PDA

View Full Version : Are airline pilots forgetting how to fly?

low preference guy
08-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Are airline pilots forgetting how to fly? As planes become ever more reliant on automation to navigate crowded skies, safety officials worry there will be more deadly accidents traced to pilots who have lost their hands-on instincts in the air.

[...]

Spurred in part by federal regulations that require greater reliance on computerized flying, the airline industry is suffering from "automation addiction," said Rory Kay, an airline captain and co-chairman of a Federal Aviation Administration committee on pilot training.

Read the rest. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44324527/ns/business/#.Tlzs16h6KuI)

Ekrub
08-30-2011, 02:48 PM
I watched a documentary and the France airbus that crashed off the coast of rio not too long ago. And there was speculation (if I remember correctly) that the pilots would have had a tough time overriding the airplanes computer.

Revolution_Ready
08-30-2011, 02:54 PM
The majority of accidents are pilot error.

The plane I fly is considered archaic compared to some of the more modern airliners like the Airbuses. And we are prohibited from hand flying it in quite a few different phases of flight. The plane simply can do most things better than we can. I think it's a matter of time before we are not called pilots anymore, but something else like a trained IT pilot technician. Where autopilot disconnection is an emergency maneuver only.

Anti Federalist
08-30-2011, 05:34 PM
We are fast making our own damn selves superfluous.

Yay, SKYNET. Or maybe WALL-e.

Fuck a bunch of self driving cars, self flying planes and self navigating ships.

CaptainAmerica
08-30-2011, 05:36 PM
The majority of accidents are pilot error.

The plane I fly is considered archaic compared to some of the more modern airliners like the Airbuses. And we are prohibited from hand flying it in quite a few different phases of flight. The plane simply can do most things better than we can. I think it's a matter of time before we are not called pilots anymore, but something else like a trained IT pilot technician. Where autopilot disconnection is an emergency maneuver only. How would you know it was pilot error if the industry protects its computers reputation?

flightlesskiwi
08-30-2011, 05:55 PM
We are fast making our own damn selves superfluous.

Yay, SKYNET. Or maybe WALL-e.

Fuck a bunch of self driving cars, self flying planes and self navigating ships.

+1. loss of skill. loss of freedom. loss of fun. all in the name of "safety."

side note: i swear the FAA is doing everything in its power to shut down private plane ownership.

Anti Federalist
08-30-2011, 06:03 PM

And it's evil doppleganger, "efficiency".

side note: i swear the FAA is doing everything in its power to shut down private plane ownership.

Fits the playbook.

The whole of the government apparatus is geared toward suppressing the small, the independent, the unregulated, the "non compliant".

low preference guy
08-30-2011, 06:08 PM
I don't mind automatic drivers but I do oppose the government mandating their use.

heavenlyboy34
08-30-2011, 06:34 PM

Kind of reminds me of how spell-check tends to turn people into lazy spellers when writing longhand. Then there's the way people incorporate "text speak" into emails, memos, etc. Drives me NUTS! I can hardly understand any of the text gibberish. :P /end rant

Danke
08-30-2011, 10:19 PM
Rapid expansion and "diversity" requirements have lead to a weak pilot force. I have been an instructor in both the military and a major airline. The shit I have seen...