PDA

View Full Version : Obama schedules "Jobs" speech same time as next GOP debate

Bruno
08-31-2011, 11:13 AM
http://blog.chron.com/rickperry/2011/08/breaking-obama-schedules-jobs-speech-on-the-same-night-as-gop-debate/

President Barack Obama will make his long-awaited speech about jobs Wednesday night to a joint session of Congress at the same time that the Republican presidential candidates are scheduled to debate at the Reagan Presidential Library in California.

While the debate isn’t the first Republican debate of the cycle, it is the first since Gov. Rick Perry entered the presidential contest, and polls have shown him taking a commanding lead in the race for the GOP nomination. Political observers have said that the debate could provide crucial insights into how Mitt Romney’s and Michelle Bachmann’s campaigns (my editorial comment - gee, leave someone's name out here who is in 3rd in the polls ahead of Bachmann??) plan to deal with Perry’s surging candidacy.

In his letter to House Speaker John Boehner requesting the joint meeting of both houses of Congress, Obama wrote that he will unveil a series “bipartisan proposals” that Congress can take up immediately to “rebuild the American economy.”

However, with a presidential address to a joint session of Congress scheduled on the same night, at the same time, it’s likely that any press generated from the debate would be drowned out by the developments in Washington.

Krugerrand
08-31-2011, 11:17 AM
a congressman should bring a transistor radio of the debate and have it playing out-loud during the entire speech.

V3n
08-31-2011, 11:31 AM
Big deal, the debate only concerns the future of our Nation.. it's not like it's as important as Dancing with the Stars (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2011/03/obama-avoids-taking-on-dancing-with-the-stars/1).

TheBlackPeterSchiff
08-31-2011, 11:46 AM
Obama's speech:

"We need business to create more jobs, so what we will do in extend tax cuts to 95% of Americans, to put money in their pockets. We will also to it that those that are unemployed with continue to receive unemployment compensation. Blah blah blah blah blah. "

RM918
08-31-2011, 11:49 AM
Obama's speech:

"We need business to create more jobs, so what we will do in extend tax cuts to 95% of Americans, to put money in their pockets. We will also to it that those that are unemployed with continue to receive unemployment compensation. Blah blah blah blah blah. "

Exactly. He's going to spout another load of horseshit full of vagueries and can-dos that will amount to precisely zilch, just like every other goddamn speech he's ever made.

tangent4ronpaul
08-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Mailbomb Boehner asking him to tell obama where he can stick it as far as that time slot goes!

Romulus
08-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Nice timing...

Bruno
08-31-2011, 11:53 AM
So...if Ron Paul steals the show, Obama steals the thunder?

thehungarian
08-31-2011, 11:55 AM
"Long-awaited speech". Think they used the wrong adjectives there.

FSP-Rebel
08-31-2011, 12:06 PM
So...if Ron Paul steals the show, Obama steals the thunder?
And/or to cover up a poor performance by Perry.

tangent4ronpaul
08-31-2011, 12:31 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/31/obama-jobs-idUSN1E77U16U20110831

But the timing of the address -- on the same night as his potential Republican rivals debate how to oust him from the White House -- gives him an opportunity to upstage the other party at the same time that he is seeking its support.

Television networks not airing the Republican debate would likely broadcast Obama's address to Congress. White House spokesman Jay Carney said the timing was "coincidental."

^^ ROTGLMAO!!!!!!

tangent4ronpaul
08-31-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm really liking this! The story isn't Obama's job plan, it's about Obama stepping on the GOP debate and dirty politics. The liberals are dancing in glee and the Republicans are screaming fowl and boycott!

Obama stomps on GOP debate plans

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20099881-503544.html

Updated: 1:57 p.m. ET

The White House says President Obama's decision to schedule a joint session to Congress at the same time as a high-profile Republican presidential debate is merely a coincidence.

But others are not so sure.

Some liberal commentators are already applauding what they perceive as a strategic move to overshadow the GOP competition.

"THIS is the Obama I like: Jobs Address to Joint Session of Congress 9/7 8 pm - same hour as GOP debate #PreemptThemhttp://j.mp/pdIJzw," liberal television commentator Keith Olbermann tweeted in response to the news.

RNC chair Reince Priebus suggested that the scheduling conflict was purely political.

".@BarackObama request to give jobs speech the same night as GOP Presidential debate is further proof this WH is all politics all the time," he said in a Tweet.

=========
part of a comment:

The Republicans in Congress should boycott this speech. This is another example of dirty politics by Obama.

All Obama is interesting doing is campaigning to the detriment of the American people. Scheduling this at the same time as the debate proves it. And we thought Nixon was bad...

What Obama is going to do is make a bunch of proposals including more RECKLESS SPENDING and TAX INCREASES that he knows cannot pass the House. Then he will use that outcome to campaign indicating the Republicans are not working to fix the economy. This is DIRTY POLITICS of the highest order. Obama is putting his reelection AMBITION ahead of what is good for the country. Getting elected is more important than the SUFFERING of the American people to Obama. This COMPLETE DISREGARD for the welfare of the American people shows how urgent it is to vote Obama out of office.

georgiaboy
08-31-2011, 12:54 PM
1. This is definitely a political move by Obama/D's to keep independents and 'blue Republicans' from tuning into the GOP debate. Especially because of Ron Paul's rise in media attention over the last couple of weeks.

2. As a solution, if the White House will not re-schedule Obama's speech, the GOP should move their debate, and I'd say either move it to just before Obama's speech, or the day before. Simple as that. Make sure that the GOP contenders speak up about this during the debate.

wgadget
08-31-2011, 01:14 PM
Wow Obama is so Perryesque. They probably colluded on this one. They're saying MSNBC can reschedule the debate. Shouldn't be that big a deal IMO.

muzzled dogg
08-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Blue republican prospects will watch obomba instead of ron

V3n
08-31-2011, 01:24 PM
If they don't move the time of the debate they'll definitely re-air it another night, or maybe later that same night
(but that version may get edited)..
I don't think the network would risk losing the ratings. They'll air it one way or another. Still I hope they move it rather than settle for a re-play.

Ronpauljones
08-31-2011, 01:27 PM
1. This is definitely a political move by Obama/D's to keep independents and 'blue Republicans' from tuning into the GOP debate. Especially because of Ron Paul's rise in media attention over the last couple of weeks.

2. As a solution, if the White House will not re-schedule Obama's speech, the GOP should move their debate, and I'd say either move it to just before Obama's speech, or the day before. Simple as that. Make sure that the GOP contenders speak up about this during the debate.

^ This. They absolutely should move the debate. I'm pissed.

muzzled dogg
08-31-2011, 01:38 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/62427.html

Edit: Ron can try to stop this

tangent4ronpaul
08-31-2011, 01:38 PM
Someone with POLITICO was saying they might move it back an hour. One journalist was saying the WH really screwed up here. Stepping on the debate makes Obama look bad and because he's doing his speech in such a high profile way (joint session of Congress), unless he comes up with something really new and good, that will also reflect badly on him.

The best part is that his dirty trick is probably going to backfire in another way. Instead of stealing viewers from the debate, they are probably going to push it back an hour and broadcast them back to back - increasing viewership and you know what the debate questions and media coverage the next day will be all about.

Thanks for the horrendous screw up Obama!

-t

The Midnight Ride
08-31-2011, 01:48 PM

I think that Ron would score some serious points with the Republican base by making a move like this. Still sounds like the best solution though would be for the White House to move the speech.

ItsTime
08-31-2011, 01:50 PM
So he is totally incompetent? No news here.

CaptainAmerica
08-31-2011, 01:51 PM
Obama is really making me angry, he really is a child who throws tantrums when he thinks he can have his way.

ItsTime
08-31-2011, 01:51 PM

He should do this. STAND UP to Obama, that will play well with the GOP base :D

tangent4ronpaul
08-31-2011, 02:00 PM
Paul might score some points but Obama could loose big if he goes ahead.

One other little point is that Congress isn't scheduled to return till that night. By return, I mean come into town - not have a session of Congress. Can you imagine the impact it would have if he gave the speech and a significant portion of Congress didn't show up?

For those that do change their plans and return early - well, they won't be too happy either!

-t

wgadget
08-31-2011, 02:09 PM
So Ron is making waves about the timing of the debate... WHILE HE AND BACHMANN HAVE BEEN EFFECTIVELY SHUT OUT .. I smell a rat.

Romulus
08-31-2011, 02:20 PM
Wow Obama is so Perryesque. They probably colluded on this one. They're saying MSNBC can reschedule the debate. Shouldn't be that big a deal IMO.

And Obama can reschedule his speech. Afterall, the debate was planned first, yes?

georgiaboy
08-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Better to move the debate before the joint session and make sure every single Republican legislator is in attendance at Obama's speech than to give Obama the counter-ammunition of "the Republicans don't care about jobs as much as I do".

Just be sure that every Republican who must change their travel plans & itineraries makes loud noise about this.

Heck, they should do Obama one better and ask him why he is waiting a whole week if he has a jobs plan ready to share? Let's have the session tomorrow! We need jobs!

Play it right, GOP wins all over the place on this one.

wgadget
08-31-2011, 02:28 PM
And Obama can reschedule his speech. Afterall, the debate was planned first, yes?
Yes absolutely. I posted before I knew all the ramifications to Ron's debate appearance. Here's hoping he can use this sick situation to make lemonade.

wgadget
08-31-2011, 02:30 PM
On the other hand HOW THE HECK CAN GOVERNMENT "CREATE JOBS"?

CaptainAmerica
08-31-2011, 02:34 PM
On the other hand HOW THE HECK CAN GOVERNMENT "CREATE JOBS"? by throwing a tantrum and raising taxes to expand the government

puppetmaster
08-31-2011, 02:50 PM
how about rp schedules time for a rebuttal speech right after it?....dont know there has to be a way to benefit from asshats jobs bs

freeforall
08-31-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm wondering what is going on with the left hand while they are waving this distraction with the right.

puppetmaster
08-31-2011, 03:09 PM
ok here is an idea.....the obama admin just raided a business that creates jobs, Gibson Guitars. All while saying they want to create jobs. Ron should point this out during the debate first and really make it stick. Maybe also point out that they were a republican donor but the other guitar companies that were not raided for the same thing are democrat donors.....as I have read.

purplechoe
08-31-2011, 03:43 PM
Who the hell watches these things anyway, like we don't get enough propaganda on the daily basis..

Working Poor
08-31-2011, 03:47 PM
very interesting:rolleyes:

Ninja Homer
08-31-2011, 03:47 PM
You can do it Obama... jump that shark! Yes you can!

This is something I'd expect from W. I guess I didn't realize we had another spoiled child for a president. It's like a 3-year-old starting a fight with their sibling just to get their parent's attention.

My prediction... Ron's gonna make a bunch of lemonade.

tangent4ronpaul
08-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Obama, Boehner spar on timing of big jobs speech

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hvJNkNKIJiVJEcZLbr9S_wsWTSkQ?docId=020807fdb 70a4312a57ddf00d6b4220a

WASHINGTON (AP) — In a sudden political shoving match, President Barack Obama asked Congress to convene an extraordinary joint session next Wednesday to hear his much-anticipated proposals to put jobless Americans back to work but House Speaker John Boehner balked and told the president he ought to wait and speak a day later.

If Obama gets his way, his speech will upstage a Republican presidential debate scheduled for the same time. If Boehner prevails, the president's address could conflict with the opening game of the National Football League season.

Obama doesn't want to compete with football - LOL!

Good one Boehner!

-t

tasteless
08-31-2011, 05:12 PM
Yeah, a coincidence. Just like how that Bin Laden film is going to be released right before the election.

moderate libertarian
08-31-2011, 05:12 PM
It's just a drama and an act. They both are controlled by same sleaze.

georgiaboy
08-31-2011, 06:18 PM
how about rp schedules time for a rebuttal speech right after it?....dont know there has to be a way to benefit from asshats jobs bs

Something along these lines works for me.

Kylie
08-31-2011, 07:01 PM
On one of the shows that he would never normally give an interview to.

I like it. Tear the plan a new asshole......better make sure your best staff writers are on that plan, Dr. Paul.