PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Dollars May Now Be Subject To Seizure By Secret Service

Kregisen
08-30-2011, 01:21 AM
http://www.coinworld.com/articles/liberty-dollars-may-be-subject-to-seizure/

Liberty Dollars held by collectors may be subject to seizure as contraband by federal law enforcement, officials with the U.S. Attorney’s Office and Secret Service said Aug. 24.

Statements by officials for those two federal law enforcement agencies seem to reverse the position taken in comments released from the United States Attorney’s Office in Charlotte, N.C., and published in Coin World in April, that mere possession of Liberty Dollars did not constitute a violation of any federal statute.
That position has apparently changed, although officials of the U.S. Secret Service — which would be the federal agency likely charged with executing any possible seizures — would not provide any definitive comments concerning under what circumstances Liberty Dollars would be seized.

The revised stance is tied to the Liberty Dollar being determined in a federal court to violate federal counterfeiting statutes. Liberty Dollars, metallic medallic pieces, were privately promoted as a form of currency that could be used in commerce as an alternative to Federal Reserve notes.

U.S. Attorney’s Office

Jill Rose, chief of the criminal division for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Charlotte, N.C., told Coin World Aug. 24 that the Liberty Dollar medallions are confiscable as contraband regardless if they are being exhibited for educational purposes only.

Rose served as lead prosecutor in the Bernard von NotHaus case. Von NotHaus, creator of the Liberty Dollars, was convicted in federal court in March on multiple charges involving the alternative currency.
Rose said because von NotHaus’ conviction included violations of Sections 485 and 486 of Title 18 of the United States Code, the Liberty Dollar medallions were determined to be counterfeits, contraband and subject to seizure.

The Liberty Dollar represented “a pyramid scheme imbedded with fraud” that had nothing to do with barter or trade, according to Rose.

“Barter is an equal and knowing exchange,” which the Liberty Dollar was proven in court not to be, Rose said.

read more at link

Expect prices to shoot up....I just bought another off ebay. I wonder if they'll eventually pressure ebay into never listing them again.

CaptainAmerica
08-30-2011, 01:29 AM
I do have one as a collectors item pre-ban era. LOL

foofighter20x
08-30-2011, 01:41 AM
I'd suggest melting them if you want to guarantee they won't be confiscated should the SecServ come knocking... That way you can at least keep the silver.

CaptainAmerica
08-30-2011, 01:42 AM
I am a historical collector ;)

foofighter20x
08-30-2011, 01:46 AM
I was thinking of starting my own mint, but I would only sell precious metal pieces as collector items, they wouldn't resemble anything near any U.S. or existing currency.

Kregisen
08-30-2011, 09:19 AM
How rare do you guys think these will get now? Will collectors start melting them down due to fear of confiscation?

VBRonPaulFan
08-30-2011, 09:27 AM
How rare do you guys think these will get now? Will collectors start melting them down due to fear of confiscation?

isn't it completely asinine that we even have to ask questions like this? we have to melt our real money for fear that it'll be forcibly taken from us...

TexAg09
08-30-2011, 09:30 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. Hide and say you don't have it. It's not like they're going to search all through your house to find one damn coin....

If they do, then we should protest that as a waste of taxpayer money lol

brushfire
08-30-2011, 09:43 AM
http://geekadelphia.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/santa_arrested_by_stormtroo.jpg

Yup... they're coming.

oyarde
08-30-2011, 10:01 AM
What are they going for on e bay ?

Kregisen
08-30-2011, 10:01 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. Hide and say you don't have it. It's not like they're going to search all through your house to find one damn coin....

I'm assuming if they'll be banned items then it will also be illegal to sell them on ebay, which means it will be much harder to get a hold of them.

dannno
08-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Are the courts pretending not to know what counterfeiting actually is, or do the judges have an agenda?

I'd like to sit down with these morons making these decisions and ask them how making a competing currency that is clearly not U.S. dollars is counterfeiting a U.S. dollar.

Kregisen
08-30-2011, 10:23 PM
What are they going for on e bay ?

There are many different ones with varying prices...but I'm definitely seeing an uptick in purchasing today.

Paulatized
08-31-2011, 05:32 AM
A question out of ignorance. Does this included the Ron Paul liberty silver dollars (Gold Standard in Leadership on one side and Vote For Truth on the other side)? I got one for Christmas last year. Just wondering...

demolama
08-31-2011, 08:26 AM
I believe anything minted by NORFED or Liberty Dollars are targetted.

FunkBuddha
08-31-2011, 08:46 AM

I spent all of my gold/silver on hookers and blow. I'm very fortunate to have such a forgiving wife.

Kregisen
09-01-2011, 01:23 AM
A question out of ignorance. Does this included the Ron Paul liberty silver dollars (Gold Standard in Leadership on one side and Vote For Truth on the other side)? I got one for Christmas last year. Just wondering...

Yup all liberty dollars...question is would they really try to seize them? who knows.

Paulatized
09-01-2011, 05:32 AM
Posted by Paulatized
A question out of ignorance. Does this included the Ron Paul liberty silver dollars (Gold Standard in Leadership on one side and Vote For Truth on the other side)? I got one for Christmas last year. Just wondering...[

Yup all liberty dollars...question is would they really try to seize them? who knows.

Too bad then that it was dropped over the side of a boat and sunk to the bottom of a lake.

Anti Federalist
09-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Too bad then that it was dropped over the side of a boat and sunk to the bottom of a lake.

Yup, it's shame all five of mine were lost overboard as well.

If they were not, I could sell, what cost me $20 a piece plus shipping, for $500 a piece. (what a quick search of eBay rendered)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NORFED-2008-Ron-Paul-1oz-Silver-999-RARE-VOTE-TRUTH-/160591491391?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2563ffb13f

Kregisen
09-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Yup, it's shame all five of mine were lost overboard as well.

If they were not, I could sell, what cost me $20 a piece plus shipping, for $500 a piece. (what a quick search of eBay rendered)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NORFED-2008-Ron-Paul-1oz-Silver-999-RARE-VOTE-TRUTH-/160591491391?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2563ffb13f

Going rate on those is $140...I mean, I could list one of mine on ebay for $2,000, that doesn't mean it's worth $2,000...(140 is still a lot though!)

amy31416
09-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Weirdest thing happened, everyone who used to hold liberty dollars sold them on Craigslist to some stranger named Ben Bernanke over a year ago.

Seraphim
09-01-2011, 09:54 AM
"The revised stance is tied to the Liberty Dollar being determined in a federal court to violate federal counterfeiting statutes. "

Counter fitters calling legitimate money makers counter fitters.

DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO - Twilight zone shit. Unreal. Hey Mr. Federal Fuckwad, fuck you and your fucking dog.

oyarde
09-01-2011, 10:33 AM
"The revised stance is tied to the Liberty Dollar being determined in a federal court to violate federal counterfeiting statutes. "

Counter fitters calling legitimate money makers counter fitters.

DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO - Twilight zone shit. Unreal. Hey Mr. Federal Fuckwad, fuck you and your fucking dog. Love it .