehorn
09-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Wore a Ron Paul shirt to a Rangers game one time: http://youtu.be/oIsdtB5MpDk

wgadget
09-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Just wanted to say that last Tuesday I wore my Ron Paul Restore America t-shirt to work. I work at a university...I wasn't sure what the reaction would be, but the first girl who saw me said, "Hey! I like your shirt!" and then she told me that "He's the one I'm voting for." It's so encouraging to find out that you're among kindred spirits, even at work... :)

Romulus
09-19-2011, 09:26 PM
It happened again... this time, I was just wearing a plain shirt, with only the R3volution logo on my sleeve, and the guy working at Radio Shack says he liked my shirt.. and with a big grin I told him how happy I was to hear that. He has been a supporter since 07 and said the coworker kid showed him a youtube of Ron recently and told him, yep he's the real deal... so, he has youngsters approaching him as well....

The guy was right... wearing a RP shirt proves to me how deep our support is quickly becoming....

Tumn1s
09-20-2011, 12:14 AM
I wear my Ron Paul 2012 shirt every time I go to the gym. A HUGE guy came up to me the other day and said "Hey, Nice Shirt, Glad I'm not the only crazy one!". Another guy I was talking to told me he really liked my shirt, we talked about the last debate and he mentioned that he would be voting for Dr. Paul as well. The funny thing is... my shirt is kinda small... I got a medium and probably should have gotten a large, not thinking how much it would shrink.. so I look kinda like a beefcake wearing it and I'm pretty sure most of the girls who regularly see me know me as the Ron Paul guy. I just got another shirt when I donated for the money bomb, can't wait to get it!

Lets_Race
10-02-2011, 06:25 PM
This weekend, I went to a farmers' market and one of the farmers there commented "nice shirt" and we struck up a conversation about Ron Paul. He recommended the book "The Creature from Jekyll Island", which was already on my reading list :) I visited my aunt and she also commented on the shirt, letting me know that she was a supporter as well.

wgadget
10-02-2011, 06:52 PM
I ♥ this thread.

mosquitobite
01-15-2012, 07:20 PM
before Christmas I went into a hardware store wearing my "defend the Constitution" shirt. Some guy came into the store and made an off comment about "I love Ronnie" (I was at the register and thought he was talking about the cashier!) LOL! When I realized he was looking at me and meant my shirt we shared a few words about how great he is.

If you want to know you're not alone - wear your shirt!!

USAFCapt
01-15-2012, 07:24 PM
I wear mine to the local farmers market first Saturday of the month. 3 of the vendors say "Nice Shirt" or "I love that guy." I then walk my kids to the local park and wear it around all the parents. Mainly blank stares.

axlr
01-15-2012, 07:41 PM
On the 10th, multiple people had a discussion with me over Ron Paul after they saw me sporting a Ron Paul shirt, all of them saying that not only they, but their parents like Paul's ideas, enough to vote for him. I've had quite a few people saying the same thing over the past few months!
Before class the other day I passed by two girls, and I heard, "OMG he was wearing a Ron Paul shirt!"

And every time I wear one of my 3 shirts, at least 1 new person will ask, "Who's Ron Paul?" and to explain to people who he is, never gets old.

Kharan
01-15-2012, 08:06 PM

I receive a similar reaction about two hours east of you.

Lets_Race
01-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Remember folks, when you meet supporters, get contact info so you can get them to your caucus/primary.

tommyzDad
01-15-2012, 09:03 PM
I've no t-shirt or placard stories, but I have run into a handful of RP supports while playing online shooters. I r"an into one guy while playing Day of Defeat Source who had "[Ron Paul 2012]" appended to his player name. He had yet to join the Forums. ....

slamhead
01-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Good story. Even when I where my 08 T-shirt I get comments all the time. I am looking for a T-shirt like yours. I want a RP t-shirt with Ron Paul 2012 on the front(small logo), Ron Paul Revolution on the back and Revolution down the sleeve. Where did you get yours? I am one who does not like large logos on the front.

doronster195
01-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Just bought mine, waiting for it to arrive this week. Can't wait to wear it.

J_White
01-15-2012, 10:42 PM
inspiring !! keep them coming !

seyferjm
01-15-2012, 10:53 PM
Never had comments on mine yet, I guess I need to wear them more, lol!

DonovanJames
01-15-2012, 11:01 PM
I met up with my dad at a hotel bar this weekend for the Saints vs. 49er's game (Which was awesome) and during the game this older guy a couple stools down noticed my "I <3 Ron Paul" wrist band.. needless to say after the Saints had that dramatic losing finisher he asked me how the Ron Paul movement was looking in Springfield (Missouri). I said that our grassroots Meetup has over 110 members and growing still and that Dr. Paul won Greene County in '08.. He nodded slightly and took his last sip of his bourbon and said he flew in from Texas, 14th district to be exact, and that they love the guy down in Texas. He bought my dad and I a beer and then discreetly left.

There was something odd in his eyes now that I recall. I think it was. Hope. ;)