PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Jim DeMint says he Won't Seek Re-election in 2016

bobbyw24
08-30-2011, 05:30 AM
“Pending some unforeseen circumstances,” U.S. Sen. Jim DeMint told the Columbia Rotary Club Monday he will not run for re-election in 2016.

“If you see the finish line, you can give it all you’ve got,” DeMint said. “There are very few people who have been (in Congress) over 10 years who are still fighting for something. That’s what Americans want us to do, right now, is to fight for the right thing — even if we lose.”

DeMint added he will not run for president, either, quipping, "I think I'm the only senator who does not see a president when I look in the mirror."

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/08/30/122559/sc-sen-demint-says-he-wont-run.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=news#ixzz1WVjeOPzF

Working Poor
08-30-2011, 06:18 AM
I kinda like Demint I would vote for him against Obama or Perry

bobbyw24
08-30-2011, 06:28 AM

Yeah-hope they find a good replacement for him

malkusm
08-30-2011, 06:44 AM

Jack Hunter 2016!!!!

qh4dotcom
08-30-2011, 07:00 AM
Jack Hunter 2016!!!!

The economy will likely have collapsed by then

The Goat
08-30-2011, 07:07 AM
South Carolina can find another like him, theirs plenty around here. Our main concern is kicking Lindsey Gram out.

also would like to commend DeMint for the great job he does. he deserves time with his family and has said many times he doesn't see a president in himself.

No Free Beer
08-30-2011, 07:18 AM
Do I smell a Jim DeMint endorsement coming? *exploding*

civusamericanus
08-30-2011, 07:29 AM
Do I smell a Jim DeMint endorsement coming? *exploding*
I say yes!

Kelly.
08-30-2011, 08:55 AM
if not by then, pretty close thereafter, which i think is why he wont seek re-election.

cheapseats
08-30-2011, 09:04 AM

Maybe Jim DeMint is scootin' with the loot while the gettin' is good.

More than half of Congress ARE millionaires, and their median net worth DID increase via MANMADE financial "crisis".

Too, widespread grumbling suggests Congress will actually have to WORK going forward. And if a truly righteous person would occupy the White House, some could even be held accountable for past malfeasance. NOT that I hear ANY presidential candidates talking about THAT.

Yuck! There's easier money to be made in LOBBYING. Hell, there's MORE money to be made in LOBBYING.

cheapseats
08-30-2011, 10:36 AM
I can imagine an EXODUS if the American People would offer AMNESTY to American Officials who announce their commitment to exit Public Service, and NOT enter the LOBBYING SECTOR, at the end of their current terms.

trey4sports
08-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Jack Hunter needs to make a play for Demint's seat.

AuH20
08-30-2011, 10:51 AM
if not by then, pretty close thereafter, which i think is why he wont seek re-election.

He was going to retire last term. This was long coming. It has nothing to do with the economy.

LibertyEagle
08-30-2011, 10:57 AM
I'm sad about him leaving. It would be nice to have him there when Rand is President. :)

LibertyEagle
08-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Jack Hunter needs to make a play for Demint's seat.

Well then, he'd better run for some kind of public office before that. It has happened before, but it's pretty rare that someone wins a Senate seat without ever having held some kind of public office.

cheapseats
08-30-2011, 11:23 AM
He was going to retire last term. This was long coming.

Are you suggesting he stayed in office for the good of the country? That he placed no stock in the theory of FRESH BLOOD, and that we NEEDED him? Basically, he's been doing us a FAVOR?

It has nothing to do with the economy.

NOTHING to do with money?

LibertyEagle
08-30-2011, 11:30 AM
Are you suggesting he stayed in office for the good of the country? That he placed no stock in the theory of FRESH BLOOD, and that we NEEDED him? Basically, he's been doing us a FAVOR?

There are a few up there who love their country, you know? DeMint has been one of the decent ones, in my opinion.

NOTHING to do with money?

Do you have any proof of your assertion with regard to DeMint?

cheapseats
08-30-2011, 11:35 AM
There are a few up there who love their country, you know?

It stands to Reason, therefore I have little doubt of it.

ARE THEY GETTIN' THE JOB DONE?

DeMint has been one of the decent ones, in my opinion.

So you have indicated. I shall expect input from you to an upcoming question.

Do you have any proof of your assertion with regard to Demint?

Someone ELSE said, in the form of a fact, that DeMint's exit has "nothing to do with the economy."

"NOTHING to do with money?" as a response to that assertion does NOT constitute an accusation, LibertyEagle. It constitutes THINKING, referencing HISTORY as a guide.

cheapseats
08-30-2011, 11:45 AM

I'm sad about him leaving. It would be nice to have him there when Rand is President. :)

Jim DeMint entered the House of Representatives in 1998 and the Senate in 2005. Baby Boomers with Beverly Hillbillies familiarity may recall Jethro and math...naught, naught, carry the two. Jim DeMint has been in Congress for over a DOZEN years. Since before Bush/Cheney ascended the throne.

While the Subprime "Crisis" gathered. While the Derivative Debacle gathered. While predatory lenders and eyes-bigger-than-wallet GAMBLERS emerged LESS scathed than Line Towers.

Do you hold him BLAMELESS? Is NONE of this clusterfuck his fault?

LibertyEagle
08-30-2011, 11:49 AM
I hold DeMint accountable for his own actions. Nothing more; nothing less.

brandon
08-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Nice opening for Alvin Green here. Hopefully he starts fundraising now.

Buchananite
08-30-2011, 03:08 PM
DeMint is a good man. He is a true statesman and is imposing his own term limits. He is overall a good conservative and it will be sad to see him go.

If neither Rand or Ron are running, I'd like to see him be President in 2016. He might say no to it now, but deep down DeMint knows he will leave the door open and he would be a powerhouse.

FreedomProsperityPeace
08-30-2011, 04:04 PM
I wonder what these "unforeseen circumstances" are? Did someone dig up some dirt on him?

It seems like a strange time to get out of the game, when he has a leading position with the Tea Party and they're in the middle of the fight for this country. Nobody that replaces him will have the gravitas that he holds. I'm not a real big fan of him personally, but I acknowledge he has some power to help our cause for liberty and we could use him where he is.

Buchananite
08-30-2011, 04:07 PM
I wonder what these "unforeseen circumstances" are? Did someone dig up some dirt on him?

It seems like a strange time to get out of the game, when he has a leading position with the Tea Party and they're in the middle of the fight for this country. Nobody that replaces him will have the gravitas that he holds. I'm not a real big fan of him personally, but I acknowledge he has some power to help our cause for liberty and we could use him where he is.

Doubt it, 2016 is over 4 years away.

Slutter McGee
08-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Jim DeMint entered the House of Representatives in 1998 and the Senate in 2005. Baby Boomers with Beverly Hillbillies familiarity may recall Jethro and math...naught, naught, carry the two. Jim DeMint has been in Congress for over a DOZEN years. Since before Bush/Cheney ascended the throne.

While the Subprime "Crisis" gathered. While the Derivative Debacle gathered. While predatory lenders and eyes-bigger-than-wallet GAMBLERS emerged LESS scathed than Line Towers.

Do you hold him BLAMELESS? Is NONE of this clusterfuck his fault?

I realize that you are banned right now. But this is the 8th dumbest fucking thing I have ever fucking read on here. Ron Paul was in Congress when this happened. ITS HIS FAULT ALSO.

He was all about inflation. He secretly wants it to happen so he makes more money in his gold holdings.

Fark you.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

AuH20
08-31-2011, 07:51 AM

I think the fact that Lee and Paul have aptly replaced him as the prominent thorns in the heel of the GOP has made his retirement choice easier. The rebel alliance has been left in good hands so to speak. He wanted to retire last term, but felt compelled to come back, citing it a mission from God. And as far as post-Senate life for DeMint, it sounds like he's going to focus on augmenting the influence of his Senate Conservative Fund.