PDA

View Full Version : The Lesson of Bruce Keough

jgmaynard
11-04-2007, 12:44 PM
People in NH will know the name, but for the rest of you, let me give you the skinny:

The 2002 Republican Primary for Governor had three candidates running: (Soon to be Governor) Craig Benson, former Senator Gordon Humphrey and the little-known Bruce Keough, who was running WAY behind in the polls with even a few days left. Here's a typical letter to the Editor from right before that election (from a state rep even!):

To the Editor: (http://archive.seacoastonline.com/2002news/dover/d9_6_letters.htm)

The race for governor will be decided on September 10. Our next governor will be either Craig Benson or Gordon Humphrey. Period. The candidates all know it and most of the voters know it. No one else is even close...

The Benson block... know[s] that a vote for Keough is a vote taken away from Humphrey, thereby increasing Benson’s chances of a victory...

Has anyone noticed that Humphrey has not uttered one word of criticism about Keough? In the first place Keough is not the competition. Also, Bruce Keough is a fine person for whom Gordon Humphrey has the greatest respect. Keough is too new on the scene to have the name recognition, grass roots support, and resources needed to win this primary. However, I am convinced that he will be an important figure in the political future of NH and may even play a role in the next administration.

But to desert Humphrey and to support Keough at this time is to shoot yourself in the foot.. if you don’t want to help Benson prove that he actually CAN buy the governorship. Make no mistake about it; if you want Benson as your next governor, then check either Benson or Keough on your ballot, both are a vote for Benson.

And when you are making your decision consider whether you want a person who has spent seven and a half MILLION dollars on his campaign, an almost obscene amount; or a someone who has said that if elected governor, he will squeeze every nickel and dime and look under every rock for waste and needless government spending. Who do you want to trust as the steward of your tax dollars?

Vote for Gordon Humphrey for governor on September 10, a frugal spender with valuable experience and a proven track record.

Rep. Phyllis Woods
Strafford District 11
Dover

This letter was printed just 4 days before the primary, and the polls were listing Keough at 3%. So? What happened?

Keough DEFEATED Humphrey and nearly defeated Benson (http://www.sos.nh.gov/stateprimary2002/rgovsum.htm).

Why? Simple. Humphrey and Benson spent MILLIONS on attack ads, tearing each other down. Keough spent far less money, only touting the positive things about himself. By the time the election rolled around, there was a feeling of complete disgust with Humphrey and Benson's mudslinging, and Keough's numbers rose from 3 to nearly 30 percent in just a few days.

I know Buch ran negative ads in 92 and won NH, but really... Positive ads about Ron, especially combined with negative ads from (and directed against) each of the Rudy McRomsons can reap huge rewards.

Now, I'm not saying negative ads can't come from "The PAC for Health Freedom" attacking Romney, for instance, but to play well in NH, it's my opinion our PACs would be FAR better off keeping Ron's name far away from any negative ads. Let the people think the anti-Rudy ads are coming from Romney and the anti-Romney ads are coming from Rudy.

Just my opinion, I just have been wanting to write this for a while. :)

JM

bbachtung
11-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the insight into NH politics.

We should all keep this in mind.

KoozieChaz
11-04-2007, 12:53 PM
I agree. I've long been a non-fan of negative attack ads. My grandmother likes to send me email forwards about anti-hillary and anti-obama. I already know who I'm NOT going to vote for. Whats the point. I like to counter by sending something about Ron.